ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

To wonder why thatcher was at the ritz

(147 Posts)
Lockedout434 Tue 09-Apr-13 07:38:28

I understood that she was very ill with alzimers and had been suffering since 2000 ish. Was she living there or had she been taken out by someone.

Anyone any ideas?

ChocsAwayInMyGob Tue 09-Apr-13 09:27:28

I think it is sad that she probably didn't get many family visitors because of her alzheimers.

Lots of guessing here. We don't know that she didn't get many visitors. Apparently her daughter is devoted to her.

Artichook Tue 09-Apr-13 09:35:29

She was not able to make decisions about her own care, decisions were made by friends and family. The Barclay brothers own The Telegraph and The Ritz and were old friends. If you were her caters and were offered free accommodation at The Ritz vs the hassle if finding somewhere else what would you have chosen? I doubt she was even aware she was there.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 09-Apr-13 09:37:55

Artichook

sHenwillnhavebbeniffitted fromthe individualmattention, food and comfort ofmthe Ritz, aware oor not

LaQueen Tue 09-Apr-13 09:38:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 09-Apr-13 09:38:16

You get the gist...

Artichook Tue 09-Apr-13 09:44:36

Fair enough LaQueen, I am pretty sure that if my mother was a massive security risk and not able to be accommodated in a normal nursing home but had old friends who offered free accommodation I'd go with the friends. I'm not sure I see the ethical problem.

PeneloPeePitstop Tue 09-Apr-13 09:45:46

I'd heard that since her operation her Belgravia home wasn't appropriate as it didn't have disability adaptations that she needed.

givemeaclue Tue 09-Apr-13 09:50:59

There were stairs in her home. Lots ofvery v wealthy elderly people choose to end their days in luxury hotels.

More like a travel inn for me...

givemeaclue Tue 09-Apr-13 09:51:35

She had her own two nurses

worldgonecrazy Tue 09-Apr-13 09:52:47

She may have been surrounded by the luxury of the Ritz, but she still died a lonely old woman who spent her last Christmases alone except for her (paid for) carers. I feel no envy or hatred for the woman, just a sadness at the glee and misogyny being displayed by a lot of people who should know better.

givemeaclue Tue 09-Apr-13 09:53:28

Thatcher died a very wealthy woman. Be under no illusions that she was "comfortable". She was rich.

LaQueen Tue 09-Apr-13 09:54:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FunnyLittleFrog Tue 09-Apr-13 09:55:43

Where were her kids? Why did she spend Christmas alone?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 09-Apr-13 09:56:16

LaQueen

Maybe because some of us don't hold her in any great esteem.

I'm sorry she suffered with ALzheimers. I'm sure those who loved her will be grief stricken.

Artichook Tue 09-Apr-13 09:57:15

LaQueen - It's how politicians are traditionally referred to:

Blair is in the US...
Brown was bitter...
Major had an affair...
Thatcher died...
Wilson closed mines too...
Obama payed tribute...
Chirac had an airport named after him...

Why the raised eyebrow?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 09-Apr-13 09:57:58

Atrichook

And that

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 09-Apr-13 09:58:50

Btw

Misygyny?

Must have missed that

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 09-Apr-13 09:59:09

Or even misogyny

WilsonFrickett Tue 09-Apr-13 10:01:02

Rich person has rich friends who put her up for free in their nice hotel. It's hardly a leap, is it? And she would have paid for her own care. I also presume she was still considered a high security risk.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 09-Apr-13 10:03:05

So now we're knocking her decision on where to stay in her final years hmm The woman had Alzheimers FFS, I really don't think she had much say in the matter. Family would have decided all that. But lets just blame her anyway hmm

Levantine Tue 09-Apr-13 10:12:14

I am no fan <understatement> but I don't have a big problem with her staying at the Ritz (Barclay brothers tax affairs notwithstanding)

Where is the misogyny? I don't see any. I find it very strange that her biggest supporters keep playing the frail old lady card. Why? She was incredibly powerful in her time.

Booyhoo Tue 09-Apr-13 10:13:38

"She should have sold up and got a granny flat and paid out of her own pocket for full time care. "

why if someone has offered to cover the cost of her stay at the hotel?

and also, she was quite well off, i'd say she did pay for her own care.

worldgonecrazy Tue 09-Apr-13 10:13:40

I don't know why she spent Christmas (and most other days) alone. Maybe her dedication to her job damaged her relationship with her children. Maybe her fairweather friends deserted her? Maybe her Alzheimers was too bad for her to be tolerable/bearable? Whatever her past achievements, her ending was extremely sad.

Lueji Tue 09-Apr-13 10:18:16

Does it even matter?

Lockedout434 Tue 09-Apr-13 10:18:16

I thought she had gone for dinner or something with someone.
So if she was that ill then how ill was she when Cameron wheeled her out for the cameras at 10 downing st in 2008 (I think)

Didn't like the women but even I think that's eeeew to make political capital over a sick women. Eeeew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now