To make DD say ask over and over?

(60 Posts)
BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Fri 05-Apr-13 14:49:46

After years of using the word ask she has started to say axe. It irratates me (although I'm not sure why) that she has come in saying " I need to axe you something" so I subjected her to a rather lengthy account of the axe and its uses throughout history. What is wrong with young people being seemingly unable to say ASK?

Snoopingforsoup Fri 05-Apr-13 15:10:21

I had to drill 'ask' back into DS.
I hear it a lot. Thankfully the teacher won't tolerate 'axe' either so there was some help.
YANBU.

How old is she? It seems to be fashionable amongst teenagers thanks to Tulisa etc...

thezebrawearspurple Fri 05-Apr-13 15:14:25

yanbu, children need to learn to speak properly.

BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Fri 05-Apr-13 19:36:35

She's just turned 13.
I don't want her to develop a habit of saying axe.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Fri 05-Apr-13 19:38:03

I cannot stand axe. It makes me irrationally angry

YADNBU

Is this the same word (sorry, axe to me is pronounced ax, so I'm not sure) as the "arks" I hear a lot of teens coming out with?

Drives me mad and I have to fight the urge to shout it's ask, ASK not ARKS fgs!

ratbagcatbag Fri 05-Apr-13 20:01:59

Nope, nbu, round these parts naughty is pronounced amongst the teens as naw-ee, drives me flipping mental, after three evenings of spellings, with correct pronunciation my DSS does not say it in front of me anymore ;)

hwjm1945 Fri 05-Apr-13 20:35:47

Just had blow out in shops today,dd persisting in saying "tha" instead of that.and a instead of at e.g.look a tha"

Euphemia Fri 05-Apr-13 20:39:28

Jamp.

Drives me potty.

"He jamp up on the fence."
"Did he? And it's jumped."
"Jamp."
"No, jumped. To jump, I jumped, I have jumped."
"Jamp."
"Who's the teacher here?"
<eyeroll>

angry

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 05-Apr-13 20:39:57

Try the following with a glottal stop;
"Your shorter daughter ought to have bought a hot water bottle or a bottle of water."

Makes my DS laugh hysterically when I say it. Unfortunately DH does the glottal stop thing and I am trying my hardest to prevent DS saying it. Tha' and par'y and naugh'y are bad enough. Arks me, I know.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 05-Apr-13 20:40:45

Jamp???? Gawd sake's!

GrandPoohBah Fri 05-Apr-13 20:45:24

My mum used to just look at me and say 'there's no such thing as a par'y. If you ask me properly I might be able to answer you'.

And I had a lot of the 'there are two t's in butter'.

But I do speak proper like now tho' wink

thornrose Fri 05-Apr-13 20:46:14

"Arx" has been around for years and lots of my black friends say it (we're now in our 40's!)
It's obviously become mainstream teen speak now.
My 13 yo doesn't use it but maybe because she's grown up hearing it so doesn't see it as "cool".
I couldn't get het up about it personally.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Fri 05-Apr-13 20:46:16

YANBU at all. It sounds awful, my DB does it (when he's with his friends and being cool grin) and I can't stand it!

W.r.t. 'jamp' though, I have to be very careful with the past tense of 'squeeze'. If I'm not careful I say 'squoze', but if anybody falls about laughing says "Um, Polka, it's squeezed" I wouldn't argue!

WorraLiberty Fri 05-Apr-13 21:54:59

'Arx' makes me want to kill small puppies

Why would anyone say that if they mean 'ask'?

I just don't get the point.

catballou Fri 05-Apr-13 22:05:00

Well what about 'he was sat there' . Hearing that makes my teeth itch.

steppemum Fri 05-Apr-13 22:05:32

ds says

ent, or even en'

short for ain't, which is still not acceptable in my book!

he can speak beautifully in front of Granny though.
pushes it with me, I often just say 'pardon' to anything with no consonants, until he corrects.

thornrose Fri 05-Apr-13 22:06:44

There is no "point" surely! It's just a colloquialism.

2rebecca Fri 05-Apr-13 22:10:11

My daughter went through a phase of saying "A" all the time, often at the beginning or end of questions as in "Can I do this A" (ay)? I got fed up with telling her it was an unnecessary irritating addition and started putt ing"B" or "C" in my replies. It only lasted a few months.

Are you Irish, by any chance? grin. In my area, lots of people pronounce it as axe. They also say Maahs Bah. And fowteen. grin

MaureenMLove Fri 05-Apr-13 22:16:23

My DD has started saying turnt instead of turned. Drives me nuts and I correct her every time. Even ask her to spell it and tell me where exactly the second t is! Doesn't work.

Her other favourite is when she text me. 'I'm going Bluewater, OK?' I reply, 'do you mean you're going TO Bluewater'!!

MammaTJ Fri 05-Apr-13 22:19:52

Tell her that every time she says AXE, you will hit her with one!! Problem solved, one way or another!! grin

MrscremeEgg Fri 05-Apr-13 22:23:00

Oh the 'going' thing drives me MAD!

"I'm gonna go toilet" or "he's gone gym"

angry

AudrinaAdare Fri 05-Apr-13 22:23:34

We drill against, "we was" and, "we done" now that DD is at secondary angry Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now