To be worried sick about son starting school to young!

(104 Posts)
madmacbrock Thu 04-Apr-13 22:32:27

I appear to be on my own with this.
My son was born on the 29th Aug, and i am dreading school time (his is only 19mths) This is not down to me 'wanting to keep him to myself a bit longer' but all the research i have read that suggests summerborn children (espesially boys) do not do as well as those born in the autumn. He will be smaller than the others, less developed emotionally, physically and mentally. I remeber the summerborn boys from my school years and they were all 'outsiders'
I realise he could start a year later, rather than a few days after his 4th birthday but would go to 1st year rather than reception, that has issues socially! and also seems pointless as he will still be 'behind' all the way through to high school. does anyone know of anyway round this?
I am concidering moving country to a place where the stupid rule doesnt apply or even lying about his DOB, is that fraud? everyone i speak to thinks im over reacting and that the system has been in place for years and he'll cope! Is it wrong of me to want my child to at least have the opportunity to thrive rather than to just cope and get by? confused

Germany starts Kindergarten aged 3.
3 years of preschool education.
Schoolage is 6 - sometimes 7. There is an assessment to ascertain 'school maturity', in an acknowledgement that children mature at different rates.

Don't get me wrong - when I was wee (in Germany), you were considered not ready for school if you still had all your baby teeth grin - I am not sure what dentition has to do with educational maturity hmm.
I went to nursery in the States, aged 3, they had an experimental preschool class, mixing 5 and 6 year olds. This was in the 70s, admittedly.

In your link, Primary Education starts aged 6 in all countries, preschool education 2-3.

I am not sure what the rush is all about, not just wrt to starting school, but also leaving school: a lot of teenagers could do with another year or 2 to mature and figure out what they want to do with the rest of their lives.
And as our kids are all going to work until they are 85, I really don't see why we should endeaver putting them through school as quickly as possible... wink

Sorry, most countries: aged 5 in Ireland and the Netherlands.
7 in Poland shock. And Lithuania.

Intersting read. Thanks for the link.

MissBetseyTrotwood Fri 05-Apr-13 23:08:18

I think 4 is too young for many. I've one early October born, who's sailed through most everything and one mid July, who's had difficulties. While many will cope that young, some will not. You just have to be really communicative with the school about your concerns.

My July born has SN too and has been pretty down about himself in school recently. He's started in a self esteem group with the learning mentors at school and has been way more positive since. They've really supported him in school and it's made a huge difference.

reluctantmover Fri 05-Apr-13 23:12:41

Go into any maternelle in France and you'll see there is a curriculum and it is indeed a school, with a head teacher, with class teachers, where most children attend every day, where the children attend in the same way as children further up the school in the élementaire" (primary) classes or in the same way as the nearby "élementaire". You are not going to see much difference in real terms between Reception class in England and moyenne section / grande section of a maternelle in France, there are certainly far more common points than points which separate these systems. Brits who move to France are often at first quite shocked to find school can start before the age of 3 there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now