Margaret Thatcher to get full ceremonial funeral - have they gone mad?

(211 Posts)
rowtunda Mon 08-Apr-13 14:31:43

Its bloody disgraceful - a tory/establishment decision that insults many. We should riot in the streets on the same day.

I fear becuase she had a film made about her everyone has forgetten what she actually did - including devastating whole communities - and now we are expected to stump up for her lavish funeral?

Bloody disgrace

(oh and she definietly wasn't a feminist icon either!)

yousankmybattleship Tue 09-Apr-13 19:20:24

I think very few people are advocating riots, but quite a few of of will protest. If her family had a quiet funeral only for people who knew her personally and wanted to share their grief then of course I would not protest, but the minute her funeral becomes a vast affair, attended by foreign heads of state and funded by public money it has been politicised and I therefore feel perfectly justified in expressing my displeasure. And no, I will not show respect because in my view she didn't earn it.

Yellowtip Tue 09-Apr-13 19:39:20

Is the fact that public money is being spent on this less reprehensible than the fact that public money was spent on the Kate and Will wedding? The royals can be pretty divisive as well.

tiggytape Tue 09-Apr-13 19:41:27

The first one Piglet - people have expressed shock and outrage (or in some cases just surprise) at a public funeral when in fact it had been debated and agreed upon years ago so I am under the 'mistaken' impression I guess that they didn't know about it before yesterday let alone make their objections known in 2008.

LineRunner Tue 09-Apr-13 19:45:51

tiggy, there have been MN posts for years about opposition a state-sponsored funeral for Thatcher.

Inertia Tue 09-Apr-13 19:51:49

Objecting in 2008 and objecting now are not mutually exclusive.
But as PigletJohn says, public objections are rarely taken into consideration. Doesn't mean we can't have an opinion now if our opinions were disregarded at the time.

PigletJohn Tue 09-Apr-13 19:55:08

"it had been debated and agreed upon years ago"

Not by me.

ubik Tue 09-Apr-13 20:04:38

Well obviously the funeral should be opened up to private competition and the cheapest bid accepted.

I'd do it fir £50.

LineRunner Tue 09-Apr-13 20:09:41

£49.

ubik Tue 09-Apr-13 20:14:23

Damn you compulsory competitive tendering!

<shakes fist at sky>

redlac Tue 09-Apr-13 20:15:53

Heck bring her up north and folks would do it for free (and bring their own shovels)

PigletJohn Tue 09-Apr-13 20:22:09

the Scots have been offering to do that for years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now