to think that 15 years sentence for Philpott is not enough?

(132 Posts)
Missbopeep Thu 04-Apr-13 11:17:01

15 years for the deaths of six children?

I thought you could get 15 years or life for one murder ( and yes, I know the charge was manslaughter.)

The term life is meaningless if it's only 15 years.

wannaBe Thu 04-Apr-13 11:44:16

no I'm not saying it's right but I can understand why it might happen in this kind of instance. if e.g. my sister killed her children (she never would, but ykwim) it would be very, very difficult to see myself ever being able to be in a room with her without the wish to resort too violence born out of anger for the los of those children, children that were a part of my own life iyswim. As I said it's not right but it is different to pure vijilanti justice...

pigletmania Thu 04-Apr-13 11:44:45

I hope he speds the rest of his natural life in prison, the bullying abusive nasty scum, unfortunately the same cant be sad for her

Softlysoftly Thu 04-Apr-13 11:45:35

She couldn't be married to someone who doesn't know I don't think. Even Venebles has to inform any person he builds a close relationship with.

phantomnamechanger Thu 04-Apr-13 11:46:26

what happened to maxine carr (soham) wasn't she given a new ID in the UK?

wannaBe Thu 04-Apr-13 11:47:26

if you read that someone had murdered say, their sister, because she had killed her six children can you honestly say you would feel no compassion for someone who resorted to that? I would, and I am usually the first to jump on the "violence is wrong, vijilanti justice is wrong," argument.

No, two wrongs don't make a right, but yes, I would view someone who killed a relative in those circumstances differently to a cold blooded murderer or even a hardcore vijilanti.

wannaBe Thu 04-Apr-13 11:50:08

maxine carr was given a new identity partly because she only served a two year sentence and partly because of the emotive nature of the case. bearing in mind that maxine carr served her sentence for perverting the course of justice yet the media almost painted her as a murderer herself.

pigletmania Thu 04-Apr-13 11:50:56

I watched that panorama programme about it, was so sad

phantomnamechanger Thu 04-Apr-13 11:53:38

Except in the most disfunctional families, I would think anyone who has suffered the dreadful things that Maireads family have, would be all the less inclined to harm the perpetrators becasue they know how violence rips families apart and they would not want that for their own families - with them in prison!

If you were unattached and childless, or already had a terminal illness, then you might not give a damn anyway.

HollyBerryBush Thu 04-Apr-13 11:54:32

The reason we have laws is to stop vigilante behaviour and not act like pack animals.

If my hypothetical sister manslaughtered her hypothetical children, the last thing I'm going to hypothetically do is murder her and leave my own children motherless whilst I'm incarcerated. Or perhaps the law wouldn't apply to that hypothetical situation?

phantomnamechanger Thu 04-Apr-13 11:55:58

thats what I was trying to say - HBB did it better!

Maxinne Carr has been given several new identities, she kept blowing her cover because she wanted to be relocated abroad. She was in a village close to where I used to live at one point and told a pub full of people who she was and was moved the next day.

The sentences in the Philpott case were pretty much what I expected, very low. I suppose the judge has to look at the crime that was meant to happen and the death of those 6 babies were an accidental consequence of their fucking stupidity angry I really don't think either of them will get out alive tbh, other prisoners won't take too kindly to what they did. I'm not sure about the other guy, I don't know what his involvement was exactly.

Wannabestepfordwife Thu 04-Apr-13 12:05:23

Maxine Carr apparently recieved cosmetic surgery to stop her being recognised

LangenFlugelHappleHoff Thu 04-Apr-13 12:11:12

With such a horrific and well known crime...how long until they are lynched in prison? Even criminals have a twisted sense of morals. And the cunts can't spend their whole sentence on protection...

janey68 Thu 04-Apr-13 12:14:23

Judges can't just make It up as they go along- they have to follow sentencing guidelines and the key thing here is that there was no evidence that they intended to harm the children, and indeed there must have been quite a lot of evidence to the contrary- that it was a plan that went wrong

It would be far more palatable to us if we could see them all banged up for life. What sticks in our mind as outsiders is the deaths of 6 innocent kids, but the judge has a far tougher job to do than us. Having said that, I'm more concerned tbh about the low sentencing for the wife and friend... But I guess we have to leave it to the experts. 8 years which is what the 17 is in reality seems pretty low

Am shocked about the Maxine carr thing... Why did she want people to know her identity? How did people react? Or didn't they believe her?

