To have been pretty impressed by Ann Widdecombe and her comments on the Philpotts and benefits?

(57 Posts)
Molehillmountain Thu 04-Apr-13 22:13:56

I've been really critical of her in the past but she seems to be the only right leaning voice speaking any kind of balance on Mick Philpott. At least she seems able to isolate a wicked act by a bad man from the (unpleasant) debate about benefits that is raging at the moment. Perhaps George Osborne could have her as a mentor?

thebody Fri 05-Apr-13 09:21:33

She didn't fiddle her expenses either did she.

She has integrity and that's so bloody rare in public life now.

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 05-Apr-13 09:26:50

I have always admired her. Her and Tony Benn. And I bet that despite their polar opposite politics they would get on, and sit and chunter about the career-politicians around these days rather than the vocational ones that they are.

FreudiansSlipper Fri 05-Apr-13 09:47:40

I heard her on Jeremy Vine the other day and she made it very clear that this was not a benefits issue but one about a very controlling and manipulative man

I am glad she has not jumped on benefit bashing wagon but many of her other views I strongly disagree with especially her support of pro life groups those that want to take choice away from women

bochead Fri 05-Apr-13 10:00:19

It's nice to see at least one public figure with enough respect for those children to not try and exploit their deaths for cheap points. I don't see this as a "political issue" and am pleased that Ann Widdcombe at least sees the gravity of the crime.

I've been utterly disgusted with the Tory Leadership the last few days.

There are some real questions to be asked about ensuring the safety of children left in the care of men known to be violent towards their partners that are being ignored. Children died yet our leadership is so blinded by their obsessive desire to demonise the poor that they are willing to desecrate the memories of those poor children to do so. I haven't been so disgusted since Hillsborough.

(For the record I'm probably at the opposite end of the political spectrum to AW).

limitedperiodonly Fri 05-Apr-13 10:13:39

Woman with political views with which you don't agree says something you do like [shocker].

There will be plenty of 'right leaning voices' who believe it is facile to pin the blame for this crime on benefits 'culture' rather than on a psychopath who reacted to a rare challenge to his authority.

It just happens that Ann Widdecombe is now a TV personality who has met Mick Philpott so the media will go to her for her views instead of other people.

I mostly agree with her summation, but why wouldn't I? It's sensible and informed.

Where I do differ from her is her idea that it's the State's business to police people's morals, beyond criminal law, which is what that Independent blog linked to is about. It is full of blame for benefit 'culture'.

I'm sure it's a sincerely-held belief, but it's another example of Widdecombe trotting out her brand of personal morality which many of us would fall foul of.

I can remember when she was targeted for interviews when the big debate over women giving birth in handcuffs (which meant that skin to skin or even holding their babies was out of the question), because she was female. She agreed with this practice, btw, even for those convicted of crimes such as shoplifting. I cannot feel any respect for her, she may have mellowed with age, her views on single Mums in the 80's was disgusting, but it's to little to late. I am glad she had the view on this case that she did, as she is respected on the Right. This whole debate should have been around Domestic Abuse, she would find it difficult to advocate supporting women to leave their relationships, seeming as she had in the past blamed women for not trying to do all they can to not become LP.

Lottapianos Fri 05-Apr-13 10:41:30

I disagree with almost everything she says and agree that her opinions on women giving birth in handcuffs were foul but I have a grudging admiration for her. She has had to put up with absolutely foul abuse and ridicule about her looks and her weight, her lack of a husband and speculation about her sex life - it must have been soul-destroying at times but she would not play the simpering little woman. She totally brazened out all the Strictly ridicule as well.

As others have said, she sticks to her beliefs and has integrity and it's downright sad what a rare situation that is amongst politicians these days. She's certainly no national treasure though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now