Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think the world does not need 'gender reveal parties'?

(282 Posts)

My cousin, clearly the first woman in the world to ever give birth wink, has just had something called a gender reveal party.

They went for the scan, then had friends and family around, ramped up the suspense for a couple hours, then she opened a big box of balloons that were.... pink! It's a girl! Awwww.

AIBU to think this is the wankiest thing ever? Or am I a joyless hag?

My family think it's cute so I need you nest of vipers lot to restore my faith in humanity.

I saw the cakes a while ago, they are horrid the whole concept is horrid, who cares what the unborn baby is. Lets just get to it being born healthy and then you can start celebrating the insignificant things.

I don't understand why, what bits a baby or young child has is important to anyone. Apart from choosing a name, it bares no impact in anyone elses lifes (aside from genetic disorders that have a gender link).

CockyFox Thu 04-Apr-13 09:44:59

Oh have googled now, gender is cultural personal identification - nonsense.

Theicingontop Thu 04-Apr-13 09:45:40

YABU, because I get feckloads of customers wanting gender-reveal cakes.

wink

eccentrica Thu 04-Apr-13 09:45:47

Sex is biological physique, gender is culturally learned behaviour, these parties are awful ;-

eccentrica Thu 04-Apr-13 09:46:15

And that was meant to be a wink!

glorious Thu 04-Apr-13 09:46:24

fox sex is biological whereas gender is what someone identifies themselves as. I didn't know either until I embarrassed myself once smile

I can't get steamed up about gender parties/baby showers/gift lists etc. Let other people get on with what makes them happy. I don't understand the foaming about it.

And I think it's incredibly naive to suggest that no one should care about what sex their baby is. People do, it's life.

thanks ladies grin

I have to say, it's increasingly annoying living in a Pinterest world. It's like there are so many more things I have to pretend to care about!

Easily great point about gender vs sex. Another reason to hate the whole idea.

I should say as well, my cousin is American, so if the scan turns out to be wrong there will no doubt be a lawsuit in the works wink

icing I will totally accept AIBU in your case! Are you in the UK? Is it really becoming a thing there?

HesterShaw Thu 04-Apr-13 09:53:47

God, I've heard it all now hmm. Wanky is right

I think what people are forgetting in these FB and Twitter driven times is their lives are not as interesting or exciting to other people.

EasilyBored Thu 04-Apr-13 09:54:43

I understand people caring. We certainly wanted to know the sex, just so we were not limited to only buying while clothes (as it was we bought a lot of purple, green, yellow etc, not just blue), but it also made us feel like the whole thing was a bit more 'real'. The part I object to is the whole 'it's a girl/boy! Here's a load of frilly pink/blue cars lets just get this kid all well and labelled before it's even taken it's first breath!' And do not even get me started on naming babies before they are even born.

I find it all a bit tacky to be honest. Gender reveal party and grabby baby shower. Why can't people enjoy having a new baby without it being this giant production. We had a little meet the baby type party when DS was a couple of weeks old, everyone came over for some cakes but there was absolutely no expectation of gifts.

TakingTheStairs Thu 04-Apr-13 09:56:05

YABU.
Why on earth does it bother you? If it's not for you, don't go to the party.
Or does it make you feel smug & superior to sneer at others because you don't agree with their reasons for excitement.

Librarina Thu 04-Apr-13 09:56:07

I'm glad someone else asked about the gender/sex thing cos I'm never very sure.

My sex is female - that's biology, X & Y chromosomes, that sort of thing. If I have gender reassignment surgery, my chromosomes will stay the same, so I will always be biologically female.

My gender is ... about identity? I identify myself female, however other people may identify themselves as something other than their biological sex, and you might even define yourself as gender-neutral?

Is that right? I'm practically tying myself in knots attempting not to be offensive to anyone.

Either way, any excuse for a party and I like cake very much but I wouldn't have a party to reveal anything about this baby just in case something goes wrong before they're safely in my arms.

thebody Thu 04-Apr-13 09:58:33

Ar am guessing its a Pfb.

When she gets to number 4 noone gives a shite!

Seriously she sounds a hoot, wait till potty training she will probably have a poo in the potty party!!!

At least you will have a good laugh as time progresses.

catlady1 Thu 04-Apr-13 09:59:17

I'm another who just can't seem to get wound up about this. It's not something I'd do myself, but if other people want to throw a party then why not? Life, for the most part, is pretty dull, so surely any reason for cake celebration is a good thing.

Mondayschild78 Thu 04-Apr-13 10:01:59

Definitely wanky. However, I am going to tell my friends we are having such a party though now I'm preg with #2

Just for a laugh like! grin

maddening Thu 04-Apr-13 10:09:08

I don't know anyone who wasn't interested in the sex of their baby - whether they found out at the scan or keeping it a surprise for the birth. And what sex the baby is is always one of the first questions - so I don't get all those suggesting that no one should care.

Personally wouldn't have a party or a shower or even christening/naming party but it doesn't bother me that others do.

anothershittynickname Thu 04-Apr-13 10:14:13

YANBU - I also think that this is the wankiest (word steal) ever and they should be celebrating the fact that the baby is ok xx

anothershittynickname Thu 04-Apr-13 10:15:37

Wankiest thing ever*

LokiTheCynicalCat Thu 04-Apr-13 10:20:43

I had one. It was fun, just an excuse to have friends over for cake.

We have a really good home for parties, but both of our birthdays fell too late into my pregnancy to celebrate with a party, and we didn't think we'd be up for hosting parties post-pregnancy because, well, you never know what's gonna happen with the birth. We needed a good second trimester excuse.

Anyway I was rubbish at keeping secrets so everyone knew the damn thing was blue before we cut it.

I assumed this was about adults from the title grin

fuzzysnout Thu 04-Apr-13 10:24:07

I thought you were going to say it was one of those lentil weavery extremists families who give their child a gender neutral name e.g. Storm or Rain and refuse to tell anyone the sex until the child is 26 so that they are not defined by the gender expectations of others.

YANBU, I'm joining the nest of vipers to say we really don't need parties with boxes of balloons or colour reveal cakes however sweet & harmless it is. America, you are a great country in many ways, but please keep your twee crap to yourselves. There is something in the British psyche which makes us scoff & tut at your excesses and then ultimately copy them. We are weak sad

Pancakeflipper Thu 04-Apr-13 10:25:19

Dream - yep you are a humourless old hag cos it's made me giggle.

I feel left out as we went for 'surpise' and never found out the gender at the scans for our children. Boring old fart me - missed out on a cake and balloon opportunity.

Fucksake. I'm shocked at the stupidity of the posters who are making holier than thou comments regarding being so interested in the sex of your baby, that you are automatically too preoccupied to give a thought to the health of your child. You can do both hmm

sjupes Thu 04-Apr-13 10:27:54

I wouldn't do it and i wouldn't go to one either.

Important people i told by phone the rest by facebook.

The sheer effort of having to throw a party uch sad but i'm a lazy miserable sod wallowing in my pregnancy induced sleepy spell and everything is too much effort ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now