To always be thankful to Maggie the milk snatcher

(79 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 08-Apr-13 20:55:56

For getting rid of school milk as i hate milk and it made me vom - just recollecting those warm bottles with the disgusting 'cream' on top putrifying grin. I used to be forced to drink it and just the smell would set me off so Maggiei salute you in all your milk snatching glory

babybarrister Tue 09-Apr-13 17:15:09

clearly there was quite a lot of wasted milk that could have been put to a better use rather than poured sureptitiously down drains and sinks grin

saulaboutme Tue 09-Apr-13 16:23:53

Yabu! I was lucky enough to have a dad who worked and had lots of milk at home. Plenty of my friends didn't! I remember the milk not being there anymore and the tears.
It may have been a relief for you but not everyone. Where I went to school there was alot of poverty and the milk was looked forward to.
What a ridiculous thing to thank her for.
I think it's another example of her being detached from RL. I hate her for it.

zukiecat Tue 09-Apr-13 14:44:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yetanotherworry Tue 09-Apr-13 14:36:12

I was one of those children who needed it because of lack of food at home but still have nightmares of being forced to drink it at school when it was warm and rancid in Summer. We didn't get the biscuits either - I'm sure it would have been better to just give out toast.

forevergreek Tue 09-Apr-13 14:31:33

What? I never got a viscount biscuit!! Just a basic rich tea or nothing sad

babybarrister Tue 09-Apr-13 14:28:36

I am sorry for people who needed the milk as they were hungry and I do certainly think that there should have been something in place - not necessarily cow's milk - for those children whose parents' could not give them a proper breakfast for whatever reason.

This thread though was meant to be light hearted as when I was a child (a) I did not need the milk and (b) I hated it

Clearly I am not alone grin

NayFindus Tue 09-Apr-13 10:54:20

I loved my school milks, I was always bloody starving in school and it was the best part of the day, just sitting there for 2 minutes enjoying the lovely creaminess of it.

I still remember a girl called Melody I had to sit next to in English, she would always glare at me in disgust because my tummy was rumbling but the whole class was silent because we were reading and I couldn't do anything to disguise it, oh the shame sad

shrimponastick Tue 09-Apr-13 10:37:30

I can smell it now. 40 years later. Ugh.

Loitering by the art sink to surreptitiously tip mine down the plughole.. ;)

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Tue 09-Apr-13 10:35:40

Don'tmind. Seriously, she did you a favour!

AvrilPoisson Tue 09-Apr-13 10:35:11

Skimmed/semi-skimmed didn't really appear until 80s here cory, no idea why. My brother couldn't drink normal milk (we had pasturised sterilised stuff at home) and had to have a special order from the dairy, it was homogenised milk (ie had the fat broken up) which he could just about tolerate, though goats milk was better, but our milkman couldn't get it hmm
We occasionally did get him gotsmilk from the health food shop where we bought our pasta, I kid you not! Couldn't get pasta in the supermarket!

DontmindifIdo Tue 09-Apr-13 10:30:13

Cory - it was normally chilled right up to the point it was delivered to the school, then it would sit out getting warm until they forced the children to drink it.

DontmindifIdo Tue 09-Apr-13 10:29:23

oh thank god for her snatching the milk before I started school - DB remembers it being horrible, at least I was saved that. I hate hate hate milk. I will have yoghurt and cheese, but that's your lot.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Tue 09-Apr-13 10:28:23

Its true that school milk was fucking filthy and often left in the sun all morning. I have a lifelong hatred of milk as a result. I can have it in hot drinks, frappe or milkshake but I would gag and be sick if i tried to drink a glass of straight milk.

cory Tue 09-Apr-13 10:16:37

We had lovely chilled milk in the sixties- choice between full fat and semi skimmed. Surely British technology would have been well up to the same?

myfirstkitchen Tue 09-Apr-13 10:15:10

I drink soya milk & it has to be ice cold. Couldn't touch milk after being forced to drink bottles of rancid cottage cheese at school.

Although its a shame there isn't something for children who don't get enough. My friend teaches primary in a rough area and her hearts broken by the hungry children who can't concentrate on school because their tummies are rumbling. Maybe oat biscuits and bananas though instead of something revolting.

shrimponastick Tue 09-Apr-13 10:06:21

Wow! And I thought it was just me that is now a lifelong milk hater from school luke warm claggy milk.

Haven't touched the stuff since.

Bleurgh....

Coconutty Tue 09-Apr-13 10:03:48

I literally have to stop myself being sick when I think of those warm, grey liquid filled bottles.

I missed so many playtimes as you had to drink it before you could go out and I really couldn't get it down. Yuk.

Another one who still doesn't drink milk now after being forced to drink little bottles of lukewarm gloop milk in school.

Even after decades the smell of warm milk turns my stomach.

I have soya milk on cereal and black tea and coffee.

WillowJoinInOurCrufae Tue 09-Apr-13 09:58:08

I still can't bring myself to drink milk now because of the disgusting stuff we used to be forced to drink at school. The smell ... the taste ... it was horrific. So I was pleased when it stopped, though I appreciate why others think it was a bad thing.

Raven I do the exact same thing with milk for my tea and coffee. I've trained myself to drink black coffee now and I like green tea with jasmine or lemon.

What do you do about cereal? I don't eat it now, but I did as a child. I used to put the milk on, and then carefully drain each spoonful of the vile stuff. My Mum used to offer me toast or eggs but for some reason I persisted with the cereal!

Just because something's in place to help more needy children doesn't mean it's ok for it to be rancid and vile. Are kids supposed to be grateful for being made ill? Perhaps in theory it was a nice idea but many schools had nowhere to store it properly. Milk is one if the quickest foods to go off and the most allergenic food.

If there was a choice then fine but in this thread alone people were forced to drink it. That's not right by any means!

tazzle Tue 09-Apr-13 08:18:23

If you are not old enough to remember times when fruit was scarce ( hence the special treat and tradition of an orange in the toe of Xmas stocking) and having codliver oil or rosehip syrup as our vitamins and far less variety of dairy foos ... as well as just being poor and generally kess well fed then you wont appreciate why school milk was needed by many.

By the time it was abolished the same needs were not so prevalent .... though there are some children that might benefit.

....and I don't drink milk lol

SamuelWestsMistress Tue 09-Apr-13 08:09:14

I'm with you on this! I hate milk to this very day because of just what you describe. SPEW.

PMSL at "milk from a lady cow" grin

OOAOML Tue 09-Apr-13 07:58:57

I hated the stuff, why did they think it was ok to leave it out on the steps for hours? I still remember throwing up spectacularly the day we had hideous macaroni cheese (lots of burnt bits a speciality in my primary) for lunch and I couldn't cope with the dairy overload.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now