Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think Paris Brown should be sacked at once!

(173 Posts)
seeminglyso Sun 07-Apr-13 17:02:55

What lessons otherwise are we sending to teenagers!

ihearsounds Sun 07-Apr-13 17:25:47

My teens post some stupid things. However, they don't post anything that is racist, homophobic, moaning about a lack of sex life or drugs. Unlike this new crime tsar who was doing that 2 months ago.

GrowSomeCress Sun 07-Apr-13 17:25:49

Bridget some of the tweets were from she was 16, and she only turned 17 the other day

Gossipmonster Sun 07-Apr-13 17:26:17

I'm sorry but "Pikey" is racist.

If I said that to a traveller I would expect to get punched in the face.

janey68 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:26:40

Youve read those tweets and you really think its not racist? And just politely mentioning that the people in her local pizza place dont speak English as first language? hmm
They are vile. I don't believe for a moment most teens are like that

My reference to racist was about her tweet about peo

Sorry- accidentally hit post.

Was about people speaking English.

seeminglyso Sun 07-Apr-13 17:28:13

janey68 ..quite, there are many articulate teens who would have been much more suited to the role. It is an total cringe that she was ever chosen.

bridgetbidet I think to say those comments were 'slightly politically incorrect' is to suggest that you too are part of the 'political correctness gawn maaad' brigade aka people who are pissed off that you cannot be casually racist and homophobic any more.

Badvoc Sun 07-Apr-13 17:28:14

She is horrid.
Saw her on breakfast tv and wasnt impressed.
She was very clear how great she thought she was going to be at this new job!
Hmmm...
My 9 year old would not use language like that.

ihearsounds Sun 07-Apr-13 17:29:19

Never mind 3 weeks ago she supported an assault.. Yea just your typical teen.. Thank fuck I haven't got a typical one. I would hang my head in shame.

McBalls Sun 07-Apr-13 17:33:52

Also- how irresponsible of the adults involved.

This whole thing is just a silly stunt, not at all worth taking a minor and exposing her to all this scrutiny. They must have known this would happen?

Massive PR cock-up.

Fargo86 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:34:07

It will just end up being another post for teens with designs on getting into politics, like the SU president.

Floralnomad Sun 07-Apr-13 17:38:25

bridget you are probably right about my children not being the type of person that they were looking for for the role ,however I'm sure that there must be some non racist / homophobic teens that could have had the job . My 20 yr olds response was ' well what do you expect ,she comes from Sheppey ' which is less than helpful . You would have thought that they would have looked into her background as part of the interview process. Also I agree if she's a typical teen I'm glad mine aren't typical.

Bridgetbidet Sun 07-Apr-13 17:39:54

Honestly, I think the world is worrying these days.

Wanting to get rid of people because they have publicly supported the facist party and given facist salutes. Understandable.

Wanting to have people sacked from their jobs because they may have made a few off colour remarks a few years ago. Not right.

Honestly, I believe that we will look back on this era in 50 years time and view it alongside the McCarthyist witch hunts. It really is nuts.

janey68 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:40:36

'a few off colour remarks...' dear god.

'Off colour remarks' I am not on the same wavelength as you clearly. I have teens, I know what they are like but there are some things that you have to draw the line at.

Goodadvice1980 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:43:11

She needs to go, now. What a vile excuse for a human being.

Love the fact that the DM quote the house value!

Floralnomad Sun 07-Apr-13 17:43:14

bridget I take it that you're not gay or a traveller or from an ethnic minority because if you were I think you would think differently .

seeminglyso Sun 07-Apr-13 17:59:37

I do think its a bit of a piss take that the Daily Mail ran the story..pot and kettle!

ihearsounds Sun 07-Apr-13 18:00:11

She did NOT make these remarks a few years ago. What is so hard to understand. Some of these remarks have been made within the past few months.

Teenagers are not all vile, racist, bogots like this one. A lot are decent human beings who are caring etc. This one gives teens a bad name, and makes being a teen hard.

It is not just a few silly things that she has said in haste. It is vile things said repeatedly over a number of years. It is only now she is sorry.

Yes, people will look back in 50 years and hopefully have moved on from racism and bigotry. Neither of these belong in a civilized society.

Racism is not something that is minor. She made more than a few 'off colour' remarks.

Adults defending her, shows to her and others that its fine. I can say what I want. I can use racist terms and face no consequences for that.. That is a bad route to take, and sets back society to how it was.

ShellyBoobs Sun 07-Apr-13 18:01:58

If I said that to a traveller I would expect to get punched in the face.

Pressumably that's not because you view travellers as violent, though?

ihearsounds Sun 07-Apr-13 18:02:26

‘Been drinking since half 1 and riding baby walkers down the hall at work oh my god i have the best job ever haha

Would you really want this person looking after your child?

HollyBerryBush Sun 07-Apr-13 18:06:54

I've said it before and I'll say it again, language varies wildly across the country. Kent/South London and "pikey" is in common usage between most teenagers. It is the replacement term for "chav".

Oddly, down here, we tend to call travellers, well travellers. Even travellers use the term "pikey".

She's just a silly little girl who sadly has learned the hard way. That said, I cant see the point of her job, let alone paying £15K - which is fantastic wage in Maidstone for someone of her age.

But I'll giver her her due, she has apologised.

Tee2072 Sun 07-Apr-13 18:07:36

Do not compare it to McCarthyism. McCarthy broke the law to get his so called evidence. This is in the public domain.

limitedperiodonly Sun 07-Apr-13 18:08:29

Paris Brown is a silly girl who should go away.

Ann Barnes is the one who ought to be asked to consider her position for appointing her.

But then the post of Police and Crime Commissioner was always going to attract stupid people.

Whose bright idea was that again?

Stepissue Sun 07-Apr-13 18:12:05

What is her job? I mean the job the tweet is about, not this new one. Surely she wasn't a nursery nurse??!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now