To blame everyone else for not warning me?

(129 Posts)
HerrenaHarridan Sun 07-Apr-13 22:26:15

Wtf. Why did no one warn me this can happen?

Today I was watching a friends little boy 18mo. I was changing his nappy which was a well spread, thoroughly glued monster poo.

I went through a lot of wipes and had to rub a fair amount to get poo off, especially round the creasy testicle area and once I'd got it all I pulled the final wipe away to discover his penis was standing up!

Surely that shouldn't be possible, he's just a baby?

Please mumsnet, please tell me this has happened to somebody else. Is it just something people don't talk about?

OxfordBags Tue 09-Apr-13 13:45:15

The very worst thing about tiny boy erections is that you sometimes can't help but notice a certain familiarity... Now THAT'S when you need the brain bleach confused

Crinkle77 Tue 09-Apr-13 11:52:13

This has come as a surprise to me but then all our family are girls

MsJupiterJones Tue 09-Apr-13 11:51:50

I didn't know either until having DS 5 months ago. Like others I often find it's pre-wee but not always. I knew toddler age boys tend to get a but fiddley (I remember my little brother being discouraged) but somehow hadn't realised they'd actually have erections.

DS also had breast buds and lactated, it was never actually wet but he would have bits of dried milk on his chest. Thank goodness for Dr Google.

There's lots they don't cover in baby books or antenatal classes!

forbetterorworsted Tue 09-Apr-13 11:03:24

Haha, I remember DH changing week old DS' s nappy and saying to me that his willy looked "different".

I said that would be his erection.

DH didn't believe me! He had to google it!

HerrenaHarridan Tue 09-Apr-13 09:17:45

Especially those who said they didn't know either! grin

HerrenaHarridan Tue 09-Apr-13 09:17:21

Antenatal erections! Bloody hell, who'd of thunk it!

Thank goodness I know now, I may have displayed my embarrassing ignorance on here and won't be forced to do it on the maternity ward like a pp describes!blush

Thanks for sharing everyone smile

BlackholesAndRevelations Tue 09-Apr-13 08:39:04

LOL at "I've got a big rocket!" grin

I remember finding ds 2 aged 2 with his Willy stretched out horizontally by one hand while with the other hand he was marching a playmobile figure up and down it. It was christened the widge bridge that day.

sparkle101 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:24:17

Country kitten- I don't think we're doubting its normal and healthy just I always thought erections happened at puberty, I'm not saying its wrong or anything I just didn't expect it in ones so young but having read people's replies I can see the reasons why it happens.

ShowOfHands Mon 08-Apr-13 10:42:28

countrykitten, it's a normal reaction to a surprising event. If you didn't know that baby boys had erections, you'd be surprised by it. I'm genuinely puzzled that people are genuinely puzzled by other people's experiences not being identical to their own.

I was well prepared for ds weeing in my face at nappy changes and knew about baby erections thanks to MN. He has NEVER done it. He won't wee al fresco. At 5 months old we needed to collect a urine sample and it was impossible. He wees with a nappy on and never otherwise. Potty training is around the corner and I don't quite know how he's going to manage.

countrykitten Mon 08-Apr-13 10:06:01

I thought that the OP was a wind up and then I read on. Pretty shocked at people on here who are amazed by erections in little boys....it's normal,natural and healthy so why all the flapping about it FGS?

OxfordBags Mon 08-Apr-13 10:01:58

My Ds (2) likes to strum his like a guitar. And the things he does to it in the bath make my eyes water. Puppetry of The Penis have got nothing on most toddler boys grin

The first time it happened when he was tiny, I rang my Mum to check it was normal (I have a brother) and she was all, oh yeah, should've warned you about that, bwahahahaha! Now, when friends know they're having a boy, or just after they have a boy, I warn them it'll happen and not to worry.

wonderingsoul Mon 08-Apr-13 08:59:21

iv never read it in a baby book.. and i remember being a bit taken back the first time it happened.

i have a friend who had alittle girl who born 3 almost 4 years after my first ds. ( i say this as it wasnt like i was a first time and mum and even i was worried) i was changing her (she was days old) nappy and found blood. we both panicked. she was getting packed up to take her to hospital and you could see the fear on her face till her mum popped round and told her it was natural.

they dont warn you about these things and they should.

BergholtStuttleyJohnson Mon 08-Apr-13 08:50:07

This happens to DS1 pretty much every nappy change but I've never noticed it with DS2. It often meant he was about to pee but not always.
Both my boys were born with boobs (only one boob in the case of ds1) from my hormones, they went away after a couple of weeks. DH was a bit freaked out by that!
A few days ago 2 year old DS1 was sitting willy fiddling and suddenly announced "I got a big rocket!" Me and DH looked at him and he was sitting there with a massive erection.

DreamingOfTheMaldives Mon 08-Apr-13 08:43:42

I had no idea that this happens either! I thought erections only happened from puberty onwards. And Flippinada, not having any children yet I've had no reason whatsoever to read a baby book although being 19 weeks pregnant it might be worth me doing so (better try and get through this pregnancy book first!)

RubyGates Mon 08-Apr-13 08:38:55

It's such a common thing that they make these:
www.totscorner.co.uk/cart/pee-pee-teepee-p-256.php

grin

jamdonut Mon 08-Apr-13 08:18:07

It is definitely no something that I knew of beforehand. I was a bit aghast. I had no experience of boys in our family so it came as a bit of a shock! It took DH to tell me it was normal.blush

sparkle101 Mon 08-Apr-13 08:03:40

Thank you so much for this thread op. am expecting a boy this time and was finding this really difficult (avoided the word hard) to get my head round and once again the wise world of mumsnetters are there to put their own spin on it! Feel infinitely happier about it now!

In fact I honestly believed boys didn't get erections until they hit puberty grin

I have 2 ds's so I can assure you it is normal, but the first time it happened I was shock . It was totally unexpected, nobody ever tells you these things smile

Morloth Mon 08-Apr-13 01:59:18

My two often had erections at nappy change.

I assume they do it to increase their range...

three boys and no surprise for me. I don't actually class that as an erection. It's a pre-wee thing. Adult males cannot do a wee when their penises are erect, ergo, it's not an erection imo. Did nobody have little brothers here.....

FairPhyllis Mon 08-Apr-13 01:36:30

Well in art it is mostly there to make a theological point about the full humanity of Christ. But yes, I was all 'wtf does that actually happen?'

pollywollydoodle Mon 08-Apr-13 01:22:49

well if it's good enough for the Christ child... grin

fuckwittery Mon 08-Apr-13 01:20:18

Well I'm glad I've read this thread as I would have had no idea either (2 girls) and I bet baby no 3 on the way is a boy. I wasn't planning to read any baby books third time round so I would have got a shock!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now