AIBU to not want to move to Dudley?

(147 Posts)
williaminajetfighter Sat 06-Apr-13 16:32:15

I was recently offered a very well-paid job in the Black Country but ended up turning it down because I just couldn't imagine myself living there. I drove around the area and found it, well, depressing and I couldn't imagine myself living there. No offense to anyone around there - sometimes people 'jive' with a place and sometimes they don't. And I'm not a huge fan of commuting - for lots of reasons - so didn't want to have to live 45/60 minutes away from work.

My DH always brings it up and thinks I made a mistake, particularly as the salary was so much more than I'm on now. I feel horrible about the whole thing so would appreciate if people told me I was (a) crazy to give up the job or (b) made the right decision.

lucylawless11 Sat 06-Apr-13 20:55:22

Im a brummie but live just outside dudley now and i love it, friendly people and good links from m5 motorway, also cheaper house and ar insurance than i was paying in brum. I live right next to the canal and have geese waiting for me outside in a morning as they know they are going th get some bread, love it.

BestIsWest Sat 06-Apr-13 21:00:32

I lived in Dudley for about a year as a student. I loved it, on the edge of fantastic countryside as others have said.

TKKW Sat 06-Apr-13 21:00:45

YABU.

used to work in dudley town centre with an hour and a half commute from a town in staffordshire. could never persuade my H there were nice places although we house hunted in the area - he's just a snob!!

there are some lovely places around dudley, the countryside is near and very good house prices - thats coming from someone who has lived in the heart of the black country for a few years. i always got miffed that i could buy a carbon copy of my house in staffordshire for about 75 k cheaper in dudley!

i suppose its in the past now and you should keep job hunting.

lesson learnt- take a look at the wider area next time.

do feel sorry for you with your H raising it regularly.

williaminajetfighter Sat 06-Apr-13 21:55:25

Thx everyone for your input. I feel a plod but at the time it didn't FEEL right. Next time ill do a bit more investigating before I make a decision.

MarmaladeTwatkins Sat 06-Apr-13 22:29:43

If it ay roihgt it ay roight bab!

But there's a sit-down Greggs in Dudley so it is your loss.

kellank Sat 06-Apr-13 22:31:07

As Admiral said, Wall Heath is a nice area as well as other areas within twenty minutes or so of Dudley ( I live just outside of Dudley).

Dudley Town area is very depressing and dont think the schools are particularly good either.

pigletpower Sat 06-Apr-13 23:00:05

Not anymore Marmalade.

ivykaty44 Sat 06-Apr-13 23:03:14

Didn't Womborn come out as one of the top ten places to live in the country?

That can't be that great a commute from Dudley?

ivykaty44 Sat 06-Apr-13 23:05:10

just checked and it is 6 miles away

MarmaladeTwatkins Sat 06-Apr-13 23:28:23

Bloody is! I was in there the other week

Haylebop12 Sat 06-Apr-13 23:50:40

I live in Dudley albeit a nice part with an "outstanding" school. The town centre is pretty dire. I have lived here all my life.

There are lovely places within ten minutes. Wombourne, Swindon are lovely countryside locations. Kingswinford, wall Heath are also nice.

Haylebop12 Sat 06-Apr-13 23:51:57

If by sit down Greg's you mean the bench just outside then yes. The one in the town centre is not big enough for tables and chairs hmm

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 10:46:36

Well ACTUALLY Haylebop, there are TWO in town.

The sit-down one is by Peacocks. Go and have a look. I know. I had to go in and buy DS a gingerbreadman from there about a month ago! There is a whole seating area at the back.

You can come back and apologise when you realise you are wrong. smile

Haylebop12 Mon 08-Apr-13 10:59:54

Haha no apologies from me as it isn't a Gregg's, its a different bakery. Not sure what its called mind. I know where you mean though, at the end of the arcade bit opposite a jewelers. By river island :-)

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 11:02:13

NO! That is WOLLASTON BAKERY!

I swear to you, there is a sit-down Greggs, opposite the other one pretty much, on Dudley High St!

It shows you on the shop finder here, two Greggs practically opposite each other

<cannot believe that I am arguing about Greggs on the interweb>

FoofFighter Mon 08-Apr-13 11:07:41

The one that used to be Three Cooks?

FoofFighter Mon 08-Apr-13 11:09:11

Or up the top end by the Sally Army maybe?

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 11:09:38

Could have been. It's about two doors up from Peacocks.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 11:10:29

No, deffo not by the Sally Army. It's the other end by the big British heart Foundation!

envy All sounds very glamorous. DH has today off, we could take a trip. grin

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 08-Apr-13 11:23:27

I tell you what, you haven't seen classy until you've been in a sit-down Greggs in Dudley. Forget Made in Chelsea...

I wander around Dudley quite a lot. They have good charity shops which are good for procuring stock for vintage fairs which can be sold on at a profit There are some sights to behold.

Haylebop12 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:26:12

I can't believe 26 years of living here and I don't know about a sit down Gregg's. I feel a fraud!!

DH not keen. sad It's only a bit further than the Mezza. sad

MordecaiAndRigby Mon 08-Apr-13 11:29:38

Poor Dudley. A town that fell victim to MerryHill. sad

MordecaiAndRigby Mon 08-Apr-13 11:30:11

grin @ "mezza"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now