Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To make DD say ask over and over?

(60 Posts)
BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Fri 05-Apr-13 14:49:46

After years of using the word ask she has started to say axe. It irratates me (although I'm not sure why) that she has come in saying " I need to axe you something" so I subjected her to a rather lengthy account of the axe and its uses throughout history. What is wrong with young people being seemingly unable to say ASK?

Trazzletoes Bosnia-Herzegovina Fri 05-Apr-13 22:23:54

DS is 3 and says butter like a true Essex boy ie. with no "t"s and making it sound like batter.

No mean feat given we live in Yorkshire and, despite being from Essex myself, I pronounce butter the way that it is spelt.

Notquite Fri 05-Apr-13 22:27:12

'Squoze' is my new favourite word smile

my mother threatened me with elocution (sp?) lessons when i picked up our local lingo aged 6. Instead i picked up my ssis elocution book (she went to private school). when i went to secondary school everyone thought i was really posh because i could pronounce WHOLE words hmm grin
anyway, just threaten any pronouncing oiks with elocution lessons grin

thornrose Fri 05-Apr-13 22:29:49

When I was a teenager I used all manner of horrible teen speak. I grew out if it but not because my mum nagged me!

steppemum Netherlands Fri 05-Apr-13 22:46:31

I used to teach a boy in east end of London, whose cockney accent was so strong that he actually didn't use any consonants.

I once asked me one day where the visitor was (who i had said was coming to visit)

he said

air i u i'i'u?

He could read a sentence and remove (nearly) all consonants

so
I have a house near school
became
I af a ou ear ool

It was quite a gift really.
I tease ds (and it drives me mad) but don't worry about it as long as he can actually speak proper loik when required grin

racingheart Fri 05-Apr-13 22:57:21

YABVR. Axe/arks is orriboo.
I make DS2 say Aitch every time he says Haitch, and when he argues that that's how people at school say Haitch, I insist he looks up how the letter is spelled as a word in the dictionary.

It is vitally important to be a complete PITA pedant with teenagers, so they have something nice and easy and harmless to rebel against.

I hate the mumble mumble gang speak - watch Eastenders for a ear wrenching idea.(Liam's hoody gang. Waaaay OTT)

My DC are very Essex, DS more so.
I like the Essex 'accent' and I don't mind the dropping of consanants - it's part of him.
But when he says "bu'er" or "wa'er" I ask him "How are we spelling that then"

steppemum Netherlands Fri 05-Apr-13 23:14:20

Ooh loving the idea of being very pedantic so they have something harmless to rebel against!

MaureenMLove England Fri 05-Apr-13 23:18:58

I used to childmind and I looked after my neighbours kids. One of them used to say 'ain't' instead of 'isn't it' all the time. She was only 3 or 4 years old and I'd correct her every time.

One day, when I corrected her, she said, 'oh yes, it's 'isn't it' in your house and 'ain't it' when I'm at home.

I gave up after that! grin

rockinhippy Fri 05-Apr-13 23:24:53

YADNBU - I go even further, I am completely deaf to this sort of thing & refuse to hear her, just keep repeating "pardon" - though it seems to work, she now apologises immediately & repeats it correctly if she slips up.

& don't get me started on emails/chat with her friends in text speak angry

BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Sat 06-Apr-13 08:18:26

I also hate the trend of dropping 'to' and 'the'.
Yes I do live in Ireland.
H doesn't bother me as it is pronounced haitch here.

