Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

For dc not to got any Easter eggs

(27 Posts)
fuckwittery Sun 07-Apr-13 18:32:41

Before I get flamed, i have always struggled with periods such as Christmas and Easter - as these were never very happy times in my childhood, and i am particularly miserable after my mum died last year and I have no surviving family except dh and dc. Just didn't have the energy to do a "thing" for Easter this year and felt sad we would have no family to visit or visit is, dh was working, have first trimester exhaustion and sickness and so we went to the cinema on Easter Sunday (am church goer but couldn't face the celebrations and happy Easters etc at church. I am feeling quite guilty about this btw.)

So, I also bought no Easter eggs and they were not given any (dd2 got one and not dd1 weirdly so I didnt give it to them to avoid arguments!!) Have never really done easter and didn't think dc would notice. they are nearly 6 and 3. Dd1 saw a friend yesterday who was working her way through 10 Easter eggs. Dd1 doesn't even like chocolate btw! Now she has had a long chat about Easter and asked me why the easter bunny has not been and is sad at not having lots of eggs. I really don't want to introduce an Easter bloody bunny, but I suppose I could manage a treasure hunt in the garden with some mini eggs? Aibu to do this a week late? Just realised that dd1's year 1 class will probably be all be talking about Easter at school when they get back so I should probably do something. But FFS 10 Easter eggs! Can't compete with that now although I could get them a sale one from thorntons online.

NynaevesSister Tue 09-Apr-13 14:35:23

Sounds like a perfect Easter to me and a lovely memory for you and your kids

fuckwittery Mon 08-Apr-13 22:26:13

To a large supermarket, our morrisons is just a little one in the town.

fuckwittery Mon 08-Apr-13 22:25:20

Well we could not find any sort of eggs at all in wilkinsons, the pound shop newsagent or home bargains! We didn't have time to go into the aisles in morrisons but I stuck my head in the door and looked round by the tills where there were choc chickens etc last week - all gone! Dh had car so couldn't get to a supermarket. We bought sweets and lollies, i said to dd, you like sweets better anyway dont you and she readily agreed. So I hid those in the garden and did the treasure hunt, they both loved it. Couldn't have done it on Easter Sunday when there was still snow on the ground! I have ordered choc bunnies online and they will arrive tomorrow. Easter, done, phew. Would have been easier if I'd done it last week with stuff in the shops but dc have not missed out and I actually enjoyed it - was totally miserable last weekend.

whenitrainsitpours Mon 08-Apr-13 09:12:38

Easter does not have to be celebrated as some said on Easter day. Good idea to do your own traditions. Plus if you receive the magazine from Primary school about what is happening this term, you will see that lots of places are holding Easter egg hunt and other Easter related activities through the two weeks term break that they get. We also dont have relatives around as both set live abroad one Ireland the other Canada so its me and the children, hubby don't care much about Easter, so got them each some small eggs and done my own Easter egg hunt and they were delighted with that. They only ate one each and kept the rest to be eaten though out holiday. Still got two each so really the less chocolate the better. I trip to the park when nicer weather here and meal out is nice.

Yama Netherlands Mon 08-Apr-13 08:20:58

We didn't buy our two any Easter eggs. Luckily Granny arranged an egg hunt in her garden. They really enjoyed that. Not the chocolate part, the colourful hunt aspect.

Think rationally about your dc childhood - is it happy in the main? Please don't feel guilty. Ten Easter eggs equates to an obscene amount of sugar.

shellbu Mon 08-Apr-13 08:14:09

you never had happy memories of easter , neither will your children now , eggs were a pound in asda , one is enough!

Elderflowergranita Mon 08-Apr-13 00:45:01

Even if the Easter bits and bobs have gone, you've always got the Kinder eggs. Lovely idea to have an egg hunt. As you said further up, I guess they will go back to school/nursery and chat about Easter, so good to have a little something for them.

fuckwittery Mon 08-Apr-13 00:38:21

I'm feeling much more able to cope with Easter now the day is gone and everyones told me to pull myself together, am planning a proper fake Easter tomorrow. Hoping they've got some Easter bits in the shops still.

Buzzardbird Sun 07-Apr-13 20:36:41

I had an unhappy childhood Op but I try not to make my dd pay for it. Break the circle not repeat it.

LatteLady Sun 07-Apr-13 20:28:07

I think that your post is rather sad OP. Perhaps you need to consider breaking the circle by making these holidays happy for your children so they cannot repeat what you said to their children and maybe by doing it, you will start to enjoy these holidays through them.

Absolutely understand that you might not want to give your children chocolate eggs, but perhaps next year, you could blow and decorate hen's eggs and explain the symbolism of new life and beginnings. Then use the contents for scrambled eggs or omelettes for breakfast.

NotSoNervous Sun 07-Apr-13 20:25:45

You don't need to compete. Everyone does things different.

