to not understand people constantly posting on Facebook whilst they're on holiday?

(172 Posts)
LilyLovesRoses Fri 05-Apr-13 17:16:54

I have one friend who is currently on holiday - in an extremely hot and faraway place <sigh>

She has done nothing but constantly update people on Facebook about -

A - The weather every single day. To the exact temperature.

B. Posted photos every single day. Beers by the pool entitled "another busy afternoon"

C. How beautiful the hotel is, how many chandeliers it has.

D. The six course dinner she has just eaten.

And so on and so on.

I mean there's showing off and then there's blatant in your face showing off like this.

I really want to comment saying - if you're having such a good time where are you constantly on Facebook?

But that would be bitchy right?

Portofino Fri 05-Apr-13 21:14:09

That's why I love FB really. Theatrical productions in New York, cocktails in Sydney, drama in Slough, skiing in the French alps. It would be dead boring if all my FB friends just went to work every day and posted what was for tea.

Portofino Fri 05-Apr-13 21:17:43

It's kinda like "someone posts something exciting and different on Fb" shock horror. How very dare they. hmm

LillianGish Fri 05-Apr-13 21:18:38

The sad thing is Portofino that some people actually do that! I think there are some people who don't feel as if any experience (however mundane) has actually taken place unless they've posted it on Facebook.

Spero Fri 05-Apr-13 21:20:00

i love a good Facebook whinge. I hope soon to be learning about the defecatory habits of bears.

If you don't like it - don't use it.

Portofino Fri 05-Apr-13 21:21:56

At the end of the day your FB experience is limited to the friends you have on FB. Sometimes you need to hide and delete.

lockets Fri 05-Apr-13 21:23:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spero Fri 05-Apr-13 21:23:28

Also your reaction to your 'friends'. If you have 'friends' that you feel you have to denigrate and despise, you may want to have a word with yourself.

LillianGish Fri 05-Apr-13 21:29:30

But sometimes you want to keep them so you can have a good laugh and read bits out rather as you might do with a hilarious Christmas round-robin.

Portofino Fri 05-Apr-13 21:29:59

My FB wall is mainly full of cakes, cats, crochet, feminism and numerous references to alcohol.

Spero Fri 05-Apr-13 21:32:40

By all means have a good laugh at some of the more rampantly narcissistic attention seeking idiots - what bemuses me are these faux surprised 'why do people DO that?'

You know why they do that. They are either posting stuff they think their friends are genuinely interested in, or they are attention seeking losers, desparately trying to fill the gaping abyss in their souls.

So either enjoy them or ignore them. whining about them is utterly futile.

How you use your Timeline, is up to you. My eldest DD, her DP and friends are at the races tomorrow, I am hoping that she does regular status's with pictures, so I can join in her day, in a way, as can anyone else who wishes them well and anyone else can hide her updates. Not everything is a boast, some of us are happy that our family and friends have good times in their life. I said on another thread that so many on MN don't seem to like the people that they mix with and need to sort their heads out, to be blunt. Once pictures are on your timeline they cannot be lost, which is nice. Get rid of your jealously, it can be done, regardless of your circumstances.

How you use your Timeline, is up to you. My eldest DD, her DP and friends are at the races tomorrow, I am hoping that she does regular status's with pictures, so I can join in her day, in a way, as can anyone else who wishes them well and anyone else can hide her updates. Not everything is a boast, some of us are happy that our family and friends have good times in their life. I said on another thread that so many on MN don't seem to like the people that they mix with and need to sort their heads out, to be blunt. Once pictures are on your timeline they cannot be lost, which is nice. Get rid of your jealously, it can be done, regardless of your circumstances.

QOD Fri 05-Apr-13 21:37:43

I post on holiday, I'm going tomorrow! The apartment has wifi, so in between sun and dinner, whilst dd is faffing and DM is farting round, I shall be here and on Facebook.

Dh is home keeping the house secure grin

exoticfruits Fri 05-Apr-13 21:40:30

It is one of the few times that I post anything.

GreenLeafTea Fri 05-Apr-13 21:50:57

A friend of mine was constantly posting from her honeymoon when someone commented that she needed to turn her phone off and get on with it.

MrsMelons Fri 05-Apr-13 23:02:02

I think it sounds like a bit of jealousy. I don't really post on FB when abroad as I turn the data off as my work e-mails come through to my phone so I prefer to have a break and the bills would be huge etc but I actually quite like seeing my friends holiday pics and have no issue whether it is whilst they are actually away or when they are back. I may feel a bit jealous when they are somewhere hot and it is freezing here but in a nice way of course!

I always post my holiday pics when I get back and my friends often comment (nice things) but I am sure that some people have an issue with people posting photos once they are home also (jealousy again).

Maybe I am a bit weird but I find FB a good way of keeping up with my friends as we are all so busy with work, kids etc so don't necessarily see each other as much as we would like. I will never understand people moaning about FB - this is what its all about IMO.

LAlady Fri 05-Apr-13 23:10:33

I think the relentless posting on holiday - status updates, photos etc is very boring. I just don't read them and skip straight over that person's posts. Less is more and if the poster just put one or two things on there, I would be more likely to read them.

mrsjay Fri 05-Apr-13 23:14:39

she is probbaly sunbathing while browsing her phone or ipad I was on holiday recently ( I am not your friend ) i posted the occasional update while I sipped a drink on the balcony grin loads of women seemed to be on their Ipads while just sitting around I thought ooo mumsnetters , I have a rubbish phone or i would have been on here sometimes too, doesn't mean they are having a shit holiday just means they have 2 minutes to spare to post a photie up, <meh>

mrsjay Fri 05-Apr-13 23:17:13

oh and you sound jealous let it go and block her bitterness eats away at your soul

I'm also wary of FBing pics etc.. when away. MN's ok though.

Too many thieving bastards who'd rob you if they knew you were away.

usualsuspect Fri 05-Apr-13 23:22:42

I don't have my address on FB.

Threads like this make me want to post more pictures on my FB.

And write are you jealous you miserable fuckers?

mrsjay Fri 05-Apr-13 23:24:25

oh nice to see you are back usual I have been on holiday wink didnt know you were back

Spero Fri 05-Apr-13 23:24:43

My profile is private. None of my friends would rob my house while I was out.

But if you exercise no control over what you post or who you allow to read it, I guess you should be worried.

Myliferocks Fri 05-Apr-13 23:26:26

I go on Facebook when I'm on holiday.
My mum looks after our house while we're away as we have pets that need feeding so our house isn't empty.
I have an iPod touch so if I'm laid by the pool and there is free wifi then I'll use that plus a lot of hotels abroad have computers that you can have 20 minutes worth of Internet time for €1.
When we're on holiday we don't spend every minute of every day doing something so in quieter times we go on the internet.

usualsuspect Fri 05-Apr-13 23:27:20

Only my friends can see my Profile.

I think people should learn how to use their FB TBH.

Hiya MrsJay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now