to let ds swim by himself?

(104 Posts)
whethergirl Sat 06-Apr-13 12:44:43

Ds, just turned 8, went swimming with his friend and friend's dad. I sat in the cafe, waving. Much of the time, the boys would separate and the dad & son would end up together, with ds playing with other kids.

There was a sign saying "children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult" which got me thinking, as I just presumed that you'd have to be older than that.

Anyway, time to leave the pool, with DS in tears, begging me if he can go again tomorrow.

I don't enjoy swimming. I have an enchanged forest down there that needs sorting out, and a spotty bum. I am really concious of my weight at the moment and on top of that, bloated with PMT. And I don't have a swimsuit. Only an attention grabbing pink polka dot bikini (and god knows where that is).

AIBU to take ds there tomorrow and sit out? He is not a particularly strong swimmer (has had a few terms of swimming lessons). He only plays in the shallow pool where there are fountains etc. and doesn't go in the deep end, he is not a daredevil, more cautious than necessary if anything. There are always plenty of lifeguards about there, blowing their whistles at the merest hint of breaking any rule. I would obviously also be watching from the cafe (which has quick access to the pool, should I need to do a pamela anderson). Having said that, I can lose sight of him as all wet kids look much alike.

whethergirl Tue 09-Apr-13 23:49:11

He does love the water dayshiftdoris but just didn't like it when he felt the swimming lessons were hard work. He just likes to have fun! So he'll do stuff like theatre club and art club with no problem at all, but has given up on stuff like martial arts when he's realised it can be hard work!

He used to like the swimming lessons a lot better at another place I used to take him (where a few of his school friends also go) but I had to stop because they were so much more expensive. But I'm going to look into it now.

Or perhaps an intensive 1:1 course with a personal tutor? Or that's probably silly money isn't it.

dayshiftdoris Wed 10-Apr-13 23:01:41

As they get stronger the lessons get easier and the more he practices the stronger he gets.

1:1 is expensive... but if he needs less in the long run... might work out cheaper?

Worth checking out grin

Mine was being lazy in rookie lifeguard yesterday - 'couldnt' do 50m dressed but miraculously managed it today grin... instructors are well used to it!

whethergirl Fri 12-Apr-13 10:11:02

That's exactly it, dayshiftdoris, ds started off really enjoying the swimming but then it came to a point where it got to be quite hard/exhausting and ds is a bit feeble at times and I'm sure if he'd stuck with it he would have developed his strength and it would have been easier again. Don't think I explained that very well but you know what I mean.

pnin Fri 12-Apr-13 11:49:52

I let my three year old swim by herself sometimes if baby was napping in sling, but she's been a good swimmer for a year and we have a pool so I wouldn't get distracted by noise/others

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now