AIBU to want and Dr and not a Nurse when I ring for an appointment?

(80 Posts)
M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 08:14:44

Rang the drs for my 18 week old.
The reception says 'is it anything a nurse can help with'
I say 'I dunno he was treated last week but he's got worse'
Reception: yes a nurse can deal with it.

What if she can't? What if he needs a dr?

Bloody ridiculous!!!

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a dr and a nurse practitioner?

ilovechips Mon 08-Apr-13 17:08:17

God is this going to turn into yet another nurse bashing nurses v drs thread yawns

JakeBullet Mon 08-Apr-13 17:17:48

Pasflo...the thread has moved on.

Oh and a six week course does not make you a NP...you are quite right....more like a nurse presciber. I have a degree as a nurse but I am not a NP or am I ever likely to be. But I would far rather see an NP rather than one or two doctors I have come across in my time.

As for your "medical friends" I am sure they would indeed much rather see one of their colleagues. On the other hand I have one or two medical friends who wouldn't have an issue with seeing an NP and in one case has done so for help with his asthma. He found her far more knowledgable than his GP was.

M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 20:14:39

I wanted to see a GO this morning. I was worried about my son I was hasty to say aibu to want a dr and not a nurse. I'm glad I saw the nurse practitioner. She was thorough and she was bloody good today. She listened to his chest and put his straight on the nebuliser. No pissing about no pussy footing around, straight to it.

He is much better tonight at the moment

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

M0naLisa Fri 12-Apr-13 23:06:16

Sorry I didn't reply. He is much better since being on he nebuliser. Still has a nasty cough but he isn't as bad as what he was. Thanks for asking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now