to squirt my neighbours with the hosepipe?

(22 Posts)
AllIWant85 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:36:48

Am angry right now.

2 doors down have built a fire pit with a 6' chinmey on it in their garden. Every day/night at the moment they are lighting it. It blows smoke across our gardens and because of the material they are burning (damp wood) the smoke is very intense.

Saturday I had put DS down for a nap at 3:15 and when I went into his room to check on him his room was all smokey and stank. The window had been open and the smoke had filled his room. I don't expect people to be lighting fires at that time!

Yesterday it was lit again and now again today. It's bloody raining today so why they are sat in their garden is beyond me!

Aibu to turn the hose on?! Seriously though is there anything I can do or are they entitled to light fires everyday? I want to be able to enjoy my garden and have my windows open.

Back story is that these neighbours are a pain. They are not reasonable at all. My neighbour spoke to them about it a while ago (asked them to only light once a week and to notify them so they could close their windows) Their response was less than polite.

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 08-Apr-13 19:39:25

We had a neighbour who lit fires every evening for a few months. We did report it to the police, who already knew, and the fire brigade, who also already knew, but there is no law against it unless they are burning certain things.

You could turn the hose on, but in the long run it doesn't sound like a good idea! I also wouldn't approach them if they aren't nice. I guess all you can do is speak to the local police and alert them, and hope that a visit might stop the fires, and try to stop the smell from getting into your house as much as possible (although that doesn't help with the garden or having the windows open).

It really sucks, I wish I had some better advice.

fluckered Mon 08-Apr-13 19:40:22

ring council or something or even police .. is that legal? yanbu to be well pissed off i would be too! it has to be dangerous inhaling that!

fluckered Mon 08-Apr-13 19:43:11

surely someone can come into your home and see/smell the smoke especially with kids living there. i mean vents will let it in which is beyond your control, whatever about windows.

landofsoapandglory Mon 08-Apr-13 19:44:24

MIL had a problem with smoke from one of her neighbours. IIRC she got help from the environmental health dept at the council.

GinGuzzler Mon 08-Apr-13 19:44:49

We have a neighbour like that. In the summer we can't open our windows at night as he sits out there drunk burning everything and anything, every damn night! Washing has to be dried by 5pm or it ends up stinking aswell.

Really annoying and I love our fire pit at our caravan but we only use it when theres no one else there.

AllIWant85 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:45:01

I will ring the council tomorrow but I fear, as Caja says, that it is legal.

It is dangerous though. DH and me are asthmatic, DS hasn't been dx'd yet but is often wheezy.

Next door have 3 young children, that's why they spoke to them.

I wouldn't really turn the hose on them, is very tempting though!

AllIWant85 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:47:24

Thats interesting landof maybe I'll try them instead of the council.

I've been documenting it and have taken photos and videos.

kalougri Mon 08-Apr-13 19:50:31

Is there anything on your local councils website regarding nuisance smoke? In the environmentand waste of environmental health/pollution sections? Eg this www.bournemouth.gov.uk/Environment/EnvironmentalHealthConsumerServices/PollutionControl/SmokeNuisance.aspx
I'd be contacting council if I'd tried reasoning with the neighbors and got nowhere.
Yanbu!

bumperella Mon 08-Apr-13 19:54:27

Maybe the novelty will wear off?
Or are the keeping it lit to (have no idea about this) dry hte cement/grout/whatever?
I'd be reporting it to the council or community police officer just in case there is something under "nuisance" that can be done.

WakeyCakey Mon 08-Apr-13 19:57:24

It may be where I live, very little and villagy. But when we phoned the police about the same thing they came round and told the culprits that they couldn't have a fire until after 7pm, and even then it couldn't be anything like plastic.

The police have returned a few times to check on the situation as well.
Definitely get it logged with them!

AllIWant85 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:12:37

Will have a phone around tomorrow and see how I get on. It's not a novelty, it's been there 2 years. Last year the H wasn't living there as he was under investigation but the stupid W has put her kids at risk yet again and allowed him back so it's started again.

Fingers crossed I'll get somewhere tomorrow.

MyDarlingClementine Mon 08-Apr-13 21:52:48

It might well be legal as long as he isnt burning toxic stuff, however, if someone is continually burning, and causing you a problem, then the environmental health team can and should look into it.

you have a right to fresh air, as much as he has a right to burn, but he is invading your space etc...

MyDarlingClementine Mon 08-Apr-13 21:56:08

I really think legislation should be changed on fires though.

In built up areas I think personal garden debris fires should either be banned or limited to strict times of day and length of time,.
I am plagued by people burning where I am, and they usually do it on the first nice days of the year.

Many times I have been made a prisoner in my own home, for hours and sometimes days on end.

Then we have the hideous fire pits to contend with. on hot evenings unable to open windows for fresh air because of people and their fire pits.

Changebagsandgladrags Mon 08-Apr-13 22:01:44

Next door have a 'barbeque'. It's a tower made out of breeze blocks. Every day they put rubbish in it, put petrol on and burn it. But because they have a grill on top, it's a barbeque.

So this was the first fine weekend, but we couldn't have washing out. They started at 1pm.

Floggingmolly Mon 08-Apr-13 23:07:43

Contact the council. You can only light bonfires at certain times of the day (or evening).

WandaDoff Mon 08-Apr-13 23:11:11

The bastards behind us have had a fire going on every fine day this month so far angry

If a legitimate (but annoying) activity is done repeatedly it can be an illegal nuisance. Good luck being the council to do anything about it though.

I'd put the hose on the fire. That's technically illegal too, but I wouldn't expect any sanction for it.

For being read getting. Apologies.

AllIWant85 Tue 09-Apr-13 11:31:55

Well I phoned the council. They are sending a diary sheet for me to complete.

I won't hold my breath that it'll change anything. sad

rockinhippy Tue 09-Apr-13 12:11:03

ALL the EH can be slow to act unless you make more of a fuss (plenty of experience with them unfortunately) - they tend to give diaries as a bit of a fob off, as they tend to be understaffed & overworked, so you need to make more fuss, especially as regards your DCs - "protecting children from harm" is high up on the agenda for councils - get your neighbours onside & gang up too, this all helps.

& yes, turning the hose on them can help, but not recommended if they are trouble - mind you when I did it to my all night garden party mad student neighbours - pointed up into the sky o that it came down on them as heavy raingrin - it got them indoors & then someone twigged & they started throwing bottles over my wall - Police then couldn't get here quick enough & they were all cautioned - I didn't have any problems after thatwink

Also do we still have ASBOs, or what has replaced it ?? - this would come under anti social behaviour too, they might be able to help, as could other council departments/landlords if they are renting

good luck

rockinhippy Tue 09-Apr-13 12:12:03

Do keep the diaries filled in up to date though & put LOTS of comments about stress & the affect on DCs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now