to not understand people constantly posting on Facebook whilst they're on holiday?

(172 Posts)
LilyLovesRoses Fri 05-Apr-13 17:16:54

I have one friend who is currently on holiday - in an extremely hot and faraway place <sigh>

She has done nothing but constantly update people on Facebook about -

A - The weather every single day. To the exact temperature.

B. Posted photos every single day. Beers by the pool entitled "another busy afternoon"

C. How beautiful the hotel is, how many chandeliers it has.

D. The six course dinner she has just eaten.

And so on and so on.

I mean there's showing off and then there's blatant in your face showing off like this.

I really want to comment saying - if you're having such a good time where are you constantly on Facebook?

But that would be bitchy right?

BornInACrossFireHurricane Sat 06-Apr-13 21:41:32

I dislike very obvious smug boasting, in any shape or form. I do like like holiday snaps though.

I must admit to thinking, 'ok, get on and enjoy it then' when people post photos during their 'romantic night in', for example.

QOD Sat 06-Apr-13 20:36:31

I think yabu

but I would cos I'm posting from Tenerife whist DD and DM watch Life of Pi which I've seen

Pagwatch Sat 06-Apr-13 12:56:51

'Posts' is generous tbh. More of a cocktail menu really grin

Darn it, it's Monday LBE. Only two more days although Sunday will be travelling so 1 1/2 really. It's been fab.

smile

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 06-Apr-13 12:46:51

Oh, and can I just say I've really enjoyed your posts from Paradise Pag.
When are you due home?

Pagwatch Sat 06-Apr-13 12:44:10

Hahaha at Jenai

If anyone rocks up at mine thinking that because we are on holiday it will be empty they will be disappointed.

candodad Sat 06-Apr-13 11:54:45

Everyone does things differently, my DW cant understand why or how anyone would want to use MN, FB or any other socail site. But the again her and my MIL have heard so many stories over the years of them being used to have affairs it poisons the experiance.

I have frineds that post pictures of beers, animals at the wildlife park etc and I think this is normal, I have another friend that wil post thing like "Thomas (DS) has come down stairs for breakfast" at 7am in the morning. Why the hell would you do that?

Normal for one person is not for the other.

IMHO

mrsjay Sat 06-Apr-13 11:52:47

Is that so you know when it's safe to burgle her house, Jab?

grin

JenaiMorris Sat 06-Apr-13 11:51:59

Is that so you know when it's safe to burgle her house, Jab? wink

Jabiru Sat 06-Apr-13 11:44:12

One of my friends is in Florida at the moment. I love her Facebook posts because I've never been there and also it's good to see them all having a great time.

Another advantage is I will know when she's due home etc.

Can't see the problem myself.

mrsjay Sat 06-Apr-13 11:39:04

not a lot no jenai whats for tea and im so tired today seems all that is left but those are boring and somebody would moan about that too grin

JenaiMorris Sat 06-Apr-13 11:37:40

That doesn't really leave much does it, mrsjay grin

mrsjay Sat 06-Apr-13 11:35:23

I find on my facebook some friends seem to get 'likes' for miserable statuses than happy ones which i find strange

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 06-Apr-13 11:34:02

She's on holiday but she's BORED grin

exoticfruits Sat 06-Apr-13 11:32:27

As for people not knowing your house is empty, is this for real? You have suspected housebreakers on your FB friend list? I'd unfriend them then post away

Exactly. I also can't see why you would assume the house is empty-mine generally isn't.
I can't think why people want to be on FB Jenai-they don't really want any updates. They certainly don't want people having fun, don't want money spent and don't want to know about their children-at the same time they don't want a heap of misery! I suspect they don't want anything-in which case why bother with an account? Or why not sift people out and only have real friends that you care about?

mrsjay Sat 06-Apr-13 11:31:55

no boasting stealth or direct

no happy kids pictures

no holiday pictures

no saying little X did very well at school so pleased for them

and many many more jenai

JenaiMorris Sat 06-Apr-13 11:13:05

What exactly is on the Approved List? What do people want to see on FB if it isn't photos and updates of nice things that their nice friends and family are up to?

mrsjay Sat 06-Apr-13 09:59:01

threads* and some have robbers on their facebook get new friends grin

mrsjay Sat 06-Apr-13 09:57:49

You do not have to be friends with these people!

A million times ^ ^ that well said we do not have to engage with anybody on facebook these people are supposed to be our friends and all you read is FB threas moaning about FRIENDS on facebook confused

MorrisZapp Sat 06-Apr-13 09:12:53

So basically, if you're somewhere fab and having an amazing time, you shouldn't FB it. That makes no sense to me, as that is what FB is for.

As for people not knowing your house is empty, is this for real? You have suspected housebreakers on your FB friend list? I'd unfriend them then post away.

Oblomov Sat 06-Apr-13 09:07:11

Not that I've done it. Wish I was somewhere hot ......

Oblomov Sat 06-Apr-13 09:06:41

Whats wrong with a bit of holiday Fb'ing? Atleast you don't get the miserable uk weather.

Portofino Sat 06-Apr-13 09:02:57

I have seen BellaVita's holiday pics and I am envy. It looks a fab place. In return she gets to look at mine next week grin except DH and I are going to the Netherlands where the forecast is for rain and it has been so bloody cold tthere are no tulips to look at.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Sat 06-Apr-13 09:00:22

My SIL who is the queen of Facebook boasting by stealth is away on holiday with another couple in a caravan just now. The other woman is just as prolific on Facebook and it's hilarious they are both hung up on updating against each other by tagging the other in their status. Then the other had to comment and on and on it goes. They are staying in the same caravan so can only imagine they only converse through Facebook.

EuroShaggleton Sat 06-Apr-13 08:45:12

It's just the modern equivalent of the postcard isn't it? Which are also a bit showoffy when you think about it.

<shrug>

Personally I never post on facebook when on hols because I don't want to put a big indicator out there that my house is empty and will be for a while, because you never know where that news will end up. I do occasionally send friends stuck in the office a pic of me on a sunlounger with a cocktail though, just to annoy them. This tends to be particularly effective at winding people up if you are on a winter sun break and the weather is particularly shit at home. grin

BellaVita Sat 06-Apr-13 08:02:39

Oooops grin trying to post from a sun lounger is hard work you know...wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now