AIBU to think I will go to hell for putting a Bible in the recycling?

(75 Posts)

Dh and I are having a huge sort out of all our books. He's already taken a big pile to the charity shop, and we've binned/recycled a load of stuff that wasn't fit for the charity shop. Now we are sorting through some of the other books, and we have thirteen editions of the Bible - one I got when I was christened, ones we got when the dses were dedicated, and various others we have acquired over the years - especially when I was attending a very active evangelical church.

I have decided that I can live without my copy of The Bible in a Year, and dh has put it in the recycling (I made notes in it so can't send it to the charity shop). I am afraid I will go to hell for recycling or binning a bible - AIBU?

FeckOffCup Sat 06-Apr-13 22:04:56

My local council recycling website says you can put books in recycling if they are in poor condition, I would link but am on the tablet and haven't worked out how to copy and paste a long link.

Annunziata Sat 06-Apr-13 22:42:17

YANBU. I can't do it. I have three I need to throw out and I can't. Plus thousands of other people's wedding order of services and funeral orders and a few broken statues and rosaries and the DC's first holy communion worksheets and I just can't do it confused

LeaveIt Sat 06-Apr-13 23:00:47

When I went to a Synagogue on a school visit a few months ago, I asked what happened to the old Scrolls they could no longer use. The gentleman said they are given a burial just like any other holy book like the Bible. I did not know that and I don't know whether that includes family ones as opposed to those used in services.

Ullena Sat 06-Apr-13 23:33:13

Ditzylab ate a bible once...no smitings so far!

DontSHOUTTTTTT Sat 06-Apr-13 23:38:25

I am an atheist bit I am sure if God did exist he wouldn't care about things like that. If he did exist I imagine that he would be more interested in people being generally nice and kind to one another.

When I was about 6-7 yo (so nigh on 40 years ago) my very religious grandfather told me about a boy in his class who walked round the school playground ripping pages out of a Bible and proclaiming he didn't believe in God.

According to my GF, the boy died (I have no reason to think he lied) but obviously this was Devine Intervention. confused

And a bit of a grim story to tell a small child IMO.

lemonpoppyseed Sun 07-Apr-13 00:06:50

I work in a faith-based school, and we had a box of old bibles to be disposed of. We contacted the church, and the official position of the Anglican Church of Canada is that they should be BURNED! Can't quite bring myself to do this; they are still in a box under my desk. smile

The Word of God is not a book.

juwie Sun 07-Apr-13 05:04:29

My dp once used pages of his stepmums bible as fag paper.

SadGiantPanda Sun 07-Apr-13 05:12:38

The OP has not posted for quite a while. It looks like that bolt of lightning might have come for her after all. sad

Stillcluelessat40 Sun 07-Apr-13 08:25:44

She should just have stuck it in the bag for the charity shop. Then it becomes their dilemma, not hers!
(Thinking about The Ring)

Moominsarehippos Sun 07-Apr-13 10:38:00

Just sneak into local churches and leave one here, one there. They'll forgive you.

Feminine Sun 07-Apr-13 10:40:32

Send it to me, I'll 'shabby chic' it up.

Then I'll charge 50 quid for it on Ebay....

<<thinks about a floral oil cloth with an oil stuck crudely on the front>>

Yes.

Feminine Sun 07-Apr-13 10:40:55

owl stuck on the front! wink

DontSHOUTTTTTT Sun 07-Apr-13 11:33:57

I work in a big charity and we have to throw thousands of books away.(we do get paid a little something from the waste compny that takes them but its a tiny tiny amount). We sell what we can and we cherry pick some books that are sent to schools and libraries in Africa.

We really don't want old bibles unless they are valuble as we cannot sell them. sad

No bolts of lightning here, thankfully, SadGiantPanda - and so far I have eluded the fires of damnation. We can recycle books here, so I won't get into trouble with the local authority either.

I was going to rescue it from the recycling (despite the non-appearance of any lightning, brimstone or other perdition-related natural disasters), until I read DontSHOUTTTTTT's post - and now I am all confused again.

FriggFRIGG Sun 07-Apr-13 14:48:06

Put it in the bin

I dares you.

Get thee behind me, FriggFRIGG!! grin

Tigerbomb Sun 07-Apr-13 16:17:01

I think I'll keep my copies of the Bible and Koran on the shelf. I have one foot in the grave anyway - no need for provocation grin

wintertimeisfun Sun 07-Apr-13 16:36:17

i wouldn't personally put any religious book in the bin/recycle, i would take it to a charity shop smile

Madmum24 Sun 07-Apr-13 16:55:27

In iuslam any worn/damaged copies of quran/koran or any other texts with verses from it should be burned and the ashes either buried or thrown into a river or other clean flowing water.

seeminglyso Sun 07-Apr-13 17:00:48

YABU..but reason has no place in religion so that is why YABU!

Its an old book of crap fiction ...I can think of no better place for it.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Sun 07-Apr-13 22:51:09

Are people's reservations about disposing of an old bible because they think God will be angry? I understand why bibles are important but I don't understand why every copy, even old or dirty ones are important individually?

I am told that I am so churchy that I would bleed dry sherry if I were scratched. But while I wouldn't deliberately throw away a Bible, I wouldn't think I had blasphemed by doing it by accident. Christianity is not like Islam: its holy book is not an object of veneration in itself.

As for seeminglyso I hope you get a thunderbolt: not for your irreligiousity but for your trollish ignorance and lack of culture.

DontSHOUTTTTTT

Partly tradition. In the past, Bibles were often the only book a family owned. They were extremely expensive. They were passed down (my aunt has a 400 year-old family Bible), and also because they were considered a source of knowledge. Common people in places like Scotland became literate and well-educated way before most other places because the clergy wanted to empower them by teaching them to read Scripture.

Modern English was pretty much standardised by the Authorised Version of the Bible (and the 1662 Prayer Book).

Not that one would think that, given the way some people talk about religion on the Internet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now