If you don't have good memories then would you not want to create them with your children? Try and replace your old feelings with new happy ones.

I know you said you don't have the energy but I do think that by trying to make it fun then you could begin to not dread these times of year

MyDarlingClementine England Sun 07-Apr-13 20:25:45

you only get one childhood.
I got mine one Easter egg and some story cd's and a little hair band, all presented in an old plant basket i quickly painted with some old tester paint.

I feel for you loosing your mum but agree with another poster, no need to make your own Dc suffer.

NynaevesSister Sun 07-Apr-13 20:18:19

Last year we did 'Easter' the weekend after. Went to church in morning, came home and had egg then nice lunch. Was great. No need to stick to the day or do hunts/Easter bunny. They don't know what day is really Easter. If you ask at your local mini market I bet they have some eggs left over. Sainsburys clears its stock before Easter but i have bought half price in Tesco after Easter before.

fuckwittery Sun 07-Apr-13 19:11:47

Thanks, letting them choose a cake or something is a good idea, and I will do something in the garden now the weather has improved a bit. Kinder eggs is a good idea as dd1 who isn't a big chocolate fan loves the toys inside. I actually bought a treasure hunt kit which I was planning to use for dd2's birthday but it came with loads of different clues (picture ones for dd2 and rhymes for dd1) so canbe played more than once, we've already played it once inside and just realised could do it in the garden tomorrow as well if a day like today again, with kinder eggs at the end. Not sure why I didn't think of this before, it's so easy to think everything for the kids is an effort when you're feeling down. And I think I had planned to get them an egg each on easter weekend but saw the thread on mn about everywhere running out and felt too depressed to go round the shops and not find one!

Pancakeflipper Sun 07-Apr-13 19:05:07

Don't compare to others. Find something you feel comfy with and will enjoy as a family unit.

We are treasure hunt mad in our household - every event has a treasure hunt so obviously we do an Easter one. We'll have a lovely meal together over the weekend and go out somewhere fun with the children one day.

You don't need 10 chocolate eggs but if you believe in God then surely it's the one event you want to recognise? You don't need church to do that.

waikikamookau Sun 07-Apr-13 19:02:17

but honestly, I think you should get them one egg, or little eggs even, they're nice. and think of their enjoyment and memories.

waikikamookau Sun 07-Apr-13 19:00:52

we never gave many eggs, still don't. one egg from us, one from grandmother, occasionally one from bil
not this year though.

there were always others who had excessive amounts. I spose if you have lots of relatives.

I always used to give presents. and use it as an excuse to go out for the day though.
aw, sorry about your mum op.

eggsandwich Sun 07-Apr-13 18:59:54

don't worry too much about the eggs, what I did was a treasure hunt in the garden for clues to the main gift to be shared between the children, the first clue started off on the kitchen table which they read, then it took them to the next location for the next clue, and so on until they reached the gift which was a plastic tub with a sticky bow on the top and inside was some cheap poundland gifts and a box of kinder eggs which you can buy all year round, then in doors for some hot chocolate. The good thing is that if its raining outside you can do it indoor, which we have done, the children love running around for the next clue.

WeDigUpTheRoad Sun 07-Apr-13 18:55:57

Could you maybe take them to choose a toy/choc bar/cake or something instead? Set them a price limit but let them have completely free choice? Mine love being able to choose total tat or unsuitable sugary goods with freedom. Say it's your special Easter +1 thing that nobody else gets to do.

fuckwittery Sun 07-Apr-13 18:41:56

I haven't always completely wallowed, I've just struggled but kept up a face for Xmas and Easter for DC. Until this year we'd visit my mum but this year just particularly struggling in the first year without her.

Mine got 2 each, that's plenty, and no, I don't think it's too late to get them an egg grin

I would concentrate on making new happier memories rather than dwelling on your own past bad memories.

we dont 'do' the easter bunny thing here although in previous years we have sometimes done a wee egg hunt and hidden little hollow chocolate eggs round the house (we didnt this year). We gave the children 1 small egg each and they got an egg each from one of their aunts. We are going to visit the in-laws next weekend so they will probably get a couple more eggs each from their aunt, grans, etc there. Could you not get a bag of mini eggs, or a cream egg each and not bother trying to get an actual easter egg.

McBalls Sun 07-Apr-13 18:37:26

I wouldn't bother now, Easter is gone.

And it doesn't have to be nothing Vs 10 eggs.

It's up to you really if you want to start dong something in the future, it's probably not that big a deal - but if your reason for not bothering is because of your own childhood easters then I thin you need to stop wallowing, you're a grown up now.

hermioneweasley Sun 07-Apr-13 18:36:58

Yea, I think YABU, especially if you are religious. Think of it as an opportunity to make happy memories for your DCs instead of letting your current happiness be hijacked by your childhood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now