to not understand people constantly posting on Facebook whilst they're on holiday?

(172 Posts)
LilyLovesRoses Fri 05-Apr-13 17:16:54

I have one friend who is currently on holiday - in an extremely hot and faraway place <sigh>

She has done nothing but constantly update people on Facebook about -

A - The weather every single day. To the exact temperature.

B. Posted photos every single day. Beers by the pool entitled "another busy afternoon"

C. How beautiful the hotel is, how many chandeliers it has.

D. The six course dinner she has just eaten.

And so on and so on.

I mean there's showing off and then there's blatant in your face showing off like this.

I really want to comment saying - if you're having such a good time where are you constantly on Facebook?

But that would be bitchy right?

LillianGish Fri 05-Apr-13 18:06:20

The OP only serves to confirm my post on another thread that Facebook has superseded the Christmas round-robin letter as the territory of show-offs and bores.

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 05-Apr-13 18:06:27

Facebook is like a diary to.some..including me..and I share things with family back home when on holiday. So YABU

DharmaBums Fri 05-Apr-13 18:06:48

I agree with you OP as i get irritated too, but I think as I'm just jealous as I'd love to be on holiday somewhere hot right now wink

Pagwatch Fri 05-Apr-13 18:07:09

The comments sound sarcastic. They are not relevant to the thread.
They would possibly be a joke if you were friends with Usual but she has no idea who you are.
You sound like you are trying to make some kind of dig but it isn't witty so you just sound grudgy and not very nice.

Quite possibly I am wrong and it's a funny joke which usual will find hilarious when you explain it. Otherwise you just sound a bit obsessed.

LillianGish Fri 05-Apr-13 18:09:46

It's not like a diary though is it because you wouldn't want want someone to read your actual diary. It's a rose-tinted version of your life - aren't I marvelous? Aren't my children gorgeous? Don't you wish you were on holiday here? With all the rainy days and whining kids airbrushed out.

snozzlemaid Fri 05-Apr-13 18:11:29

Dp never let's me put anything about holiday on Facebook. He's convinced someone will see we're away and break into our empty home.

Pagwatch Fri 05-Apr-13 18:11:47

I would like to airbrush whiney kids out.

BlondeLuxLisbon Fri 05-Apr-13 18:12:08

Oh Pag just let it go. These things just get silly otherwise.

Adding to it is just going to cause a huge bun fight.

Just ignore.

With all the rainy days and whining kids airbrushed out.

That would be quite difficult for me as we favour the Lakes for our holidays.

I don't begrudge anyone's updates. If I found i did I'd question what it was about them (or me) that made me so resentful.

Pagwatch Fri 05-Apr-13 18:15:10

I have noticed that I am rare in not photographing everything.
I have some crappy photos on my phone because I didn't bring a camera. But everyone else here walks around photographing everything and staging everything. At one point we were on a sunset cruise and were the on,y people not taking pictures. We were just enjoying it.
Taking photographs is a bit of a chore to me tbh.

TarkaTheOtter Fri 05-Apr-13 18:29:03

I agree wrt photos - my dh takes hundreds and we never look at them anyway.

People tend to do things they like in holiday, some people like posting in facebook.

One way to avoid getting annoyed by people in facebook is to not go on facebook so much.

Hth

TarkaTheOtter Fri 05-Apr-13 18:30:29

<although it would have probably been more helpful if my fat fingers hadn't got "in" and "on" so confused>

specialsubject Fri 05-Apr-13 18:33:19

it's not showing off - so she has money, it's not a crime.

sounds like she is wasting her time, though - all that way and apparently never leaving the hotel!

GrowSomeCress Fri 05-Apr-13 18:35:38

grin

Bunbaker Fri 05-Apr-13 19:31:18

"I always have my phone with me just in case anything happens at home that I need to know about, but yeah that's it."

We switch our phones off on holiday. We have one parent left between us and if anything happened we probably wouldn't be able to get an earlier flight back (we only ever go away for a week) so there wouldn't be any point on being contactable.

I can kind of see the point of FB if it replaces the old fashioned postcard, but as no-one in our families are on FB there is no point anyway.

I post loads on fb when we are away. Mainly so parents and in laws can see what we're up to!
We were in Australia over Christmas (for family reasons, only holiday abroad we've ever taken. We are usually uk campers!) and I posted lots. Pictures and updates daily. I also posted very early on in the holiday that I would be posting lots and recommended anyone who would find this annoying hid me. No idea if anyone did, but I felt it only fair to warn them.
I had lots of positive comments. I am terribly fussy about my fb friends anyway so I think my friends were genuinely pleased we were having such fun!

lockets Fri 05-Apr-13 20:51:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

If it is the odd thing, it is only the modern equivalent of sending postcards - only significantly less faff!

But not all bastard day. That is too much.

Shakey1500 Fri 05-Apr-13 20:57:21

I post on FB whilst on holiday.

When DS is asleep in the room behind me as I'm sat on the balcony, nursing a massive glass of vino, I pootle on my laptop.

I don't see a problem at all.

Spero Fri 05-Apr-13 20:59:20

Ah the delicious irony of someone moaning that someone has posted something on the internet instead of just BEING and enjoying the moment.

You don't like her updates? Block her from your newsfeed.

Why o why you think it is worth moaning about I don't know. And why o why do I think it is worth commenting on your moaning, I don't know either. Maybe because I am bored and it only takes a few seconds?

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Fri 05-Apr-13 21:04:27

I like seeing holidays on Facebook. Someone on an elephant! Someone else up a snowy mountain! A sandcastle! Cocktails! It's nice to see friends enjoying themselves.

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 05-Apr-13 21:07:13

I am on holiday and posting on Facebook, and here.

In my defence though I am not in a hot, exotic location.
I am on the IOW, staying with the in-laws. I am hiding from endless episodes of Coronation Street and other crap telly.

Portofino Fri 05-Apr-13 21:10:56

Surely FB is more interesting when people are doing interesting things? So someone posts a lovely pic from Marrakech or somesuch. That MUST be more interesting to everyone than my post that I am freezing at th bus stop.

NationalLottie Fri 05-Apr-13 21:10:58

If you hide someone (annoying) from your fb news feed, they do still see your updates.

HollyBerryBush Fri 05-Apr-13 21:12:08

It's all very look-at-me, look-at-me isn't it - although anyone who has the necessity to collect 'friends', post drivel and advertise their home is wide open for burglary is beyond me.

FB has it's uses, as does all social media, but there are one or two that live vicariously through it.

I have a mate who staggers (literally) from one relationship crisis to another. Weekly. It is painful. Every time I give her one of my bollockings for playing to the crowd attention seeking she thinks I'm joking and I'm awfully funny. I'm deadly serious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now