at the end of a difficult day to rejoice that it was a woman who handed down Philpott's sentence?

(44 Posts)
grovel Thu 04-Apr-13 23:25:49

It's a tiny deal but I am pleased that this misogynist shit got his orders from a woman.

joiemecconue Fri 05-Apr-13 00:12:29

yanbu op, it is very satisfying smile

thezebrawearspurple Fri 05-Apr-13 00:12:48

Do you really think he cared that it came from a woman? I doubt he even noticed, judges are on a different planet from this man, they're all culturally alien to him, he won't give a flying fuck about that. His only concern will be that he didn't get away with it. I think you're projecting your own gender obsessions tbh.

ShellyBoobs Fri 05-Apr-13 00:13:04

Thanks piprabbit.

For what?

Backing you up with incorrect information to support your patronising post?

Salmotrutta Fri 05-Apr-13 00:13:41

I actually don't care that it was a woman who sentenced him either.

As long as someone did.

verygentlydoesit Fri 05-Apr-13 00:16:02

Thank you for that link widow, it is very helpful.

I'm still a little confused by two things though: firstly was it the judges decision not to serve a determinative sentence (which I now understand would have sounded better, but in reality may have meant he would be released earlier)?; secondly why is it the norm for people to be considered for parole half way through a determinative sentence?

Am going to google to try to find out about this, but if anyone has time to explain I would be really grateful.

Salmotrutta Fri 05-Apr-13 00:17:36

I was thanking pip for providing the information.

Exactly how was I patronising?

I hate that people don't seem to actually find out why a judge sentences someone to a certain term.

Life is potentially far longer than 23years - which will actually be about 11 years.

joiemecconue Fri 05-Apr-13 00:26:50

there is a thread about this already verygently, if you search AIBU, something about explaining sentences and how they are served in and out of prison - the upshot is if someone serves a full sentence (if they do not behave well enough for parole) they are simply released back into the community but when people go out under licence it allows for closer monitoring

piprabbit Fri 05-Apr-13 00:27:51

He might be out in 15 years - but only if the parole board think he is fit to be released. Even if he is released at any time, he will spend the rest of his life on license, being monitored, possibly tagged, being recalled to prison if he steps out of line. He will either die in prison or die on license. He will never be a genuinely free man again.

joiemecconue Fri 05-Apr-13 00:30:15

can someone explain sentences please here it is although it doesn't say why eligibility for parole is roughly halfway through the sentence

PavlovtheCat Fri 05-Apr-13 00:37:38

pip i bet he wouldn't last 6mths on licence before being recalled!

if he were ever to be released, he would be so closely watched by dangerous offenders officers he wouldn't be able to take a shit without them knowing. it wont be a huge amount of fun for him on licence. there will be no more wives and mistresses doing his bidding.

sashh Fri 05-Apr-13 03:53:35

It wasn't long enough though.

It's life. We don't do 100 year sentences like the states, he got the maximum.

Sallyingforth Fri 05-Apr-13 09:35:15

Regardless of the judge's sex, I thought her sentencing statement was excellent. She summed up what had happened very well.
I do feel pity for the wife. Although she was guilty and deserved the sentence, it shows how powerful a controlling partner can be. Many women could have been in her place.
As for the policeman, he didn't just steal the drugs, he let them back on the streets to destroy lives. That deserves a heavy sentence.

M0naLisa Fri 05-Apr-13 09:50:25

As this is his second prison sentence after 15 yrs I can't see parole been given and given his nature and behaviour can you really see him being 'good' in prison. Someone calls him a name and hell fly for them!! He's away for life that bloke!

StephaniePowers Fri 05-Apr-13 09:59:41

Her statement was great. It shouldn't matter that it was a woman, but this is the justice system we're talking about, so we can't hope that a male judge would have been capable of highlighting the abuse and misery he caused specifically towards women. A male judge might have done, but might equally have downplayed it.

Great link widow

Thanks for that.

flippinada Fri 05-Apr-13 10:01:38

Yanbu to feel pleased about it.

Don't underestimate how much men like this hate women.

jamdonut Fri 05-Apr-13 10:05:22

Even if he does (God forbid!) get out in 15 years, he will be in his 70's, and hopefully on his last legs.

Can't see it happening though, he would have to show he was a changed man, and full of remorse. People would be presumably be wise to his bullshit by then.

Of course it doesn't matter what sex the judge was, but the OP is not BU in that it is a small but satisfying irony for such an evil abusive bully to have his punishment handed down by a woman.

ConferencePear Fri 05-Apr-13 10:09:09

I'm delighted that it was a woman judge who sentenced him. OP you may not have noticed that the investigation was led by a woman detective and that the governor of Wakefield jail is a woman. I doubt very much if it will make any difference to him, but it gives me quiet satisfaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now