Margaret Thatcher to get full ceremonial funeral - have they gone mad?

(211 Posts)
rowtunda Mon 08-Apr-13 14:31:43

Its bloody disgraceful - a tory/establishment decision that insults many. We should riot in the streets on the same day.

I fear becuase she had a film made about her everyone has forgetten what she actually did - including devastating whole communities - and now we are expected to stump up for her lavish funeral?

Bloody disgrace

(oh and she definietly wasn't a feminist icon either!)

FairyJen Mon 08-Apr-13 14:54:48

She deserves one and I hope she gets a decent send off surrounded by people who loved and respected her.

The same that I would want anyone to have. A nice peaceful funeral. A riot would t spoil it for her but it would her family and how is that fair? Her children were tiny when she was elected her policies were nothing to do with them and they have the right to lay their mother to rest without idiots like you op causing a ruck

Maggie111 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:55:07

Exactly what Tiggytape said, and I am no MT supporter - but I completely understand the need for a state funeral.

SueDoku Mon 08-Apr-13 14:55:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LividDil Mon 08-Apr-13 14:55:27

Thank you for the link Tiggytape.

rowtunda Mon 08-Apr-13 14:57:38

I can't belive people don't care. It is not normal for previous PMs to be given full ceremonial funerals. The labour prime minister Clement Attlee who brought in the NHS didn't have one. They are taking about it being on the same scale at the queen mums and princess Dianas. Unbelievable.

GB did propse it but it is David & the monarch who have signed off on this - hence me blaming the tories - maybe unfairly granted.

er fairy, her children were not tiny when she was elected...they were adults.

Who could forget the "We are a grandmother"?

Fargo86 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:00:49

When was the last time Conservatives celebrated the death of a Labour PM?

FairyJen Mon 08-Apr-13 15:01:24

They were tiny web she joined politics but regardless funerals are for the ones left behind, should they pay the price?

Sunnywithshowers Mon 08-Apr-13 15:01:26

I don't think she should have a state funeral. I do think it could be a flashpoint for protests.

I am not a fan, but I wish her family a peaceful funeral - they have lost a mother and grandmother and she is theirs to mourn.

PeaceandFUCKINGLove Mon 08-Apr-13 15:02:19

What a crock of shite. Why does the public have to pay? We don't do it for most ex Prime Ministers so she can have a bloody private one.

Lottashakingoinon Mon 08-Apr-13 15:04:41

Tight not many have been re- elected THREETIMES

Not many, but it's been repeated since. Do you think Tony Blair will get that kind of send off?

ClaraOswald Mon 08-Apr-13 15:07:22

Surely she would be better served by a private service paid for out of her estate which is what happens to most people when they die?

tiggytape Mon 08-Apr-13 15:07:41

It is too late to moan about it now.
Gordon Brown proposed it and the Labour Party and monarch agreed it a long time ago. It was never a secret that it would happen. Why did nobody complain then? If anything it has been 'down graded' (for want of a more respectful term) at her request from a full state funeral to 'just' a Ceremonial one. She was entitled to have laid in state but requested that did not happen.

You may not agree with it but it is not unusual in the context of long serving and important figures. It is not a political decision since obviously you'd assume the last Labour government weren't her biggest fans. It is a decision taken to reflect her national and international importance over many decades of British history.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Mon 08-Apr-13 15:08:20

Excellent post tiggy

rowtunda Mon 08-Apr-13 15:11:14
niceguy2 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:12:07

The venom from the left really does show how nasty they are that even when she has died they cannot let go of their own bitterness.

I am surprised by the level of ceremony. Only Churchill had a state funeral in 20th Century so why is MT getting such a high degree of pomp?

dizzyhoneybee Mon 08-Apr-13 15:14:55

She shouldn't have a state funded funeral, it should be funded by her family. Nothing to do with who she was, what she did or what she believed but it's a family matter.
It should be the same for all politicians.

TheRealFellatio Mon 08-Apr-13 15:17:24

Oh God. I was wondering if there would be a bit of attention-seeking, opportunistic rioting on the day of her funeral. What the fuck would that achieve? hmm

I am disheartened to hear a Mumsnetter actually suggesting it though.

CheCazzo Mon 08-Apr-13 15:18:12

YY niceguy and

Making this about politics or your own views is pretty vile and loathsome and you should be ashamed of yourself

^ ^ ^ ^ to the hate-spewers on this matter wherever that hate is posted.

For the love of all things holy - a person, a human being, someone's family - is dead. I cannot believe what I am reading from some posters - utterly puke-making. Those posting that stuff really really should be ashamed of themselves.

UptheChimney Mon 08-Apr-13 15:18:28

Ironic for a politician who wanted to smash the State (together with the working class), and now her supporters want to State to pay for her funeral.

Let those who mourn her passing pay for the mourning.

Meanwhile, Not In My Name.

tiggytape Mon 08-Apr-13 15:19:06

rowtunda - And the date on the article again emphasises that this was discussed long ago under Labour and finalised then. She herself did not request it and the current government did not decide upon it.

thewitchisdead Mon 08-Apr-13 15:20:07

rowtunda - thanks for posting this. People do care and lots agree with you. There will be demonstrations, protests (juries out on the riot).

I'm not too worried about offending Thatcher's racist daughter and her failed-coup-jailbird son to be honest. Those of you that are - are you as worried about the offence to the families of the 1,000 needlessly killed in an unnecessary Falklands war which Thatcher bore responsibility for? Pretty offensive to them for her to receive a state-funded funeral.

tiredemma Mon 08-Apr-13 15:20:35

If a 'nice peaceful funeral' is what is wanted then perhaps she should have a small private/ privatised family affair.

Wasn't her son an arms dealer???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now