To always be thankful to Maggie the milk snatcher

(79 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 08-Apr-13 20:55:56

For getting rid of school milk as i hate milk and it made me vom - just recollecting those warm bottles with the disgusting 'cream' on top putrifying grin. I used to be forced to drink it and just the smell would set me off so Maggiei salute you in all your milk snatching glory

elfycat Mon 08-Apr-13 21:36:27

I've always said that Mrs T. was one of my heroes for getting rid of that milk. Out all morning in the sun then children were forced to drink it. Rancid, going off milk. My DF cannot drink milk or have cream because of his milk experience so it went on for a whole generation longer than it should have.

Let's face it, it would be illegal to handle food in this manner now.

LornMowa Mon 08-Apr-13 21:36:49

Another one here with memories of the relief that I wouldn't have to drink any more of the foul stuff. I do remember liking the Christmas bottle tops with holly on them though.

AmandaCooper Mon 08-Apr-13 21:39:29

I always remember it frozen in winter, exploding up out of the bottles and us all waiting for it to thaw to drink it.

WandaDoff Mon 08-Apr-13 21:45:03

It's giving me the boak just thinking about it.

I still can't drink plain milk. Yuck. <<shudders>>

I never did understand why they were so insistent on it being drunk. In sure kids could get through the day without their nasty warm dumped outside building milk. Who wouldn't have preferred a glass from the fridge at home.

I feel sick reading this thread. God I can't stand the site of it . grin

TigerSwallowtail Mon 08-Apr-13 21:54:10

Our milk was kept in a cool bag type thing and tasted lovely.

AwkwardSquad Mon 08-Apr-13 21:54:16

I used to quite like it when it was part frozen. Milk slushy.

Fargo86 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:56:19

We still got it at school in the early 80s. Maybe parents had to pay for it though.

Nancy66 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:59:14

it was horrible - but being milk monitor and getting to pierce all the lids with a skewer was ace.

HumphreyCobbler Mon 08-Apr-13 22:02:21

we still have milk in Wales. They used to have pink or blue cartons in my old school. I found one lad crying over his pink carton "I didn't want milk from a lady cow, Miss!"

Toasttoppers Mon 08-Apr-13 22:03:28

DH hated it and even as a six year old felt perturbed as to why we all got it. I on the other hand was grateful as we were not fed enough at home. I remember my lovely teacher letting me have a second bottle if there were spare.

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 08-Apr-13 22:06:39

Exactly..it was for kids who didn't get enough to eat at home

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 08-Apr-13 22:07:17

So moaning about it is just utterly missing the point

EuroShaggleton Mon 08-Apr-13 22:07:55

I agree, OP. Vile nasty warm stuff. <shudder> I eventually persuaded my parent to write a note so I didn't have to have the damned stuff anymore.

FirstVix Mon 08-Apr-13 22:24:13

Well Fanjo, that's a good point. Although I hated the warm, rancid stuff myself.

But...wasn't she also responsible in some way for the Mr Whippy-type ice-cream? Complete philistine that I am I STILL love that stuff now!

We still had this at primary school in the early 90s. I think it was kept in a fridge by that point though. But I have never liked milk and it makes me heave. In reception, my mum was allowed to bring a carton of Ribena for me, but that stopped in year 1. The school tried to insist I drink the evil vile stuff milk, but luckily my mum hates milk too and said she wasn't going to force me to drink something I genuinely dislike. The teachers used to make me and another girl who didn't have the milk (I'm pretty sure her family were vegan) sit in a classroom by ourselves and made lots of comments about our refusal to drink the milk sad

I can understand the milk being for kids who don't get enough at home, but that wasn't the case with either of us. I used to get plenty of calcium from yoghurts and stuff. It was just mean to penalise us for disliking something, and it still makes me sad.

My parents wrote a note so I didn't have to have it. I drove my mum crazy with my refusal to drink it and my insistence of inspecting the milk to check for cream as to whether I'd have it on cereal.

I do not Remember a time where I ever drank plain milk. I must have been a toddler as I remember not even drinking it at Pre school.

Jan49 Tue 09-Apr-13 00:32:21

I remember I always found drinking the whole bottle too much so one day I tried just not taking my bottle from the crate. Unfortunately the crate contained exactly the right number of bottles for the class and the teacher noticed and insisted I drank it.

Someone asked me today if Margaret Thatcher ever did anything good and thanks to this thread I've realised that's one good thing she did.grin

I threw up and was sent home every day for the first two weeks I was at school because they made me drink it. Then my Mum asked what was going on and they told her I was always sick after milk time.
She told them to stop making me drink the milk. I wasn't sick any more. Doh!

Morloth Tue 09-Apr-13 01:00:01

I will never get my head around drinking milk.

It grosses me out.

Weird really as cheese/cream is fine as is eating the cow.

But the thought of drinking milk is just yuck.

TheRealFellatio Tue 09-Apr-13 01:11:50

Another full-fat, luke warm milk hater signing in. Funnily enough, I was thinking about this last night, and how I don't know what all the bloody fuss was over stopping the milk - did anyone actually enjoy it?

I can still remember that smell to this day....and that vile solidfied yellow grease around the top of the bottle......and the bird pecked holes in the foil. UUUUURGHHH.<shudders>

Angelico Tue 09-Apr-13 01:17:46

I loved it in winter when it was icy cold but it was utterly boke-making in the summer. We had it all through the eighties too so I was a bit confused when they said on the news that she stopped it in the seventies.

I HATED the school milk. It was frozen in winter, then rancid, lumpy and stinking in the summer. I have hated milk all my life. I even remember being forced to drink it at play-school when I was 3. I used to sneak my bottle to one of the boys to drink, and he'd give me his empty one back so I could return it to the crate.

And don't get me started on malted milk biscuits!

ravenAK Tue 09-Apr-13 01:33:07

Cannot drink milk to this day.

I follow colleagues round the staffroom asking them to 'sniff this for me, is it off?' because the smell of it makes me boak even when it isn't.

But I don't like black coffee so have to have precisely the right amount of milk which an independent witness has verified as 'no, it's FINE raven, ffs, have you thought of trying herbal tea?'

So, OK, chalk that one up in her favour, if nothing else.

Machli Tue 09-Apr-13 02:51:17

It was fine in winter, nice and cold but in summer it was grim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now