aibu or is my neighbour?

(157 Posts)
MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 20:13:25

Its quarter past 8pm and I'm outside sawing wood on the grass and chucking it onto the patio, also using an axe to chop some logs etc etc etc. She just came to the fence all 'what on earth is all the noise!?' I said I'm just doing this <points to wood> and got back on with it. She was still standing there looking.... bewildered and shocked and told me it was too loud and she 'wants to sleep' but ffs I don't see how I can be quiter. Anyway I told her 'well I don't see how I can be quiter sorry' and got back on with it, she was pissed off

morethanpotatoprints Thu 11-Apr-13 16:38:25

It is a Youth club and associated buildings, I think they are behind schedule, but also lots of vehicles turning off main road make it difficult for people to travel into town. maybe they have these extended circumstances for H&S for road users and pedestrians, as it is really Town Centre.
It's just that there are lots of houses in our Town Centre. grin

maddening Thu 11-Apr-13 07:35:25

Morethan - if they are building check their planning permission - land next to us has planning permission with same times that don'tshout states.

I know other works do get out of hourz permission but it's usually for good reason - eg roads have to be shut or emergency work etc.

As for the 11pm thing - that is a red herring as unreasonable noise can be any time.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Thu 11-Apr-13 00:18:01

morethanpotatoprints. I know that there are situations where the standards times do not have to be adhered to. It is unusual though and you would need special consultation and permission. (As has obviously happened with the work being carried out near you)

Utility company work and road maintanance is often carried out 'after hours' as is work that has to be carried out urgently for safety reasons.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 10-Apr-13 21:59:04

DontSHOUT

They are building near to me and knock off at 9pm, there are several shifts during the day and it is council who are building. The area is Town Centre with lots of houses nearby.
Also, noise is noise and applies to everybody, so yes up to pm is fine. I'm pretty sure it was a council representative who told us this as there were lots of meetings and objection to the building, from local residents.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Wed 10-Apr-13 21:42:03

Construction companies or workshops would not be allowed to work until late. The standard time is usually 8 am (or 7.30) until 6 pm Monday to Friday. 8 am until 1 pm Saterday and not at all on Sundays or bank holidays.

However, This doesn't apply to the OP's situation as she is not a buisness.

I think if she regularly chopped wood at 8 pm then she could end up having a noise abatement notice served on her by her local council. Depending how loud it was and how close she was to her neighbours etc etc. If she just did it very occasionally then she would probably be OK. It's. all about reasonableness.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 10-Apr-13 21:25:32

YANBU, I used to live in the country and had a wood burner.
I believe the law states before 9pm for builders/ worksites etc. I don't think sawing wood is too much different than a carpenter working on site.

You have had a rough time here, You strike me as quite unconventional. Well I say its better than being boring, good luck to you. grin

sleeton Wed 10-Apr-13 21:22:06

Are you allowed to just help yourself from the woods? Aren't there rules AIUI if the woods/forests are privately owned and you take it (even fallen wood) then it is theft. If the woods are government owned (Forestry Commission) then you can apply for a "(Fire)Wood Scavenging Permit/License" which will apply to designated areas only.

HildaOgden Wed 10-Apr-13 21:20:39

Of course there is a more efficent way,get an electric saw and get the job done in much less time.

And no,I don't think you're heating your house to piss off your neighbour...but I do think you enjoy pissing her off by not making any effort to reduce the noise of organising that firewood.

Anyway,I think you've spent more time tonight thinking about this than she has,she quite possibly pities you foraging for fallen wood and carting them home,babe in sling,to chop them by hand.She certainly doesn't envy you,that's for sure!

If this was an unusual occurence,I'd say she was unreasonable.As it's a daily occurence (albeit different times),I'd say she was reasonable in her belief that A) it was bloody noisy and B)it was likely to go in for a while.

Anyway,you seem to think you are totally in the right so I won't waste any more time on this.

MsBella Wed 10-Apr-13 21:10:28

Its good for me Hilda! And nope since I don't have a car and can't afford to buy it there's not a more efficent way
Of course a bit of physical work won't wreck someones body, quite the opposite I'm sure
And no of course I don't heat my house to piss my neighbour off haha

HildaOgden Wed 10-Apr-13 20:41:09

I'm astonished at how much of your time is spent sorting out wood for the fire,between collecting it and chopping it.Seriously,there has to be a more efficent of doing it.Life is too short to wreck your body with such manual labour....if it was me,I'd take in a lodger --or sell a kidney--and save up for central heating!

