Margaret Thatcher to get full ceremonial funeral - have they gone mad?

(211 Posts)
rowtunda Mon 08-Apr-13 14:31:43

Its bloody disgraceful - a tory/establishment decision that insults many. We should riot in the streets on the same day.

I fear becuase she had a film made about her everyone has forgetten what she actually did - including devastating whole communities - and now we are expected to stump up for her lavish funeral?

Bloody disgrace

(oh and she definietly wasn't a feminist icon either!)

Sopster Mon 08-Apr-13 14:33:34

"Riot in the streets on the same day"

What a mature attitude!

rowtunda Mon 08-Apr-13 14:35:18

well maybe not riot but there should certainly be some form of protest

Strangemagic Mon 08-Apr-13 14:36:06

WTF biscuit

quoteunquote Mon 08-Apr-13 14:36:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

EuroShaggleton Mon 08-Apr-13 14:36:38

Do you really think someone's funeral is a time for protest?

Roseformeplease Mon 08-Apr-13 14:36:56

She was PM here until 20 years ago and the funeral she has is in accordance with tradition and precedence. It is nothing to do with politics and everything to do with doing the right thing to honour a DEMOCRATICALLY elected leader. It will not be a full state funeral, it will be as laid down for someone who achieves that position on the world stage.

Making this about politics or your own views is pretty vile and loathsome and you should be ashamed of yourself.

BikeRunSki Mon 08-Apr-13 14:38:58

I hope it will be funded by selling shares to the highest bidder.

Altinkum Mon 08-Apr-13 14:40:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

tiggytape Mon 08-Apr-13 14:40:48

a tory/establishment decision that insults many

Gordon Brown proposed it in 2011. In fact he proposed a full state funeral.

She was Britain's first and only woman PM, served as such for 11 years and had huge impact nationally and internationally. Whether you welcome that impact is neither here nor there. She was one of the most imprtant figures in 20th Century Britain.

Nancy66 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:41:53

yes...riot in the streets - but not until after the school run and before going to Waitrose.

LeeCoakley Mon 08-Apr-13 14:42:00

She herself didn't want a state funeral so you should be GLAD she's not getting what she wants wink

Altinkum Mon 08-Apr-13 14:42:34

Tight not many have been re- elected THREE
TIMES.

Not bad for a women who was hated so much!!

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Mon 08-Apr-13 14:43:02

The decision to honour her with a state funeral was made 5 years ago. By Gordon Brown. So it's not a Tory decision that insults many.

Please do check your facts before screaming "nasty Tories". It's getting boring.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 08-Apr-13 14:45:36

Protest at what? About a woman who we actually elected to be treated the same in her death as two women who just married well?

Pathetic attitude.

hmm

LividDil Mon 08-Apr-13 14:46:19

Why on earth did GB propose that?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 08-Apr-13 14:46:44

Whether you liked her or not she at least made a decision and stuck by it through thick or thin after all 'The Lady did not turn'. She is not the first prime minister to be afford this honor and I very much doubt she will be the last.

NotAnotherPackedLunch Mon 08-Apr-13 14:48:16

Does that mean we get a day off work?
If so, bring it on. grin

LividDil Mon 08-Apr-13 14:48:45

Well if it was going to make a difference I would also happily protest about State funerals for those who marry well, and indeed for those born of a particular womb.

tiggytape Mon 08-Apr-13 14:48:55

Labour discussed it for years and were the ones who decided to approve it. It was much documented a lot at the time. Here's an article from 2008 about Labour's decision on it.

LividDil Mon 08-Apr-13 14:50:46

They won't dare give the plebs a day off - that just increases the chances of large legitimate protests

shallweshop Mon 08-Apr-13 14:51:07

OP get a grip! Whatever your personal views are on her politics, your comments are very offensive.

shesariver Mon 08-Apr-13 14:51:32

Given the level of public feeling against her I think it would be naive not to think that some sort of protest/celebration will be set up. And I would imagine the Police will be thinking the same.

Skinnywhippet Mon 08-Apr-13 14:53:05

Have some respect.

erowid Mon 08-Apr-13 14:54:32

Privatising her funeral would be a fitting tribute to her legacy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now