Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

That Royal Mail package postage prices hike yesterday will severely dent Ebay, Amazon selling/buying, etc.

(99 Posts)
OhLori Wed 03-Apr-13 18:50:51

I went to the Post Office today to send some crocs through the post, second class - normally £2.60.

However, it is now (second-class) £5.20 to send this item. It was 2mm thicker than the new width allowances (even though it was incredibly light 330g).

The PO worker told me these were the new rates from 2 April 2013. They have a new measuring plastic thing to check measurements for small and medium packets.

So, apart from buying/selling books (which counts as a small packet), that's it for me.

FIFIBEBE Wed 03-Apr-13 20:33:00

45cm x 35cm x 8cm is my new mantra. If the parcel is any bigger, costs go through the roof.

MrsBW Italy Wed 03-Apr-13 20:36:25

Letter by special delivery today... About 8 pages of A4 in an A5 envelope... Over 5 fucking quid angry

Ridiculous.

floweryblue Wed 03-Apr-13 20:40:36

We do mail order in our jewellery business. Special Delivery has gone from £5.90 to £6.22 minimum, but as we are sending valuables we have no choice but to use it, most parcel carriers simply don't insure valuables like jewellery.

My Post Office Man told me about another business in town who does mail order, their postage bill went from £40 last week up to £75 this week for the same no of similarly sized parcels! That business will be looking elsewhere for their service provider.

Having worked in distribution in the past, you have to have A LOT of parcels daily to make using couriers a realistic option. Also, the couriers don't have a fully daily service to nearly all of the UK, and if they can't deliver because you are out their depots are inaccessible.

I think the government are trying to get rid of Royal Mail and Post Offices, because the service they provide is universal and therefore expensive.

As with all the utilities, apparently 'competition' is good for consumers, no, actually it isn't. For Royal Mail to continue to provide the universal service we all want for our mail, their market share has to be properly protected.

IAmLouisWalsh Wed 03-Apr-13 20:42:26

Collect Plus are very good - will be using them if this is how things are going.

LackaDAISYcal Italy Wed 03-Apr-13 20:50:29

hermes do an ebay service from £2.50. I've used them before and have always been impressed with my local agent, though I believe there are mixed reviews of them

I think this really will be the death knell for post offices and also ebay for non business sellers sad

We'll all have to brave the elements at car boot sales again grin

complexnumber Wed 03-Apr-13 21:20:20

Ooh! I now realise that maybe I shouldn't be here

I sent a passport renewal envelope a few days ago.

That probably doesn't count.

However we have been able to track everything, including the time it was misscheduleld to some where in East midlands.

Just think The Snowman and flow....

StoickTheVast Wed 03-Apr-13 21:32:46

Apparently it is all to do with size - so small heavy parcels are cheaper, but larger lighter parcels are more expensive. May reduce the amount of crappy packaging used.

Footface Wed 03-Apr-13 21:41:34

45cm x 35cm x 8cm is my new mantra. If the parcel is any bigger, costs go through the roof.

Where did you get the lengths from, if bigger than this does it mean its a medium parcel?

lookoveryourshouldernow Wed 03-Apr-13 21:45:29

There is also an "exception parcel" - 16cm x 16cm x 16cm - which is just under a 6in square cube - this will go as a SMALL PARCEL... or so I led to believe..

I have made myself a test cube to make sure that my parcels meet the criteria...

NumericalMum Wed 03-Apr-13 21:49:05

I got stung today. Went to PO after listing some curtains and measuring size etc and they cost.... £13 to post. Profit of less than £3 on £30 curtains. I could cry.

The guarantee amount is a serious kick in the teeth - I generally only sell stuff that is around the £20-£30 mark, so this is no longer guaranteed under standard postage.