BerthaKitt Sat 06-Apr-13 08:28:27

My SIL, who's in her 30s, writes 'imma sammidge' on FB all the time... This apparently means she is going to have a sandwich hmm

BerthaKitt Sat 06-Apr-13 08:31:08

Also, 'axe' is a Caribbean pronunciation of 'ask'. It's part of urban London street speak and is therefore cool, at the risk of sounding like somebody's mum which I am

BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Sat 06-Apr-13 09:57:16

My DD is neither Caribbean or from London and is well able to say ask. She was brought up to say ask and will therefore not be entertained with her use of axe. grin grin
Imma sammidge is similar to how my toddler used to say she wanted ham imma sammidge (ham in my sandwich). Why would you announce you are having a sandwich on facebook?hmm

Another habit I see creeping in is 'd'ya know wha I mean?' at the end of every sentence. Next time she says it I am going to simply reply that no I don't know what she means.

quesadilla Sat 06-Apr-13 09:59:31

Arx is originally a Jamaican pronunciation I think - you hear it from quite a few older black people in London, but like a lot of that dialect it has passed into mainstream speech for urban kids. I don't have a problem with speech absorbing influences from immigrant populations but its just incorrect and will not amuse teachers so YANBU.

cardibach Sat 06-Apr-13 10:09:24

'Jamp' is common round here (South West Wales). Rationally I know it is dialect - a non-standard usage, but it doesn't stop me from getting cross about it. I get exchanges like this in school:
Kid: I jamp off the rocks last night.
Me: No you didn't.
Kid: Yes I did, I jamp off the rocks.
Me: No you didn't.
Kid: I did, miss. (To friend) I did, didn't I/ I jamp off the rocks.
Me: No, you didn't. You may have jumped, but jamp is not a word.
Kid: OH, Miss!

DD(17) is a grammar Nazi herself, so I don't get it at home (wonder why? smile )

MortifiedAdams Sat 06-Apr-13 10:12:54

YANBU. I hate 'is' instead of 'me'. As in, "decode what you want to do and get back to is"

sjupes Sat 06-Apr-13 10:19:18

My aunt pulled me up on this years ago, i dropped letters willy nilly but i have grown out of it eventually ;) although t's being dropped is a local dialect thing here, i do try not to for the childrens sake <wont someone think of the children!>

I tell dd off for saying windy instead of window and whit instead of what etc - she is picking up oary language from her grandad it annoys me to heck.

sjupes Sat 06-Apr-13 10:20:02

;) = smile

Duh.

Sugarice Sat 06-Apr-13 10:21:47

I have this problem with ds1 and 3 who will not pronounce thr they use f as in it's free 0 'Clock, frew instead of threw. They are 17 and 13.

It drives me insane but they insist they find it hard to say correctly! angry

They are both articulate in all other aspects of their vocabulary and pronounciation, just this!

NotMostPeople Sat 06-Apr-13 10:32:49

Axe was in common usage when I was at secondary school in the 80's, as was "Nah I mean?" My dc's would think it hysterical if they heard me speak like that now, but I sort of had to in order to fit in. The kids I was at school with thought I was posh because I once took a M&S carrier bag to school. It'll pass.

My children aren't of Caribbean heritage, so it would annoy me if they said axe for ask, as I would see it as an affectation.

For a similar reason, it sounded ridiculous when DS1 first started secondary school and began to sound like he was a member of a gang in urban Los Angeles, when he is really a middle class child from the Home Counties.

It's all in the context of who is using the dialect. But 'haitch' really annoys me.

DS3's Y1 teacher used to do that thing where he would say 'myself' instead of me and 'yourself' instead of 'you'. For example "Please could you sign this form and give it back to myself". I'm normally quite a gentle person, but it made me want to punch 'himself' every time he did it.

seeker Sat 06-Apr-13 10:44:52

If she's been saying it correctly up to now, she can say it, and she will start saying it again- particularly if you don't let her see it winds you up! My children are at least bi, if not tri lingual- they need to adapt their "posh" home accents to fit in sometimes. Not a problem. And under certain circumstances probably prevents them getting their heads kicked in/being socially isolated.

thornrose Sat 06-Apr-13 10:47:41

Oh your second paragraph did make me laugh Three.

When I lived in Brixton I was on a bus and behind me were a group of boys using really urban street talk.

When I got off I had a look at them and they looked like floppy haired public school boys grin

Some teens try to fit in and often don't want to talk like their parents, they inevitably grow out of it.

I think it's amusing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now