aibu or is my neighbour?

(157 Posts)
MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 20:13:25

Its quarter past 8pm and I'm outside sawing wood on the grass and chucking it onto the patio, also using an axe to chop some logs etc etc etc. She just came to the fence all 'what on earth is all the noise!?' I said I'm just doing this <points to wood> and got back on with it. She was still standing there looking.... bewildered and shocked and told me it was too loud and she 'wants to sleep' but ffs I don't see how I can be quiter. Anyway I told her 'well I don't see how I can be quiter sorry' and got back on with it, she was pissed off

MikeOxardAndWellard Mon 08-Apr-13 22:15:43

YWBU and you do sound snippy. Buy chopped logs.

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:20:11

Hundreds of pounds for logs or get them for free from woods, let me think about that 1 MikeOxardAndWellard wink also I really don't think I sound snippy... confused

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:21:25

Also I enjoy sawing wood, getting wood, chopping it and all that

maddening Mon 08-Apr-13 22:22:45

Yes the chopping might be louder but is unavoidable - but she is sat therw trying to enjoy her home and she has "chop thud chop thud chop thud"
By removing the thud you are halving the noise.

Little considerations can go a long way so you may as well do your best to minimise it and if there is any chance of doing it slightly earlier than when people are reasonably sitting down trying to relax you might avoid it - you obviously have a regular need for it so just a tad more organisation would go a long way.

hiddenhome Mon 08-Apr-13 22:23:05

I think what you need is a chainsaw wink

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:26:41

Oh she would LOVE that... wink

Maddening unfortunately no amount of organisation can prevent it sometimes. The thing is though what if she wanted to sleep at like 5pm or something, then shed be being completely unreasonable of course, maybe 8 is later than I think it is...

bumperella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:29:13

You need to sort the wood every day? So every day you're chopping etc past 8pm? Or is it that today is a one off (busy day etc)?

I jsut don't see why you can't do the noisy stuff first and saw (which is quieter) later on. and don't chuck the wood onto the patio stones - it's just making noise for the sake of it. Doesn't matter if the neighbour is bieng a bit highly strung - if the noise bothers her (even if it wouldnn't bother you) then try and limit it. it's just a kinder thing to do.

On a practical note, dry wood is more efficient and smaller bits dry quicker than bigger bits - so idealy you saw and split then store it for a bit before you use it (we store about 2 mnths worth at a time), but we're pretty frugal with the heating.

KLou111 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:31:59

I think that's pretty late tbh. People are relaxing after being at work or being out all day, or after putting the kid(s) to bed.
Up to 7 is late enough.

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:34:16

Yep every day apart from when it is warm, and no its usually earlier but was out all day today. Well the thing is that I need to go looking for wood first you know, I don't just have it all in my garden to chop in the day and saw later as you suggest. Jesus.. 2 months at a time that would be a massive huge pile for us... we go through a fair bit each day and I thought I was frugal with it!

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:35:25

KLou whether its late or not, I didn't have a choice, I was out all day ^

EverybodysSootyEyed Mon 08-Apr-13 22:37:08

do you have a big garden? could you do it further from the house?

if it is not regular then she was being a bit unreasonable but agree with emerald that your reply was snippy

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:44:11

Nope couldn't do it much further away really, ah ok wow I just can't see anything snippy about it blush blush

KLou111 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:47:30

We had a stove that did all our hot water and heating for 3 years up until last July when we moved. If we didn't have time in the day to chop it (2 hours max as to not to annoy the neighbours), we paid £50 for a truck load, which was about 4 weeks worth). I think it is very unfair that your neighbours have to put up with the noise on a regular basis of an evening just so you can save some money.

We've lived in a house that ran on wood, and I think YABU - and disorganised.

I don't understand why you need to chop wood every day, to the point where you have to do it at 8.15pm. You know your house will always need wood, so why haven't you got a contingency stockpile so you don't need to do it every day or in the evenings, particularly if you are going to be busy?

When heading for winter we would chop extra and stack it, as did our neighbours (cold country, wood normal). Some stored it in wood sheds, others, like us, stacked it and tarped the top to keep the rain/snow off. Then through the winter every few days we would chop more and keep the stockpile above a minimum level of what we would burn in three to four days.

