To ask MNers never to link to or open a link to the Daily Mail?

(82 Posts)
TurdusMerula Thu 04-Apr-13 08:59:20

For it is a vile, hate-preaching, lie-spreading rag, and every click helps them carry on being a vile, hate-preaching, lie-spreading rag.

Even if it's a click simply to see the latest example of disgusting and wrong they are, or the latest nonsense from the latest vacuous columnist - please do not be part of their massive online audience.

This is something we can all do. Yes, perhaps a wee sacrifice, to forego that glow of righteous anger - but we can see what they are saying without ever needing to click on their fucking website.

If you don't think IABU, please join me. Thank you.

I will never again link to or open a link to the Daily Mail.

Dawndonna Thu 04-Apr-13 09:00:34

I shan't. I shall also state where my link is from, or at least that it isn't a Mail link.

Trills Thu 04-Apr-13 09:01:59

YANBU to ask, YABU to expect it to happen.

Trills Thu 04-Apr-13 09:02:14

But you're not asking if you are being unreasonable, you are asking us to do it

HollyBerryBush Thu 04-Apr-13 09:02:43

Groundhog day

LynetteScavo Thu 04-Apr-13 09:04:41

TurdusMerula, why don't you make a list of all the things you would like us not to do?

And can you suggest any other way I can keep up with KK's pregnancy?

ophelia275 Thu 04-Apr-13 09:06:12

Why don't you just not read it and not read any MN threads about the Daily Mail if you feel so strongly?

Personally I think people take the Daily Mail far too seriously and should just see it for what it is - mostly showbiz gossip with a bit of "news" thrown in. Anyone with half a brain can make up their own minds and research any story because we have a thing called the internet. This is a democracy. You are welcome to read it or not read it but singling out one newspaper as a source of all evil is a bit OTT even for Mumsnet!

GreenLeafTea Thu 04-Apr-13 09:07:10

Did anyone read the story about Katie Holmes' hair being blown in the wind?

Journalism at its finest!

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2303761/Bare-faced-Katie-Holmes-looks-dishevelled-battles-windy-weather-New-York.html

CheCazzo Thu 04-Apr-13 09:08:03

Groundhog day indeed Holly. Which means that any minute now I'll be running up the stairs to answer the door to the postman.

<<<waits>>>

Sparklingpeaceandlovebrook Thu 04-Apr-13 09:09:33

#I got you babe.

QueenBIWI Thu 04-Apr-13 09:09:42

"Personally I think people take the Daily Mail far too seriously and should just see it for what it is - mostly showbiz gossip with a bit of "news" thrown in."

So you see yesterday's front page as just 'a bit of news'? Please engage your brain before you make comments like that. The Daily Mail has an agenda way, way beyond showbiz gossip.

It's entirely up to other people whether or not they read the Daily Mail, or click on links to their online site, but you need to know what this paper is really all about before you do. Lighthearted, frothy it is not.

Purple2012 Thu 04-Apr-13 09:10:04

Some of their stuff is utter tripe. They also have some amazing historical stories, especially at weekends. So no, I won't stop reading it. I am a mature person and just because I like some of their articles it doesn't mean I am going to start hating immigrants/police/people on benefits.

fuzzypicklehead Thu 04-Apr-13 09:12:00

I'm quite happy to avoid giving them my money by never clicking on any of their links, and I wouldn't be reading them in the first place to link to their articles. But that has always been the case.

But how to convince the people who do read the Fail to avoid linking? Not sure where to start...

yousankmybattleship Thu 04-Apr-13 09:14:58

You can ask. Not unreasonable at all!

I shall continue to open any links I want to though thank you. I don't like censorship. I dislike the Daily Mail too but not enough to boycot it.
Loving the "article" about Katie Holmes hair by the way!

MrsMorton Thu 04-Apr-13 09:20:59

I would like people to not link to FB. H won't allow me on FB hmm and if insccidentslly click on a link he would go mad. (My problem though sadly)

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Thu 04-Apr-13 09:22:48

But their journalists were the driving force behind keeping the Stephen Lawrence case at the front of everyone's minds, and the tenacity eventually resulted in a conviction against his murderers. Yes there is some hateful stuff on there, but they do have a positive impact on occasion. Or should we ignore the good and focus on the bad?

Ashoething Thu 04-Apr-13 09:23:44

YABVFU. We live in a democracy. Freedom of speech is something we should never take for granted. If you don't like it-don't read it.

HollyBerryBush Thu 04-Apr-13 09:24:49

It has some really nice photos of a converted church this morning .....

flipflump Thu 04-Apr-13 09:25:27

If you don't like it, don't read it!! But don't expect others to follow suit just because you say so.

As the 2nd biggest selling paper in the UK, you'll have a hard job to convince the nation. Also going by those statistics, the editor must think he's doing something right.

And before you ask, no I don't read it!

I bet DM is gleefully looking at their statistics daily, as every single link to their site, exact article and all, will tell its own story, AND link back to the same thread it was posted from.

Each DM bashing thread will give them vital insight into what people think, and how they react. Free research provided by mumsnetters.

Yabu.

But People are Sheep you know, "I click therefore I am".

TurdusMerula Thu 04-Apr-13 09:36:24

Ok, bit much to ask, perhaps.

Problem is some people do take it seriously, and its circulation helps people take it seriously. It just makes me feel sick. You know, like dog poo on the street or something, and I'd not be U to ask people not to perpetuate that.

LynetteScavo Thu 04-Apr-13 09:36:38

There's a very funny article about a women who would welcome people smacking her children if they were badly behaved.

And I'm really not sure about that maxi dress KK is wearing.

batteryhen Thu 04-Apr-13 09:36:51

Another Mail thread? Really? It makes me smile that despite MNers claiming to hate the Mail, it is the most talked about and linked to on MN!
MN alone is keeping the paper going surely! If you don't like it, don't read it, link to it, quote it or start a thread about it. Simples.

Lovelygoldboots Thu 04-Apr-13 09:36:51

Yesterdays was in the curry house I went to last night. They went to far and referred to the Philpott children as spawn. I have complained to the pcc. It was sick.

yousankmybattleship Thu 04-Apr-13 09:38:14

The maxi dress is a mistake definitely. She needs more support at that stage in her pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now