Remotecontrolduck Thu 04-Apr-13 12:22:16

I don't think the wife and accomplice got nearly enough time....she could still thoretically have children when she gets out in what is likely to be 8 years time!

As for Mick, I'm not a condoner of violence at all usually but I wouldn't be too upset if something unfortunate happened to him inside... He is a truely dangerous individual and should not come out of prison alive.

She wanted people to know because she wanted to be moved abroad, she had, apparently, done it a few times and been moved and I assume she thought if she blew her cover enough there would be nowhere safe in britain for her to go so the police would have to relocate her where she wanted to go.

A friend of mine was in the pub when she came out with it, apparently it was just disbelief from people to start with, she kept on repeating it and the landlord told her she had better leave, she had then obviously went home and told the police who moved her. It was a tiny little Cornish village, no-one suspected a thing, they were all being friendly and welcoming to her, she came out with it totally unprompted. That was about 7 or 8 years ago now so I don't know if she ever got her wish and got moved to another country.

janey
Good post.

Sickening though this crime is, the intent was for the children to be saved rather than killed. Hence why they were convicted of manslaughter and why the sentences are probably lower than they would have been for the murder of 6 children.

I really doubt Philpott will get out of jail. I can't imagine he is going to keep a low profile or be allowed to keep one by the other prisoners.

ATJabberwocky Thu 04-Apr-13 12:31:48

less than 3 years per child, disguisting, put the added delight of him stabbing his previous partner, i does not seem anywhere near the right length of time

Snazzynewyear Thu 04-Apr-13 12:31:59

I would expect Mairead to be given a new identity in line with Maxine Carr - it's the emotive nature of the crime that prompts it rather than being a child or adult at the time of conviction. Once you have 'done your time' you are entitled to protection like any other person, so if a new identity is necessary for that then that's what'll happen.

I very much doubt Mick Philpott will ever be released. Law types on Twitter are saying that a life + 15 min sentence is the highest given for manslaughter and is comparable to a standard murder sentence. So looks like the judge has been as tough as she could have been on him.

The other two, well, I don't know. Moseley apparently started telling people he had done it and been in it along with Mick. He seems unbelievably stupid. He has kids of his own and the ex-partner, unsurprisingly, wants nothing to do with him now.

Pagwatch Thu 04-Apr-13 12:33:34

Can I just oh back to the idea that if a family member was involved in a heinous crime/murder of a child one would be driven to attack them.

I have to say, whilst I understand why people posts it - if anyone ever hurt my child I would kill them - it's not really true is it?

Because otherwise we would be constantly watching a stream of revenge trials.

I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to lose a child, let alone to murder, so to say 'I would do x ' seems ridiculous.
The only conclusion to draw from the lack of revenge attacks is that those parents just don't care as much as we would. Which is nonsense of course.

Wannabestepfordwife Thu 04-Apr-13 12:34:15

Missy that's disgusting and such an insult to those girls. I genuinely believed her taped reaction to what he did was honest but if she wants to go abroad she should have worked and paid for it herself.

Maybe I'm biased having the same surname and being from the same place the amount of shit my family and I got was disgusting.

Sorry for hijacking op. I feel so sorry for the family who weren't involved

ATJabberwocky
He has a LIFE sentence with a minimum term of 15 years before he can be considered for parole. Being considered for parole does not mean automatic release, the parole board can and does refuse parole. It is entirely possible given Mick Philpott's age that he will die in prison.

quesadilla Thu 04-Apr-13 12:44:28

I would put money on Mairead topping herself inside. She is clearly very vulnerable and the sort of person who can't function without a bloke and despite being twisted and pathetically weak is obviously bereft without her kuds. If she is still alive in 12 months I will be surprised. As for him, I think he will likely die of natural causes.

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 04-Apr-13 12:44:47

Phillpot will be leaving a life where was a minor celebrity, and lived a life in which he was in total control, and going into one where he will be lowest of the pecking order, with no control at all for at least 15 years, if not for the rest of his life.
I think he'll lose that arrogant swagger very, very soon.

quesadilla Thu 04-Apr-13 12:44:50

Kids, not kuds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now