We NEVER had a situation where we had to chop wood then and there or freeze - that's just bad management. What would you have done if a freak thunderstorm hit? Continued waving your metal axe about whilst hoping lightening wouldn't hit?!

As for the noise, chopping and sawing isn't that bad - but throwing it on the patio? Having lived with a DH who did this I can tell you it is really fucking annoying, and really fucking LOUD in the house,far louder than outside as the noise reverberates through the stone,then the walls/foundations. It was enough to make me want to beat DH with his own axe when he did it (luckily he learnt quickly).

Get organised so you have at least a days stockpiled wood so you don't need to chop after 8pm, and if you must don't throw it on the patio.

It's three years since we left that house and the memory of hearing wood hit stone is making me cringe even now. If I was your neighbour the chopping and sawing wouldn't bother me, but if you were throwing it onto the patio I'd be raging.

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:49:55

KLou I can't afford that.

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:53:19

Coola, right I need to go to different woods, looking for wood and carry it all home by foot, sometimes making LOADS of trips because I can only carry a certain amount and weight, its bloody hard work a lot of the time, and then I need to saw it by hand, chop some etc. Do the kindlin and all that, I'm not moaning but its fucking hard work sometimes especially in the winter

KLou111 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:54:42

I mean for a back up when you have no wood of an evening rwther than piss off your neighbours, not actually buy it every 4 weeks.

bumperella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:56:27

Your reply sounded like you were basically saying to your neighbour, "tough, I want to do this so I will". Which isn't helpful or generous, hence people saying that it sounds snippy.
Making some effort to deaden the noise but doing it at 8pm occasionally (esp as when weather is cold so windows shut) doens't sound that dreadful.
Seriously, you'd need a hell of a lot less wood (in terms of bulk) if you could dry it properly before using it (seasoned hardwood is way way more efficient than anythign else). 2 months isn't a huge pile really. If you use newer wood then hte wet has to boil off first. I assume that the woodland is yours, or you have appropriate permissions? Otherwise would be very VERY careful not to fall out with the neighbours!

500internalerror Mon 08-Apr-13 22:57:56

Are you allowed to just help yourself from the woods? Aren't there rules, similar to not being able to cart off half a beachworth of shells?

You could always gather and chop your stockpile in the summer months and stack it against the walls of your house/butted up to your boundary fence and covered. Added bonus is by winter its really dry, and ready to use.

Where we lived in Germany people prepped wood for winter all year round and by the time it got cold there was plenty of wood stored. Maybe this is because there were lots of times when the weather would be too bad to do it on an ad hoc basis, and there it was so cold that running out of wood meant actually freezing, rather than just being very cold (minus 40).

I guess I'm just surprised that you don't even have an emergency stash, let alone a stockpile, when you are completely reliant on wood for heat and warmth.

ParadiseChick Mon 08-Apr-13 22:59:27

You need to get more organised.

Yanbu though.

But you shouldn't be burning wood you've just cut down that day. It needs to dry out. Season. You need to build up a pile. Fair enough chopping a couple of days at a time but store the wood in logs

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 23:00:48

Nope its not mine, don't have permission but I never see anyone in there, hmm true but the worst id get is a 'get off my land' in fact a couple of times the owner of some woods have seen me and said its fine, of course different people would have different reactions. I had dd in a back sling at the time, they were impressed!

Iggi101 Mon 08-Apr-13 23:01:13

Not much thought here for anyone but yourself OP - you had to do it late because out all day, you don't want to buy logs, you actually enjoy doing it so not exactly just a necessity is it. Sounds like the sort of excuses you'd get from a teenager for not doing homework!
And loads of posters say your reply sounded a bit snippy, you just keep insisting you weren't. So why ask us?

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 23:01:29

Paradise I don't chop it from trees by the way

Liara Mon 08-Apr-13 23:01:41

I'm loving the suggestion that you chop it first and then saw it....go on, split the whole tree with the axe (all of them, one after another) and then saw them later because that's quieter grin.

FWIW i think YANBU. 8 pm is fine, although I can see that it would be annoying if you are having dinner or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now