To get pissed off at children running around in restaurants?

(1000 Posts)
CelticPixie Sun 07-Apr-13 20:29:29

We went out for lunch today and there was a large group sat behind us. It was obviously a family celebration with parents, grandparents, kids etc. A little boy from the group who must have been around two was running around our part of the restaurant screaming and shouting and getting under the feet of waiting staff carrying hot food etc. He also kept approaching people at other tables and kept asking them if they were having their dinner and what they were having. At no point did his parents do anything to stop him and they just kept on smiling at him, but it was obvious that he was getting on everyone else's nerves.

Its a family friendly place and there were lots of other small children in there but he was the only one running about and being a nuisance. I will NOT allow my DDs to run about and disrupt others people's meals and it pisses me off that other people have so little consideration for anyone but themselves. If mine wants to go to the loo one of us takes them, if they are bored we take them out to the play area. It's really not hard is it?

HollyBerryBush Sun 07-Apr-13 21:05:47

* I don't want someone else's toddler in my face when I'm out for dinner; it's not my job to teach someone else's children social niceties*

Would you tell a stranger in a bar to eff off if he asked you the time of day?

Jesus, no wonder society has gone to hell in a hand cart.

And you will note, in my post I said : I don't however have any problem with another human interacting with another human and instigating conversation.

I said nothing about running round and getting in peoples faces.

MintyyAeroEgg Sun 07-Apr-13 21:08:57

Yanbu.

Not so long ago I was sat with my older dc in a restaurant and our table was near the door.

There was a couple with their pfb toddler sitting at the extreme opposite end of this restaurant.

They were quite happy to watch him run the entire length of the restaurant from there and open the door! He only needed to run another 3 feet across the pavement and he would have been in the traffic on a main road.

I had to get up from my seat and bring him back from the pavement at least 3 times before one of his smiling mc parents actually got up off their backsides and put him back in his High Chair.

Stupid stupid people!

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 07-Apr-13 21:09:44

YADNBU. Not only is it unpleasant, it's negligent and dangerous.angry

ChaoticTranquility Sun 07-Apr-13 21:10:15

WhenSheWasBad your DD wouldn't bother me. I don't expect children to be silent, it's the running around that bothers me.

Iamsparklyknickers Sun 07-Apr-13 21:11:37

Thing is Holly you're not actually teaching appropriate social skills if you let your kids run up to other peoples tables when they're eating. Adults don't do that because it's inappropriate and not a time for making friends uninvited.

A couple of our friends do this letting the kids wander and tbh I'm on edge waiting for it to end in tears, it's fine if there's a space set up for the kids to play, but when they're just letting them totter up and down the aisles it's just a waiting game till someone knocks them over or something gets spilled.

TwoBoiledEggs Sun 07-Apr-13 21:19:36

YANBU in general however I do think back to a lunch out with friends of ours just after our child had died. It may have looked like a "family celebration" to other people in the restaurant. There was a HELL of a lot of champagne flowing. However, it was anything but. And the 3 small children there did end up underneath a table pelting bread rolls at each other by the end. And quite frankly, we let them! It was a posh enough restaurant and we left a huge tip. And fwiw, all this children are now beautifully polite and cosmopolitan Tweens who order moules and chat about literature over lunch.
So, for this alone. I always give people a break!

Sianilaa Sun 07-Apr-13 21:20:01

YANBU. At all!

We take our kids out to eat a lot, it's been hard work at times and we've often got up and left and been embarrassed. But now at 5 and almost 4, they behave pretty well in restaurants. I don't allow them to run around, it's not on - disturbing other people and potentially knocking into waiters. It annoys me a lot when I have to explain why they're not allowed to run around screaming when other families let their kids run riot.

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 07-Apr-13 21:20:25

YaSOOOOOOnbu.

I'm ex restaurant management, in a 'family' establishment, and I always asked parents to keep their children seated.

Would they let their children run around their kitchen whilst they balanced hot pans, plates, glasses and wine bottles in two hands, trying to get them to the table?

No

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 07-Apr-13 21:22:43

And, my children have been dining out from a few months old. Sitting AT the table. Because of that they know how to behave, and enjoy meals out.

