Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Or was cabin crew? My child scolded herself.

(290 Posts)
maxbradbury Sun 07-Apr-13 19:42:51

Ok flying home from Easter holiday. We went with a large group of us so all four children sat in the row in front with us sitting behind them on the plane. Cabin crew come through serving hot drinks and I have my nose in a book so do not notice. All of a sudden my six year old starts to scream. She had split hot chocolate all over herself . Turns out a member of crew asked if she would like a hot drink and she asked for a hot chocolate which was given to her without a lid or my consent. A member of crew took us to the loos and dressed to burn. I asked if it is normal procedure to give a young child a hot drink without consent and a lid. She said it wasn't and they would normally get consent and even then water it down with milk and pop on a lid.

Husband wants to make a complaint but I sort of feel I was partly to blame as I was not sat with her. She still has marks on her legs five days on. So am I to blame for not sitting with her or should I make a complaint?

MaybeOrnot Mon 08-Apr-13 22:03:15

I wouldn't dream of complaining,and would zip my negligent,parental lips.

clam Mon 08-Apr-13 22:10:12

Who said anything about expecting the 12 year old to take responsibility for the whole flight? Mind you, that said, I would have expected mine by that age, to turn round in their seat and say to me, "Mum, babyclam is ordering hot chocolate. Is that OK?"

squeakytoy Mon 08-Apr-13 22:10:16

"You couldn't expect them to take responsibility for a 6 year old for a whole long haul flight"

six year olds do not need that much supervision! I travel long haul regularly and see many kids that age, on night flights they are normally asleep anyway. Or they are glued to the films.

And the planes have two aisles so perfectly possible for someone to get to the loo while the trolley is doing its rounds too.

ivykaty44 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:17:09

can I ask

how the hot drink was spilt?

Growlithe Mon 08-Apr-13 22:19:56

That six year old obviously did need supervising though. And they always need help with their things, with the TV selections etc.

And yes the planes have two aisles but in practise you use the one closest to you actual seat. I presumed this would be the nearest aisle to the child because I thought she would be sitting at least close to her.

Oh I'm only going on about this because I'm bored by Margaret Thatcher now. grin

clam Mon 08-Apr-13 22:22:32

"And the planes have two aisles so perfectly possible for someone to get to the loo while the trolley is doing its rounds too."

There's usually a trolley in each aisle simultaneously. But whatever, my point was that, once they're doing the rounds, it requires a plan of sorts to get to the loo. So I was therefore querying whether the OP would really have forgotten where she was during the drinks round.

<<wonders why I'm getting involved in this>>

stressyBessy22 Tue 09-Apr-13 00:18:21

OP you are casting around for someone to blame for your own negligence!

Bartlebee Tue 09-Apr-13 00:41:07

Vivalebeaver's post has made me nervous! I don't like turbulence.

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 09-Apr-13 00:59:41

clam, I just snorted with laughter at your post.
I'm loving how we're all working out distance of trolleys, ratios of seats, hot drinks with or without lids and parental responsibility versus Health and Safety.
This thread is so MN and an utter joy.

stressyBessy22 Tue 09-Apr-13 08:34:40

Stressy that was a nasty comment about my daughter and it has been reported. Not every child who spills drinks is incapable or slow for their age.

I am sorry if you feel I have been nasty about your daughter.The point I was trying to make is that the six year olds I know can handle a drink as well as an adult would.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 09-Apr-13 08:42:55

Domino

Ah yes, you are right. May well not apply here then.

flaminhoopsaloolah Tue 09-Apr-13 08:53:46

I confess that Ive not read all of the thread.

1) YANBU
2) There are airlines who fly unacompanied minors as yiung as six - I wouod hop cabin crew would be trained in something as simple as hit drinks and young children
3) All kids develop abilities at different times - plenty of six year olds I know spill drinks regularly
4) Hope your daughter is feeling better.

MTSgroupie Tue 09-Apr-13 09:26:25

If my child was in a serious accident, where I was at the time and what I was doing would be permanently etched in my mind.

So I'm a bit hmm at the OP's claim to have a memory like a goldfish about the events leading up to the accident.

Floggingmolly Tue 09-Apr-13 10:58:42

Indeed, groupie. One of the copious adults forming a ring around the children's seats say well have been asked for their "consent" to the child having the drink, but she can't remember that either.

clam Tue 09-Apr-13 11:08:30

Oh God, I'm back with another thought!
If the drink was still hot enough to hurt when spilled, then the trolley visit must have been fairly recent, and therefore still nearby when all the first aid kerfuffle was going on. That makes it even more hmm that the OP has no idea where she was or what she was doing.

<<goes back to proper work>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now