Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to have put a packet of penguins in the foodbank trolly?

(109 Posts)
bubblesinthesky Tue 09-Apr-13 09:41:11

Our local asda has a foodbank trolly and I usually try to put something in when I shop there. Normally its tins or pasta but yesterday for a change I picked up a box of shreddies. I also saw penguins were on special offer so thought I'd get a packet of those too as I thought someone with children may appreciate them for a change.

As I put them in the trolly a woman walked up with a tin of kidney beans and another of mixed beans and said "haven't you read the sign they want nutritious food only, no point giving them unhealthy food". I muttered something about people needing a treat occasionally and went on my way.

Its still irritating me this morning so thought I'd put it to the AIBU jury

ShoeHorn Tue 09-Apr-13 10:53:22

what a stupid woman. We all treat ourselves, why not treat others.

ohforfoxsake Tue 09-Apr-13 10:56:37

The one thing we don't have enough of is tinned puddings - on the 'if we have them' part of the list. We had tins and tins of Quality Street donated by a supermarket ready to go out at Easter. Kidney beans go in a chilli, but then you need meat or meat substitute. Does anyone really want to eat kidney beans in any other form?

Everyone gets the basics, everyone deserves a treat.

angry that we even need to have foodbanks in this day and age, but that's another thread.

Chunderella Tue 09-Apr-13 11:04:24

Useful to know about shortage items. I shall try and remember that.

WishIdbeenatigermum Tue 09-Apr-13 11:04:42

Her contribution was rubbish OP!
Yours was perfect!

thermalsinapril Tue 09-Apr-13 11:08:00

YANBU. Chocolate is good for the morale smile Physical health is important but so is emotional wellbeing.

Toasttoppers Tue 09-Apr-13 11:15:11

There is a treat box in the FB I help in, at Christmas a woman bought two carrier bags of chocolate in. Boxes of thorntons. And roses. I think she said she was a teacher and had received so much she had kept one bag for her family and gave the rest to us.

We had 50 selection boxes donated by a company to give to children and adults for Christmas. I actually got a bit over emotional at that point.

Everyone needs a little treat sometimes, she sounds a bit deserving poor to me.

niceguy2 Tue 09-Apr-13 11:20:48

I used to volunteer to help collect for our local foodbank but don't have the time anymore so not sure if this has changed or not.

But certainly with our local one we had an agreement with the supermarket that any inappropriate food donated could be swapped at the end of the day for something more appropriate.

Not sure if that's the case with foodbanks in other areas but it seems rude to tell people who have kindly donated that their donation is not appreciated.

McBalls Tue 09-Apr-13 11:25:18

This didn't happens though, did it?

I mean, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but...

IShallCallYouSquishy Tue 09-Apr-13 11:32:45

Surely the important thing is you were actually donating to the food bank?

I always walk past ours and forget to get anything. I'm going to make an effort this week to donate!

YANBU!

BlackeyedSusan England Tue 09-Apr-13 11:33:23

it might stop some kid getting bullied bout their pcked lunch. it might cheer someone up.

i like kidney and mixed beans. (good cheap protein) I also love the occasional treat.

nenevomito Tue 09-Apr-13 11:35:14

How do you know it didn't McBalls? ESP? Woo?

Why comment if you don't believe? I mean, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but...

when I go in asda I buy packs of the farmstores custard cream to put in, also put things like pasta and soup etc in ( £5 limit )

101handbags Tue 09-Apr-13 11:37:28

I give a bag of shopping to the food bank my friend is involved with whenever I see her. I always buy from the list with one exception which is a packet of penguins... so no YANBU, everyone needs a treat and as long as you give the healthy stuff most of the time, I really don't see a problem. At Easter and Christmas they actually ask for small treats - boxes of chocolate, small easter eggs etc.

Lovecat Tue 09-Apr-13 11:39:01

I know that if I was in such dire straits as to need to go to a foodbank I'd be very grateful for whatever I got, but if I got handed a tin of mixed beans my (ungrateful) heart would sink even as I thanked them for it. Bleuch.

quoteunquote Tue 09-Apr-13 11:40:09

that woman is a twonktitwanburger please take no notice, she is talking total shit,

Thank you so much for your donation, please keep putting diverse items in, it really helps when making up boxes, especially for families, even things like little packs of jelly, are very welcome.

We end up dividing up multi packs, just to share them around.

bubblesinthesky Tue 09-Apr-13 11:41:21

Thanks for the list of shortage items. Tuna or tinned meat it is next time. For some reason can not bring myself to donate UHT milk I can't abide the stuff so the thought of giving it to anyone else is horrible even though I know its better for people if they don't have a fridge.

I like mixed beans. I add a tin of tomatoes, some veg stock and a bit of chilli powder and call it mixed bean and tomato soup grin DD loves it

bubblesinthesky Tue 09-Apr-13 11:44:58

and yes it did happen I don't think she meant it as more than a throw away comment but it hugely irritated me!

To be fair to her there was a poster asking for ingredients that could be used to make up meals and normally that's what I give but I was feeling rebellious yesterday and thought the shreddies would balance things out anyway

PurpleStorm Tue 09-Apr-13 11:45:03

YANBU.

I checked the shopping list for our local foodbank, and the items they ask for include chocolate, biscuits and snack bars.

Useful to see the posts upthread saying which items foodbanks tend to run short of though.

GW297 Tue 09-Apr-13 11:47:17

Useful to know what food banks are generally short of and will bear that in mind for future donations - thanks. Tins of rice pudding are really cheap to donate and warm and filling too!

ComposHat Belgium Tue 09-Apr-13 11:49:39

do they still make penguins? i may have to buy a pack myself.

But YANBU the woman was being a joyless self righteous twunt. How dare she dictate what 'they' can eat!

dashoflime Tue 09-Apr-13 11:55:28

Kidney Beans?!

Does she eat kidney beans at home? I fucking doubt it!

Pah! angry

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Tue 09-Apr-13 11:58:24

Yanbu. I'd have told her to shut her cunt. Reckon she would have taken that badly grin

Alligatorpie Tue 09-Apr-13 11:58:55

I once heard a woman on the radio who spoke about having to rely on foodbanks as a child. she never had cookies or other treats and consequently was bullied at school. Now every Xmas she buys a trolley full of treats to donate.

It made me think and i usually donate treats as well as staples. That woman was rude.

cathers Tue 09-Apr-13 12:00:58

She is talking ass. At our food bank, the most frequent group of people needing food is sadly families with young children. I think it was lovely for you to give chocolate bars- just the sort of thing children would love. Just because you require foodbank services doesn't mean you should just eat pasta and rice.

LovePickles Tue 09-Apr-13 12:02:05

YANBU, she should mind her own. You're giving and still made to feel guilty?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now