To make DD say ask over and over?

(60 Posts)
BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Fri 05-Apr-13 14:49:46

After years of using the word ask she has started to say axe. It irratates me (although I'm not sure why) that she has come in saying " I need to axe you something" so I subjected her to a rather lengthy account of the axe and its uses throughout history. What is wrong with young people being seemingly unable to say ASK?

BerthaKitt Sat 06-Apr-13 11:51:47

Baby your DD may be neither a Londoner nor from the Caribbean but she is cool with her talk, bro.
As for why you would announce your sandwich-related plans on Facebook, well indeed. We are kept informed of every tiny detail of her life with updates every 5 mins or so. confused

BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Sat 06-Apr-13 11:55:25

She is fairly popular smile

I cannot stand people who live their life through Facebook.

HallelujahHeisRisen Sat 06-Apr-13 12:10:03

'It is vitally important to be a complete PITA pedant with teenagers, so they have something nice and easy and harmless to rebel against.'

bugger... mum did this... and I have only just realised... 30 years later.

MiaowTheCat Sat 06-Apr-13 12:23:53

Aksed (it's more like that than axe around here) drives me fucking crazy... between that, and the usual teacher-pedant's classic of "can I borrow a bit of paper"... "no you may HAVE a bit of paper but borrowing means you'll be giving it back when you're finished with it" I've got material to nag the two daughters with for a good few years!

Oh and "mom-maaaah" for grandmother around here does my head in as well.

MrsDeVere Sat 06-Apr-13 12:36:00

My DCs are not allowed to say it.
My OH says it because that is how he grew up talking. Its his accent.
He also pronounces 'th' 'beh'
DS3 has started doing it so I gently model back at him. He is only 5 so I am not going to correct him.

DS1 is 19 and doesn't use street slang at home. His MC friends do though. Its quite funny that they talk more 'black' than he does.

I have perfected my own version of street slang using a mix of actual current slang, stuff I remember from the 80s/90s and totally made up stuff.

Hearing a middle aged woman talking in that way puts a stop to any nonsense is seconds grin

MrsDeVere Sat 06-Apr-13 12:36:22

that should have be 'veh' not 'beh'

Trazzletoes Sat 06-Apr-13 12:38:44

sugar DH can't say "thr"

It drives me nuts but he's a well-regarded professional. It hasn't held him back grin and if he could say it, he would because he is aware of it. He just can't make the sound sad

gorionine Sat 06-Apr-13 12:48:44

Cannot stand axe, reminds me of the Rikky Lake show all these years ago! I LOVE MamaTJ method to sort the problem out!grin.
Another one I hear a lot in school is "Can I go toilet?" I really have to work on my inner peace not to scream "TO the toilet!"

MrsDeVere Sat 06-Apr-13 13:06:39

gorionine I live in East London, right next to Essex.

They say 'go a toilet' round this way. So if you work in my DC's school I give you full permission to scream 'it is go TO the toilet!'

They also say 'pourin a rain'.

I am from just up the road and talk like a real norf larndener but even I can't cope with Goin a toilet [grin

gorionine Sat 06-Apr-13 14:50:52

MrsDeVere, I am in the North West and although I do have a very loud voice, not sure it will reach all the way to your DC!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now