HollyBerryBush Sun 07-Apr-13 21:23:59

Thing is Holly you're not actually teaching appropriate social skills if you let your kids run up to other peoples tables when they're eating

Mine didn't run about. had a habit of sitting with a face cupped in his hands and saying things to the next table like "hello! Are your sausages nice?" - there is the difference - that is interaction. Although I'm sure you might have called him a precocious &^%$ and told him to feck off as he was spoiling your meal.

No where did I ever say anything about 'running about'

catgirl1976 Sun 07-Apr-13 21:24:22

YANBU

It's dangerous apart from anything else with hot food being carried around

Patchouli Sun 07-Apr-13 21:25:19

yanbu
They never run around their own table though do they?
Just all the other tables. And if they do hang around their own table they get told to move away. So they're bothering all the rest of us while the adults who are supposed to be supervising these children carry on their chatting.
(In my recent experience of this anyway) angry

Binkybix Sun 07-Apr-13 21:29:00

Holly, I would also find that annoying if I was trying to enjoy a meal. Not the child's fault, but I would expect the parents to step in and gently explain that we let people have their meals in peace. Again, it's not teaching normal adult interaction because you'd think an adult doing tht was pretty odd.

babyinarms Sun 07-Apr-13 21:30:39

yanbu! we all have responsibility to entertain our own kids and keep them under control when out dining! those people obviously thought it was cute but I would be very irritated with the parents for not calling their child back!

Iamsparklyknickers Sun 07-Apr-13 21:31:53

I meant 'you' in a more general sense as that was the aspect of the OP you appeared to be agreeing with since you quoted it.

I had absolutely no idea what you let your kids do, rest assured I don't go around seething because a child dares to utter a word at me although I would raise an eyebrow if the parents looked on from the other side of the resturant as their child wandered around random tables striking up conversations.

GrowSomeCress Sun 07-Apr-13 21:33:23

Not really bothered about the going up and talking to people but YANBU about running around getting in people's way - THAT drives me insane!

Chandon Sun 07-Apr-13 21:34:22

Yabu and boring.

2 year olds are cute.

Or If you would go to a proper posh restaurant, there would be no kids running around.

abbyfromoz Sun 07-Apr-13 21:35:32

I would be annoyed if the children were old enough to know how to sit still. 2 year olds are not.

aroomofherown Sun 07-Apr-13 21:35:37

YANBU. My sister used to let her little kids run around in restaurants (I was quite a bit younger at the time so of course had no opinion hmm) but it used to irritate me even then.

SantanaLopez Sun 07-Apr-13 21:37:51

Seriously Chandon? Cuteness gives the child the right to run about where hot foods, liquids, cutlery, china are all being carried about?

abbyfromoz Sun 07-Apr-13 21:39:00

Btw i think though his parents could have attempted to keep him in their vicinity. People tend to think their own kids are being adorable when they are not. I think i might be guilty of this to some degree but i am also very conscious of where she is and i wouldn't let her interrupt other people eating.

TomArchersSausage Sun 07-Apr-13 21:39:32

Yaddnbu. Table manners are a particular thing with me. Parents should make every effort to stop their dc being a nuisance in restaurants/cafes.

hwjm1945 Sun 07-Apr-13 21:42:12

Yanbu,icon' t find interacting with someone else's 2 yr old that interesting if I am out for a meal.I would not let mine move from seats.once mine tried to hang over garden fence and talk to neighbours who were sitting at table backpacking in garden.we got them into the housecsharpish.a quick 'hello' is fine .a long interaction is not!

notnowbernard Sun 07-Apr-13 21:43:53

I do kind of agree with what most people are saying

But wonder if most of you who are in the 'irritated' camp have DC who are really good in restaurants?

I've got 2 who are really good (1 I could take to a high dining place and feel proud)

1 is a little bugger who won't sit unless there's food in front of him. As soon as the food bit's done that's it.

So I can see both sides tbh

DialsMavis Sun 07-Apr-13 21:45:28

YANBU! Were you at my place of work today? There were kids riding their fucking scooters around the bar FFS!
Disgusted of West London

This thread is not accepting new messages.