Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

That Philpotts' QC Defence to call him a "very good father" is shocking

(35 Posts)
OhLori Wed 03-Apr-13 18:01:31

Actually, beyond shocking.

sybilfaulty Thu 04-Apr-13 08:53:12

I find the pyjama thing a bit meaningless. If my DD2 falls asleep on the sofa, I put her into bed as she is rather than wake her. Similarly if DS wants to wear just a vest, then that goes too.

I would rather save my ire for all the other instances of neglect that befell those poor kids.

As a lawyer you do just state the facts. Your personal opinion is irrelevant and not what the court is interested in. The judge will have her own opinion as well but won't let that colour her sentence. From what I've read so far, she seems quite measured in her approach.

lolaflores Thu 04-Apr-13 08:55:35

True Nancy66. It also makes me wonder, that when all the neighbours said the kids were adorable and lovely, was that despite of their home life? children's resilience being an amazing commodity that allows some children to develop in horrid circumstances. Was this a case of benign neglect rather than the terrible conditions we have seen in other cases?
Watching Mairead in one part of a documentary discussing His plan to divorce her and marry Lisa, she commented
"Divorce is only for people who have affairs".
Despite the face of Lisa being pixallated it wasn't hard to imagine the slack jawed shock at such a willfully stupid comment.
They were all actors in a play directed by Him. The theme being, isn't it so bad that we are this naughty. Lisa a bridesmaid at their wedding and her ready to drop seemed to make them all laugh. That was the glue of the whole situation; all in it together, no one understands, they are jealous cos we are so happy......
The kind of shit talk used to keep people in line

AThingInYourLife Thu 04-Apr-13 10:23:54

Yeah, I have no quarrel with his QC at all.

But I feel bad for the guy having to scrape such an empty barrel.

If you had anything to work with you wouldn't be bringing up that the last time he tried to kill someone was a long time ago.

TheBigJessie Thu 04-Apr-13 11:26:54

Like everyone else, I would say this is simply a QC doing their job- to defend.

In the local newspaper (of my town), I often read the reports on local criminal cases just to see the quotes from the local defence solicitor, because his indefatigability and ingenuity are inspiring! His clients are doomed to be convicted before he takes the case, but he always makes the effort to do his job.

BookieMonster Thu 04-Apr-13 11:31:42

Actually, what I found more shocking was the QC replying to the judge's comment that there had been domestic violence in every one of Philpott's re,ationships, "Yes, but not extreme violence." So a wee bit of violence is fine, then. hmm And double hmm given that his ex was stabbed 27 times and her mother 11.

Remotecontrolduck Thu 04-Apr-13 12:26:16

I know a QC's job is to defend, but I truely believe this one crossed a line for me. A 'good father' he clearly is not, and as for condoning the fact he stabbed his ex girlfriend and her mother multiple times like it didn't even matter...I'm sorry, that just really isn't on.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Apr-13 12:31:18

YABU. The man is utterly stupid, violent, reckless, amoral & clearly had no grasp of consequences or any regard for human life ... but his kids seemed very happy and well cared-for by all accounts. Right up to the point where he killed them I think being 'a good Dad' was probably his solitary redeeming feature. His defence counsel will have been clutching at straws...

TunipTheVegedude Thu 04-Apr-13 12:36:48

It is shocking, but I am not shocked at the QC IYSWIM, but that the bar can be considered so low for what counts as good fatherhood that the QC even felt it worth a try.

cantspel Thu 04-Apr-13 12:41:33

The kids probably were happy but then they knew no better as they were born into that set up.
They would see it perfectly normal to all be crammed together in a bedroom whilst daddy had a room with a nice big snooker table in it.
The neighbours say apart from taking the kids to school in the morning in his van Philpot never took them out and they were never seen out playing as they were kept in the house. This again would be normal to the children as it is now they had always lived.
Did he love his kids? Probably yes but his love was second to his own needs and wants. They would have been his possessions, his means of income and part of his status in the community.

Remotecontrolduck Thu 04-Apr-13 12:41:46

I can JUST about accept the good father bit... It's the condoning of the attempted murder and violence that I feel is just not somewhere you should go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now