Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to not want to move to Dudley?

(147 Posts)
williaminajetfighter Sat 06-Apr-13 16:32:15

I was recently offered a very well-paid job in the Black Country but ended up turning it down because I just couldn't imagine myself living there. I drove around the area and found it, well, depressing and I couldn't imagine myself living there. No offense to anyone around there - sometimes people 'jive' with a place and sometimes they don't. And I'm not a huge fan of commuting - for lots of reasons - so didn't want to have to live 45/60 minutes away from work.

My DH always brings it up and thinks I made a mistake, particularly as the salary was so much more than I'm on now. I feel horrible about the whole thing so would appreciate if people told me I was (a) crazy to give up the job or (b) made the right decision.

BestIsWest Mon 08-Apr-13 11:31:16

Is the Yates wine lodge still there? We used to go in and drink the Australian Sherry then fall in the sawdust on the floor.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 11:32:05

To be fair, I think it is new, Haylebop. Like, in the last 6 months new. Let's meet there for a sausage roll!

I'll go with you, Sparkling. There is an indoor shopping "centre" with an Iceland AND a Home Bargains having a face-off. What class.

I'm making Dudley sound awful. I do actually really like it! You have to take it for what it is, which is a working-class market town. In which case, it is fine. If you're expecting posho coffee shoppes and Coutts bank then you won't like it. But it has nice people and the High Street is actually pleasant enough! The market traders are lovely. Mother twatters and I were cooing over some plates the other week and the man selling them goes "YAM TWO AM A BIT POSH FER DUDLEY MARKET AY YA?!" blush First time I've ever been called too posh sad

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:32:12

Yates Wine Lodge and a sit down Greggs? <phones estate agent>

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:34:07

You am a bit posh though Marmalade. Bet you don't even eat black pays.

Haylebop12 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:35:17

marmalade if I want dd to come to town and behave I bribe her with a sausage roll and a cookie blush personally I quite like it but I have lived here all life. It's home and always will be. Plus we're still holding onto a new look and a river island wink not sure how much longer for though!

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:36:12

Do they have bells on their purses in Dudley?

Haylebop12 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:37:04

sparkling I'm verrr posh. When people ask where I'm
From I say "the nicest part of Dudley" hehe

AmberSocks Mon 08-Apr-13 11:37:13

yabu to not wat to move to the black country,i am from there,i would not go back if you paid me.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 11:37:23

"marmalade if I want dd to come to town and behave I bribe her with a sausage roll and a cookie"

<hands Mum of the Year award to Haybop> wink

<looks around, wild-eyed>

What's wrong with bells on purses?!

SideshoBob Mon 08-Apr-13 11:38:00

Nothing like a bit of class elitism to start the day... How nice of some of you to mix with the proles on occasion though.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:38:42

Nothing Marmalade I have heard them in Asda in the Mezza but never anywhere else so wondered if it was a Dudlay thing. grin

Have we mourned the Monorail yet? We usually do. sad

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 11:39:00

Who are you talking to, Bob?! Please make it clear who you're giving the stink eye to...

Haylebop12 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:39:12

marmalade washed down with a fruit shoot of course!

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:39:24

<arf> at 'class elitism'. grin

countrykitten Mon 08-Apr-13 11:39:35

Dudley is a dump you were right about that. But there are some lovely places within commutable distance (and 45mins is a short commute).

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:39:47

Please let it be me Marmalade. grin

Haylebop12 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:40:17

I miss the monorail sad

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 11:41:41

The Monorail. Ahhhhh. The planners of the Americanised-monolith that is Merry Hill decided that the Black Country needed dragging into the future and that future was....THE MONORAIL.

Well, the Black Country decided that it was fine as it was and the people voted with their purses and refused to pay £4 to sit on a very slow-moving vehicle to get from one carpark to another. Wise people in the Black Country.Wise people.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:42:06

Me too Hayle It was so beautiful Sob.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 11:42:39

It is probably me. I'm the one who said that I swan around Dudley frequently,laughing at the scrubbers and tossing pennies into their begging bowls.

Haylebop12 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:42:58

Was it really £4? I was only a child so can't remember.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 11:43:20

I am getting teary-eyed at that picture, Sparkling sad

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Apr-13 11:44:40

After the system was put up for sale in 1996,[10] the trains and track were transferred in 2001 to the Oasis Shopping Centre, in Broadbeach, Queensland, Australia

The monorail was Wanted Down Under. sad

BackforGood Mon 08-Apr-13 11:45:03

Have to agree with the very first reply, from Caja.
Not sure a) why you are asking when it's too late, or b) why your dh keeps bringing it up when it's too late.
If you'd asked before you had to make the decision, then peple could have told you all the places you could live, with an easy commute, where your salary would also have gone a LOT further than it will in SE England, but I don't see the point in asking afterwards. confused

madhairday Mon 08-Apr-13 11:45:29

yabu. ILs live in sight distance of Merry Hell. Tis brilliant, I tell you.

Really, though, yabu, but you know that now. It's not the prettiest but there are plenty of places thereabouts that are lovely places to live. And a certain down to earth grittiness to lovely friendly Dudley folk. Yow should reconsider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now