Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think I will go to hell for putting a Bible in the recycling?

(75 Posts)

Dh and I are having a huge sort out of all our books. He's already taken a big pile to the charity shop, and we've binned/recycled a load of stuff that wasn't fit for the charity shop. Now we are sorting through some of the other books, and we have thirteen editions of the Bible - one I got when I was christened, ones we got when the dses were dedicated, and various others we have acquired over the years - especially when I was attending a very active evangelical church.

I have decided that I can live without my copy of The Bible in a Year, and dh has put it in the recycling (I made notes in it so can't send it to the charity shop). I am afraid I will go to hell for recycling or binning a bible - AIBU?

I bought dd1 a purple glittery Jesus for Christmas a few years ago, from Paperchase, and a (lovely in every other way) friend said that she thought it was blasphemous.

We had a big clean out at work a few months ago and the cleaner wouldn't throw away a battered old bible because she thought it would be irreverent, so I had to do it. I suspect I sold my soul a long time ago, if indeed I ever had one. smile

chanie44 Sat 06-Apr-13 16:13:11

I put my palms from Palm Sunday in my composted in the hope that it gives me good compost.

ChasingDogs Sat 06-Apr-13 16:21:10

shock A friend of mine gave me a glittery purple Jesus for Christmas a few years ago! If I remember rightly he was a money box, with a coin slot in his head a hole at the bottom.

The glitter made dusting Jesus impossible, so eventually I had to chuck him in the bin sad

Poor Jesus. Dd has had to put blu-tac on his feet, so he doesn't fall over.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 06-Apr-13 16:35:00

I got ds a grow-your-own-Jesus for his stocking last Christmas but he was most disappointing, I was hoping for a full size one but he only grew as big as my little finger.

GraceSpeaker Sat 06-Apr-13 17:00:32

YABU. If you care enough about what the bible says to worry about this as an actual issue, surely you'd have read through said bible to see if it said whether you'd go to hell for binning it and would know whether YWBU?

Or does the bible not provide all the answers after all?

somewherewest Sat 06-Apr-13 17:17:19

Nah its just paper and ink to 99.99% Christians. In fact some churches would give you bonus points for recycling grin. Islam's the one with the hang up about never ever doing anything bad to a copy of the Quran ever unless you want to spend eternity on the devil's toast rack.

zukiecat Sat 06-Apr-13 17:22:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Moominsarehippos Sat 06-Apr-13 17:24:39

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust... and all that.

noisytoys Sat 06-Apr-13 17:25:52

This is why the Bible is still the best selling book. What other book in the house does any one have 14 of grin I have 1 bible. I thought all bibles said the same thing

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sat 06-Apr-13 17:26:16

Loving the replies grin

I don't have a religious bone in my body, but if I were to end up with a bible even I'd feel weird about recycling/binning it grin but in all honestly - it's a book of stories isn't it and if it's not in good enough condition to go to a charity shop, then recycling it sounds fine. However, I'd send it to the charity shop - someone else might find your writitng interesting!

Moominsarehippos Sat 06-Apr-13 17:28:47

When we cleared out my great aunts place we found loads of bibles. They went to mum, who also had her mums old family bibles. No-one else would take them on when mum dies so I have loads of the buggers. Lots have pressed flowers in them, so I suppose they have their uses.

HairyGrotter Sat 06-Apr-13 17:32:29

My dad (the vicar) burnt my copy of 'The Satanic Bible' and not so much as a fiery demon popped out during the cleansing.

I was mostly disappointed, and I think he was a bit too. Has anyone burnt a bible? My daughter was given a 'childrens bible' and things, economically, are getting tough for us, I might give that a go on the old fire, warm our bones.

Moominsarehippos Sat 06-Apr-13 17:34:37

I've got a devils dictionary and the screwtape letters knocking around somewhere. Maybe we can burn and compare?

thermalsinapril Sat 06-Apr-13 17:57:43

Who knows, it might get recycled into a nice new Bible without your scribbling in it grin

FierceBadIggi Sat 06-Apr-13 18:07:43

I don't think a church (in this country anyway) would want old copies of the Bible handed in. They will have a set of pew bibles in whatever version they use. Minister might want it if it's of historical interest, otherwise not!
To Gracespeaker as the Bible was not written in its current form, it would be odd if it contained an instruction of how to dispose of the as-yet-non-existent book. I imagine the rules about not worshipping anything other than God would cover how the Bible should be approached.
So to sum up, recycle away!

Latara Sat 06-Apr-13 18:20:19

As there are so many versions of the Bible.... well, how do we know which is the definitive version? Or isn't there one?

sarahtigh Sat 06-Apr-13 18:21:28

if you really so not want to bin ring local christian bookshop or charity to see if they want old bibles as they may send them elsewhere they will not want them if any pages missing or in really bad condition

raisah Sat 06-Apr-13 19:00:47

Whay Hoppin said. Drop the bibles off at thr local church/ bible study centre & the Quran off at the local mosque. This is also a form of recycling!

complexnumber Sat 06-Apr-13 19:18:54

You do it first, then let us know how many bolts of lightening you were hit by.

We will then discuss and come to some conclusion.

Moominsarehippos Sat 06-Apr-13 19:20:35

Give it away. Then it becomes someone else's problem mwah mwah mwah.

McNewPants2013 Sat 06-Apr-13 19:21:43

I love reading people's notes in books that I have bought from a charity shop.

GraceSpeaker Sat 06-Apr-13 19:32:17

Fierce So, in answer to my question, it doesn't have all the answers. Thanks for clarifying! grin

MrscremeEgg Sat 06-Apr-13 19:38:31

YOU CAN'T PUT BOOKS IN THE RECYCLING

Sorry for shouting, but it seems to be common practice on this thread hmm

it's to do with the glue, apparently

fuzzypicklehead Sat 06-Apr-13 19:49:16

Charity shops are usually still happy to have books/bibles with writing in them.

If you really feel guilty about recycling religious texts, you could send them to our community group for "upcycling". We use individual book pages/verses to create something beautiful that would still carry some meaning for someone. recreationsproject.wordpress.com/supporting-us/donating-materials/

Or alternatively, you could engage in any number of book-page related crafts pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=book+page+crafts

<creeps away after shameless blog linkage>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now