to think that 15 years sentence for Philpott is not enough?

(132 Posts)
Missbopeep Thu 04-Apr-13 11:17:01

15 years for the deaths of six children?

I thought you could get 15 years or life for one murder ( and yes, I know the charge was manslaughter.)

The term life is meaningless if it's only 15 years.

Shagmundfreud Fri 05-Apr-13 08:12:12

It's rare for house fires to take so many lives. It strikes me as likely that the Philpotts were so profoundly ignorant that they wouldn't have known how quickly children can die from smoke inhalation.

I don't believe he is unaffected by the deaths of his children however weird or inappropriate his behaviour since.

I think people want to believe he doesn't care because they want to make him out to be less than human. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that he was an involved dad before the fire.

I think it's depressing that he is being dehumanised in this way and being made out to be a monster, and that people can't see that the problems which bedevilled this family - extreme ignorance, violence, mysogyny, are prevalent in many of the grimmest UK households.

Shagmundfreud Fri 05-Apr-13 08:12:59

Or even misogyny. blush

Posterofapombear Fri 05-Apr-13 08:30:15

Normally in these cases I would say that any sentence that could be given would be nothing compared to the punishment of having to live with the deaths of your children.

But they don't care do they? Not once have I seen either of them look genuinely upset. The defence haven't used their grief to prove lack of intent. There is not one shred of evidence that they feel anything for those poor children. It's unnatural.

Floralnomad Fri 05-Apr-13 09:22:19

shag according to the Panorama programme all he did was the school run in the morning , he had little other involvement with the kids .I would love to think that they feel terrible but TBH his behaviour shows the opposite and surely if she felt that bad she would have stopped trying to protect him and told the police the truth .

Shagmund
If, as some people suspect, Mick Philpott has sociopathic tendencies he really could be unaffected by the childrens' death other than the impact it has on him and his way of life.

Its hard for us to comprehend but he may not have a normal emotional reaction to this at all.

PopeFrancis
Thanks for the info on intent. I will look up that case.

Welovegrapes Fri 05-Apr-13 15:01:15

Just watched the Panorama documentary sad sad

I couldn't believe they didn't sit with Duwayne when he was dying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now