Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Wednesday at 1pm x

aibu or is my neighbour?

(157 Posts)
MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 20:13:25

Its quarter past 8pm and I'm outside sawing wood on the grass and chucking it onto the patio, also using an axe to chop some logs etc etc etc. She just came to the fence all 'what on earth is all the noise!?' I said I'm just doing this <points to wood> and got back on with it. She was still standing there looking.... bewildered and shocked and told me it was too loud and she 'wants to sleep' but ffs I don't see how I can be quiter. Anyway I told her 'well I don't see how I can be quiter sorry' and got back on with it, she was pissed off

sleeton Wed 10-Apr-13 21:22:06

Are you allowed to just help yourself from the woods? Aren't there rules AIUI if the woods/forests are privately owned and you take it (even fallen wood) then it is theft. If the woods are government owned (Forestry Commission) then you can apply for a "(Fire)Wood Scavenging Permit/License" which will apply to designated areas only.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 10-Apr-13 21:25:32

YANBU, I used to live in the country and had a wood burner.
I believe the law states before 9pm for builders/ worksites etc. I don't think sawing wood is too much different than a carpenter working on site.

You have had a rough time here, You strike me as quite unconventional. Well I say its better than being boring, good luck to you. grin

DontSHOUTTTTTT Wed 10-Apr-13 21:42:03

Construction companies or workshops would not be allowed to work until late. The standard time is usually 8 am (or 7.30) until 6 pm Monday to Friday. 8 am until 1 pm Saterday and not at all on Sundays or bank holidays.

However, This doesn't apply to the OP's situation as she is not a buisness.

I think if she regularly chopped wood at 8 pm then she could end up having a noise abatement notice served on her by her local council. Depending how loud it was and how close she was to her neighbours etc etc. If she just did it very occasionally then she would probably be OK. It's. all about reasonableness.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 10-Apr-13 21:59:04

DontSHOUT

They are building near to me and knock off at 9pm, there are several shifts during the day and it is council who are building. The area is Town Centre with lots of houses nearby.
Also, noise is noise and applies to everybody, so yes up to pm is fine. I'm pretty sure it was a council representative who told us this as there were lots of meetings and objection to the building, from local residents.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Thu 11-Apr-13 00:18:01

morethanpotatoprints. I know that there are situations where the standards times do not have to be adhered to. It is unusual though and you would need special consultation and permission. (As has obviously happened with the work being carried out near you)

Utility company work and road maintanance is often carried out 'after hours' as is work that has to be carried out urgently for safety reasons.

maddening Thu 11-Apr-13 07:35:25

Morethan - if they are building check their planning permission - land next to us has planning permission with same times that don'tshout states.

I know other works do get out of hourz permission but it's usually for good reason - eg roads have to be shut or emergency work etc.

As for the 11pm thing - that is a red herring as unreasonable noise can be any time.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 11-Apr-13 16:38:25

It is a Youth club and associated buildings, I think they are behind schedule, but also lots of vehicles turning off main road make it difficult for people to travel into town. maybe they have these extended circumstances for H&S for road users and pedestrians, as it is really Town Centre.
It's just that there are lots of houses in our Town Centre. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now