I have to save,it would grate on my nerves to hear the sound of chopping wood every day/night,and I'd wonder if you were doing it deliberately to piss me off which I'm beginning to suspect may be part of your motive too

crashdoll Wed 10-Apr-13 19:38:15

Firstly, very annoying when people start threads asking AIBU and are not even prepared to listen to any opinions that contradict theirs. That said, Midnight was too snarky and OTT.

Secondly, you were both being a bit U - being a neighbour means occasionally you put with annoying noises but equally, sometimes we have to be considerate of others.

MsBella Wed 10-Apr-13 19:20:50

She works part time on some days in the daytime

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 10-Apr-13 10:59:57

I'm glad you gave the extra info OP! Because TBH i was thinking you sounded pretty narky and rigid over something quite sortable. I guess the question is, how do you go from here. I'd still advocate reason over rudeness because you dn't want an escalation.

There may be no pleasing the neighbours, though

FanjoForTheMammaries Wed 10-Apr-13 10:52:17

Yes..you are going to inadvertently kill people OP.

Please beat yourself over head now.

How ridiculous

ByTheWay1 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:20:44

I would not chop wood after 6 of 7 out of consideration to my neighbours.... some people work nights you know - maybe she was trying to sleep before her shift or after a hard day....

I really hope your neighbour is not a doctor/nurse/paramedic/firefighter/coastguard/mountain rescue/...... who works nights and upon whom my or someone else's safety may depend.

I hate it when the right to do something impinges on my right not to be disturbed by it....

You have a right to chop wood, she has a right to undisturbed sleep...

Would you be happy for HER to do wood chopping and chucking about at a time which disturbed YOUR sleep - say 4 in the morning just before heading off to an early shift or whatever...

aderynlas Wed 10-Apr-13 09:44:18

The nettles in your garden are probably keeping the caterpillars away from your neighbours flowers msbella, they are great for wildlife.

whokilleddannylatimer Wed 10-Apr-13 09:36:37

I think honestly it depends, the rules for noise are 11pm to 7pm although environmental health take into account excessively loud regular noise too.

I wouldn't let my dc play very noisily outside at half 8 I case she disturbed younger children.

My mum goes to bed at 8 due to early shifts and this would drive her nuts.

I think if you usually do not do it at night fair enough as a one off but I can't think of anything worse than having an hour of very loud banging and thudding just as I got dc settled or settled down to relax if it was every night.

Shutupanddrive Wed 10-Apr-13 09:17:12

YANBU, 8pm is not late. It wouldn't bother me at all at that time

shellbu Wed 10-Apr-13 09:01:35

sounds like midnite is your neighbour lol .

FanjoForTheMammaries Wed 10-Apr-13 06:48:41

Msbella, you had a really rough time on MN yesterday here and elsewhere.

I suspect you were the victim of some people taking out their own narkiness on you.

AIBU is way over harsh sometimes.

Hope today is better.

MrRected Wed 10-Apr-13 04:02:53

Fair enough MsBella.

Perhaps you were polite, it just came across that you heard what she was saying but weren't really that interested. A challenge of these types of forums is getting the tone across - I get it wrong all the time and often get a roasting grin.

MsBella Wed 10-Apr-13 03:58:21

Although she is a petty moaner e.g. I have nettles in my garden

MsBella Wed 10-Apr-13 03:57:25

You know the last part is pretty true in some ways
Although I thought my reply to her was polite..oops!

MrRected Wed 10-Apr-13 03:54:34

MsBella - like your wood, it costs nothing to be polite.

You weren't particularly polite to your neighbour. IMO I think you could have been much more conciliatory. Yes, there is no real need to be conciliatory but why would you want to off-side your neighbour, just for the sake of it?

In these sorts of situations I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes before making a decision.

So if I were thinking of it from your neighbour's perspective, it would go something along the lines of:

1. Perhaps she's had a terrible day at work
2. Perhaps she's tolerated the day time chopping for such a long time that the onset of night time chopping pushed her over the edge.
3. Perhaps she's ill or depressed.
4. Perhaps she just wants a bit of peace and quiet.
5. Perhaps she has to get up at 3am tomorrow morning and needed an early night.

Being considerate of other peoples feelings does not automatically mean you are a walk-over - I get the sense that you are standing your ground for fear that you might be perceived as such.

Sunnywithshowers Wed 10-Apr-13 03:48:26

Midnite I've reported your last 3 posts as personal attacks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now