To always be thankful to Maggie the milk snatcher

(79 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 08-Apr-13 20:55:56

For getting rid of school milk as i hate milk and it made me vom - just recollecting those warm bottles with the disgusting 'cream' on top putrifying grin. I used to be forced to drink it and just the smell would set me off so Maggiei salute you in all your milk snatching glory

usualsuspect Mon 08-Apr-13 20:56:51

Ok then.

Theicingontop Mon 08-Apr-13 20:58:25

Right...

HairyGrotter Mon 08-Apr-13 20:59:04

YABVU

Drink your fucking milk

WestieMamma Mon 08-Apr-13 21:00:46

We used to get milk and viscount biscuit. Best bit of going to school.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Mon 08-Apr-13 21:01:41

Oh I just adore viscount biscuits .

TWinklyLittleStar Mon 08-Apr-13 21:04:01

School milk was fucking horrible, it was always left at the front of the classroom getting warm during the day, nasty nasty stuff, and I didn't get sent to school with biscuits to make it better. I do love a mint viscount.

TWinklyLittleStar Mon 08-Apr-13 21:05:00
HelenDaniels Mon 08-Apr-13 21:05:34

I think I would have cried if I had been made to drink milk at school. I can't stand milk at the best of times and can't imagine it warm.

babybarrister Mon 08-Apr-13 21:05:42

She did a great job for children everywhere in ridding them of the vile stuff that is milk grin

landofsoapandglory Mon 08-Apr-13 21:07:40

School milk was always left outside in the sun at our school. If you were lucky the birds had got to the tops first, and pecked their way through saving you a job!

Cold warm sourish milk still makes me heave now!

I quite like a Viscount though!

Another milk hater here. Pre school regretted the day they tried to force me to drink it. Major major tears grin

I still hate it 30 years later.

But hey some kids love it I guess. But I still shudder at the thought if those horrid little warm cartons

DolomitesDonkey Mon 08-Apr-13 21:09:13

Signs in for milk-haters. Love milk, hate warm milk.

HollyBerryBush Mon 08-Apr-13 21:09:39

Never let a myth get in the way of truth grin

Harold Wilson's Labour government stopped free milk for secondary school pupils in 1968 and then in 1971, Lady Thatcher, who was education secretary under Sir Edward Heath, ended free school milk for children over the age of seven.

Although the move gave her the nickname "Thatcher, Thatcher, milk-snatcher" and cemented the public view that she would ruthlessly cut spending, documents released recently suggest she had actually fought to save the grants. She was overruled by Sir Edward.

tethersend Mon 08-Apr-13 21:09:48

I was the milk monitor and got to ride on the caretaker's trolley.

My memory of that is less dodgy than it sounds on reading it back.

Gorjuss Mon 08-Apr-13 21:09:55

Those little glass bottles !!! I remember being made to pour off the cream so we could do a class project making butter.

BeingAWifeIsNotForMe Mon 08-Apr-13 21:09:59

Oh god yes.

Milk left out in the sun, the tops had all been pecked by humphrey and not allowed out to play until you had finished. sad

Bunbaker Mon 08-Apr-13 21:10:33

Pity she didn't outlaw parsnips thengrin

I get that you have issues with milk.

M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 21:10:59

It was foul. I remember it in first school. It's that that's out me off milk from the bottle. I can't drink it now because of that.
We had little blue straws too. Eurgh!!!!! Making me gag thinking about.

barebranches Mon 08-Apr-13 21:14:23

its happening again.... my reception children will each loose their free milk ( which i keep in a fridge) as they turn 5. bloody tories....

babybarrister Mon 08-Apr-13 21:15:09

Well it was Maggie that saved me as I was in primary school when she got rid of it for primary schools grin
The bloody straws would never go through the tops and I got no biscuits not that you would know it as I was always chubby foul crates of the stuff souring in the sun ever day angry

chicaguapa Mon 08-Apr-13 21:18:14

You can still buy them. Does this bring back bad memories? school milk bottles

nametakenagain Mon 08-Apr-13 21:25:58

Disgusting stuff, warm, congealed, bleugh.

But sometimes, if I was very quick, I'd get a red straw rather than a standard blue one.

Still disgusting stuff, though

McNewPants2013 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:28:01

I love milk, it was never in school when i was growing up.

E320 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:35:01

Should we all not just remember that milk is actually liquid food for calves?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now