Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think the world does not need 'gender reveal parties'?

(282 Posts)

My cousin, clearly the first woman in the world to ever give birth wink, has just had something called a gender reveal party.

They went for the scan, then had friends and family around, ramped up the suspense for a couple hours, then she opened a big box of balloons that were.... pink! It's a girl! Awwww.

AIBU to think this is the wankiest thing ever? Or am I a joyless hag?

My family think it's cute so I need you nest of vipers lot to restore my faith in humanity.

MagratOfStolat Sat 06-Apr-13 16:01:24

I think it's a pile of shit in my opinion, but whatever floats their boat...

WhatILoved Sat 06-Apr-13 16:49:15

Definitely naff. I heard in the States that the sonographer writes the sex down on a piece of paper and puts it in an envelope so parents are still unaware. You then give this envelope to the baker and they bake a cake which is blue or pink inside. When you cut the cake you find out. Gross!

quoteunquote Sat 06-Apr-13 19:23:08

I'm amazed that they could find anyone that would go to such a party, I don't think I've ever been that bored that I would consider such a thing, did the cake have cocaine icing? (struggling to think of the appeal)

Isn't it the kind of thing that could be covered in a short conversation.

God, are you lot still wetting your knickers over this?

quoteunquote Sat 06-Apr-13 20:01:05

sorry Gwen read the thread at 19:21, replied,

Is there something I'm missing about a public forum works?

Are we only meant to reply within a certain time, could you specify the time limit to partake in threads?

IfNotNowThenWhen Sun 07-Apr-13 11:09:58

When I was pregnant I didn't want to know the sex, but I had a strange fear that my baby would be intersex-neither one nor t'other. I realise thus is not something that most people consider. I am just that much of an anxious nutter.
Imagine an intersex reveal party. Purple balloons?

lauratheexplorer Sun 07-Apr-13 14:02:49

Completely naff imo. I don't think they should be banned however as I'd do something like that for my DP if he couldn't attend the scan just as a little surprise but that's between us, not us and twenty of our friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now