....to have a few concerns about my Beaver Leader?

(69 Posts)
LovelyMeredith Mon 08-Apr-13 20:48:25

[N.B. I would ask this on the Scouts forum, but can't get any anonymity]

Basically, I started as an Assistant Beaver Leader for my colony in October, and I have a few issues about the lack of effort from my Beaver Leader.

I totally understand that everything she does is on a voluntary basis, and that the amount of paperwork can be A LOT of dedication in itself. I don't mean to go and slag her off, I feel sometimes that the lack of effort she sometimes puts in particularly with coming up with activities does a bit of a disservice to the kids. The activities she comes up with are pretty much the bare minimum, and I've heard the Beavers say a couple of times "We've done this before" and get fed up.

I also sometimes feel she places more value in the "occasional" helpers than she does in me and the fellow Assistant Leader. Her daughter and a few of her friends are occasional helpers, and I feel like they are given more say in the running of the colony than we are just because she's her daughter.

I know from what I have heard that a previous Assistant Leader took issue with the way she ran the colony and left so I know it isn't just me. I'm a tad bit fed up because quite frankly I wonder what on earth I am doing there sometimes, and I don't feel like I'm getting enough support.

Am I justified in feeling like this? I would love to hear from anyone who have been involved in roles like this before.

AlpacaMyBags Fri 08-Aug-14 14:01:20

The leader is obviously being a beaver diva

CRYING! grin

TheFirstOfHerName Fri 08-Aug-14 13:47:58

The leader is obviously being a beaver diva...

puntasticusername Fri 08-Aug-14 13:43:06

What kind of animals? Beaver retrievers?

riskit4abiskit Fri 08-Aug-14 13:36:23

If she handles stolen animals she will be a beaver receiver

riskit4abiskit Fri 08-Aug-14 13:31:45

Is she sucking the soul out of everything she does? Perhaps shes a beaver reaver!

And im done

puntasticusername Fri 08-Aug-14 13:30:47

Actual lol.

"How to keep your home and person clean and hygienic ".

Sponsored by Beaver Unilever.

momb Fri 08-Aug-14 13:30:06

This isn't really the right place for this discussion as I think you'd get more informed opinions on a scouting forum, but as a Guider I'd say you need to discuss this with your commissioner: explain that you have concerns about equal responsibilities for the programme: is the unit actively involved in county events for example? Are you covering all areas of the programme over the year? It's definitely one to take higher.

riskit4abiskit Fri 08-Aug-14 13:29:34

Good one!

riskit4abiskit Fri 08-Aug-14 13:29:13

Offer her a rest; a beaver breather

puntasticusername Fri 08-Aug-14 13:29:09

grin

What about a session focusing on the gods of different world religions?

Beaver Shiva.

(too much?)

riskit4abiskit Fri 08-Aug-14 13:27:41

Lol pun!

But dont go talking behind her back or you will be a beaver deceiver!

puntasticusername Fri 08-Aug-14 13:27:30

Or maybe she'll never change and you'll just have to beaver leave 'er.

riskit4abiskit Fri 08-Aug-14 13:26:40

But on a serious note you could offer more help?

puntasticusername Fri 08-Aug-14 13:26:36

Or a session where you teach the boys to construct baskets and similar objects from lengths of wicker?

Beaver weavers.

riskit4abiskit Fri 08-Aug-14 13:26:08

Tell her not to be such a beaver diva

riskit4abiskit Fri 08-Aug-14 13:25:05

Or organise a cooking class with a beaver cleaver?

riskit4abiskit Fri 08-Aug-14 13:24:24

Maybe you should leave her to her beaver fever

riskit4abiskit Fri 08-Aug-14 13:23:31

Perhaps she has beaver fever?

paddleduck Fri 08-Aug-14 12:27:59

Just snorted my drink through my nose.

My beaver- hilarious!

chowhound Fri 08-Aug-14 12:25:16

Oops, didnt see just how old this thread actually is. Sorry everyone!

chowhound Fri 08-Aug-14 11:42:57

I dont know if this got sorted, being a fairly old thread, but ...

POR states that the GSL should not also be taking a section leader role too.

Rule 3.41c....
The Group Scout Leader may not hold any
other appointment in the Scout Group other
than Training Adviser.

So, if she wants to be GSL, she has to step down from BSL.

Alternatively, if she wants to be BSL, she has to step down from GSL.

Unless of course she is actually just the GSL who happens to run Beavers informally and you don't actually have a BSL? This seems really strange to me though.

Of course, if she stepped down from BSL and you took over, she would be your formal line manager (which she is not now, leaders and assistant leaders are on a par). Would you be happy with this? She should still give you the freedom to run the Colony as you see fit though, provided standards are met.

This is something that your DC should enforce.

Wow, a lot of TLAs (three letter acronyms) in this post!

StuffStuffStuff Tue 09-Apr-13 12:11:47

I was about to suggest talking to your GSL but I see that is the same person. I guess the DC would be your next option.

Do you have a Training Advisor? If so, they could give you some advice on what to expect from your role. You could also ask them to approach the leader about getting you more involved in planning/running activities - you need to do this to complete your training.

ben5 Tue 09-Apr-13 11:38:44

in fact we need a leader fancy coming here? we have sunshine!!!

ben5 Tue 09-Apr-13 11:38:01

is there another unit you can go to? if you say you are interested in becoming an assistant helper most groups dont let you walk out the door without getting you to sign something saying you'll help!!!!! is there another beaver leader in the area you can talk to? thank god Im in oz and have joeys and not beavers!!!

poozlepants Tue 09-Apr-13 11:37:31

Find a new colony. If she is your GSL I doubt much will change unless she decides to give up the Beaver section. I stuck with a colony for 3 years whilst the leader basically ran it into the ground and it was dissolved. She was just so boring and the activities were rubbish. I resorted to coming up with theme nights sorting all the stuff and then asking her could I do it and presenting her with the work I'd done and she wasn't really able to say no as it was obviuous I'd gone to loads of trouble. A lot of it was to do with the fact she didn't think that theboys were capable of doing anything at all complicated which was rubbish.

My Dad was a GSL and then district and county commissioner many moons ago and this was always a problem when there were leaders who were basically rubbish but couldn't or wouldn't be pointed in the right direction. Because it's voluntary there was a very fine line about what could be done and to avoid flouncing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now