aibu or is my neighbour?

(157 Posts)
MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 20:13:25

Its quarter past 8pm and I'm outside sawing wood on the grass and chucking it onto the patio, also using an axe to chop some logs etc etc etc. She just came to the fence all 'what on earth is all the noise!?' I said I'm just doing this <points to wood> and got back on with it. She was still standing there looking.... bewildered and shocked and told me it was too loud and she 'wants to sleep' but ffs I don't see how I can be quiter. Anyway I told her 'well I don't see how I can be quiter sorry' and got back on with it, she was pissed off

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 20:59:06

Don't you worry- I've recorded it

SarahAndFuck Mon 08-Apr-13 21:02:33

Does she work shifts or something? Or is she ill? Could that explain why she was trying to sleep.

I would say that up to about 9pm is probably alright for that sort of noise.

But then, I'm a night owl. If you were doing the same thing at 7am I'd probably be grumbling along with your neighbour.

Could you perhaps have compromised, told her that you were just cutting enough to see you through to the morning and would try to keep it down and finish quickly?

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 21:02:36

Sirboobalot, its something that I have to do every day and it can take a while, so this morning even if I had noticed it, I wouldn't have had time to do it (go and get wood bring it back cut it- <dreaming of central heating envy >

landofsoapandglory Mon 08-Apr-13 21:04:17

I had a neighbour who used to use power tools up until around 9.30-10.00pm quite often in the Summer. She needed to do it then because she was at work all day and was making things to sell in her shop. Our need for peace and quiet, or sleep was never taken into consideration either, not even when I had a banging migraine!

YWBU.

Gorjuss Mon 08-Apr-13 21:05:25

If it didn't take you too long then no yanbu I think she is for coming out to complain 8 isn't very late at all. I would be careful or she might moan about everything.

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 21:07:19

Oh I can see the frustration but when it comes to cold kids or sleeping at 8 I reckon id just wait a little while if I was in the neighbours position, although I've been sleeping at stupid times before and been pissed off at next doors d.i.y (hammering on walls) but knew id be unreasonable to say anything so never did

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 21:08:54

Gorjuss trust me I've had some petty complaints from her before, having nettles in my garden for example hmm not overgrown or anything

BullieMama Mon 08-Apr-13 21:10:52

OP, I run on wood and sometimes you do need to chop there and then to keep the fires going.

What is the OP supposed to do have no hot water and a cold house?

I'd say up until 9pm would be reasonable, but it does depend how loud the total amount of noise you're making is.

The chopping/sawing fair enough, but do you need to throw the wood onto the patio?

I live in a block of flats where noise transferrence is awful. So, it's an agreed rule that emergencies excepted, people try their best to be quiet between 8.30pm and 7.30am. The block includes elderly and toddlers.

DeepRedBetty Mon 08-Apr-13 21:15:41

I've been entirely wood-fired in the past. It's a total tyranny, feeding the Beast... having said, the noise of wood thumping onto stone is pretty loud. And likely to damage the stone too.

I run a policy of 'do not disturb after 9 p.m.' I don't ring anyone, apart from maybe my mum, and will be pretty pissed off if anyone rings me.

If I know someone has unusual hours I will consider that too. I have a neighbour who is an ambulance driver, if he's on nights I'll think before being noisy out the back.

The only set rule I know about noise is sounding a motor horn between 11.30 pm and 7 am. Unfortunately the people driving to and from the pub up the road don't seem to know it angry.

kinkyfuckery Mon 08-Apr-13 21:16:26

YABU in the way that you spoke to her.

You should have apologised for disturbing her, and said you'd finish as quickly and as quietly as possible - not waste time posting on fucking MN in between throwing bits of wood around!

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 21:19:33

Oh come on kinkyfuckery how long do you think it took me to write the op..? Anyway, I do take little rests, its bloody hard work after a while

'Throwing bits of wood around' oh god

EverybodysSootyEyed Mon 08-Apr-13 21:21:56

why did you chuck them on the patio - that must have been really noisy. couldn't you have dropped them on the grass?

Gorjuss Mon 08-Apr-13 21:23:16

8 pm is certainly not late. She is looking for problems x

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 21:23:20

The chopping wood was louder than throwing the logs

newfavouritething Mon 08-Apr-13 21:33:27

YABU, you were very rude in your reply and you have no need to canvas opinion on here as you clearly believe that your neighbour was wrong. You don't have to chop wood at night and maybe when you read this thread back tomorrow morning you'll realise how snippy you sound. Go sit in front of the fire and chill!

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 21:43:02

Newfavouritething, I don't think I sound snippy. And yes, I DID need to chop the wood, my house is heated by wood including the water. If you read back you'll see my reasons for the aibu

ReturnOfEmeraldGreen Mon 08-Apr-13 21:48:45

The time and activity are not necessarily unreasonable, but better to say "Oh, I'm sorry, I will finish as soon as I can and then won't have to bother you with any noise tomorrow" or "Sorry, I have got to get this done because I have no other fuel, but I will try to keep it a bit quieter". Even if you mean neither of these things, it would be polite and conciliatory. I wouldn't be happy with your response either.

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 21:50:08

I see, hmm I must be tactless because I am finding it hard to see how it was rude to be completely honest blush

kinkyfuckery Mon 08-Apr-13 21:53:22

Am I being unreasonable?
Yes.
No I'm not.
Yes I am.
No I'm not.

<<yawn>>

maddening Mon 08-Apr-13 21:58:27

Don't throw the wood - place it down - at least limit the noise you are making - also do you have a shed you can do it in? Just as it is probably echoey on the patio by the walls of the house depending on the layout it could be louder to them than to you.

You could probably modify the way/where you do it and not annoy your neighbour and avoid bad feeling.

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 21:58:46

Kinkyfuckery, I haven't said no I'm not to someone saying I'm being unreasonable, all I have done is respond to things such as 'you should have stopped' etc. Ffs...

MsBella Mon 08-Apr-13 22:00:49

Unable to do it in shed, maddery but ah right I didn't consider that it would be louder to her than me although, the throwing logs over was quieter than the chopping logs unless it sounded louder to her. Hmmmm

Notmadeofrib Mon 08-Apr-13 22:06:07

If this is your 8.15 ritual YABU. Once in a blue moon? She needs to be a little more tolerant.

LessMissAbs Mon 08-Apr-13 22:15:23

8.15pm is not too late to do outdoorsy type tasks that don't involve loud noises like motors.

My neighbour once complained about me hovering at 9pm. I let rip...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now