NumericalMum Wed 03-Apr-13 22:03:48

Collectplus is £3 for same thing! S going to do that instead. So glad I didn't actually post it today -woohoo!

sarahtigh Wed 03-Apr-13 22:06:25

myhermes 3.30 upto 1kg collected from your house or safe place only £3 if you drop at a store

upto2kg in 50x30x30cm box 4.20 with my hermes 4.00with collectplus

2-5kg 4.99 with collect plus

as someone said small packet upto1kg is 2.60 second class so if you can fit as a large letter or size as quoted above 43 x 35 x 8 or 16cm (6")cube
so that is still cheaper with royal mail

it is cheaper to send a 7" cube weighing 500g to france than from london to birmingham

the problem with less packaging is that items arrive damaged guidance is for anything other than books clothes that there should be 5cm of packing in all directions around article

basically hold your parcel at arms length over the pavement if you are scared to drop in case it breaks you have not used enough packing

collectplus and myhermes will be laughing all the way to bank should have bought shares grin

JustOneMoreBite Wed 03-Apr-13 22:08:32

On the bright side, I'm hoping the new charges might put my MIL off from sending big parcels full of tat from the charity shop carefully chosen gifts for the DCs. We had two boxes arrive today with presents for their birthdays which had cost her £11 to post - probably not much less than the total value of the contents! Madness (especially as most of it will probably make its way back to the charity shop shortly. Yes, I am an evil ungrateful DIL).

BreconBeBuggered Italy Wed 03-Apr-13 22:13:38

I wondered why the post office counter yesterday was festooned with notices saying This Is Not Our Fault and We Have No More Information. Or something along those lines. My parcel was fairly small and cost £3 to send first class, so not too much of a shocker. I'll be wary of sending larger lightweight packages from now on.

GemmaTeller Wed 03-Apr-13 22:22:11

Yep, another one here who spent all morning changing her etsy and folksy postage prices angry. I'm sure its going to put buyers off and I'm only charging the RM rates, I don't charge any extra for packaging.

I dropped 16 parcels at the post office yesterday, picked my receipts up today - £46, on that basis its probably going to cost me an extra £50 a week.

I did notice the local One Stop shop had a new myhermes sign outside at the weekend, looks like my bigger orders are going with them.

GemmaTeller Wed 03-Apr-13 22:25:49

For anyone who posts out regularly you can send off for a size cardboard 'size template' to make sure your parcels fit.

www.royalmail.com/parcel-template-order-form

crockydoodle Wed 03-Apr-13 23:09:53

I can understand why larger parcels cost more as they are more difficult to handle and sort.

OhLori Thu 04-Apr-13 01:00:06

Aha ... had a little hunt round the internet and have discovered possible real reason for these huge increases.

Its called "fattening Royal Mail up for privatisation" i.e. increasing profits in the short term. So, now we know sad.

Royal mail are a joke. I used to send parcels to my sister who lives the other side of the country. I now buy things from online stores that use different couriers as it free-£5 for bulk, whereas it costs a bomb to send the same manually through royal mail.

That being said, i do wonder whether the gov are completely writing royal mail off for complete privatisation hmm

Damash12 Thu 04-Apr-13 02:48:33

This is ridiculous but I can vouch for My Hermes couriour or collect and drop. I have been using these for large parcels but will use them for most things now. Last week, I took a number of parcels to the post office, I had charged postage of £4.80 on eBay they wanted £9 something!! And this as before the increase. For a total of 3 items they wanted around £20, I came home and arranged for My Hermes to collect from me and the total cost was £12.80. If I'd chose to drop the parcels at the local convenience store it would have been even cheaper at around £11 so they will be getting all my business in the future.

Kytti Thu 04-Apr-13 04:40:37

I've used Hermes too - very good! Drop-off at a local garage, fabulous!

getmeoutofthismadhouse Thu 04-Apr-13 06:00:26

I bought a bundle of tops and hoodies off ebay before the weekend . The woman charged £4.00 postage. She messaged me on tuesday to say the parcel was gonna cost £8 something to post in 1 package so shes split the parcels into 2 and its cost her £5 something !!! Ridiculous. Its definitely gonna put me off ebay now !

Twattybollocks Thu 04-Apr-13 07:06:01

Royal fail have really hammered the nails in their own coffin with this one. Ridiculously expensive to use their utterly crap service, they don't guarantee next day or even second day for first class anymore, they have a nasty habit of losing parcels too. Why anyone in their right mind would pay so much for such an indifferent service is beyond me. The fact that Hermes and other couriers can provide an excellent service at a fraction of the cost shows up just how overpriced royal mail is.

meditrina Thu 04-Apr-13 07:14:03

I don't think RM can be fattened up for sale. All the profitable bits have been cherry picked by competitors. They'll be left with the (uneconomic) door to door (last mile) services, on which the elderly and remote rely. And when that falls over, it'll get really expensive, not just parcels/packages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now