AIBU to be concerned that my heart rate is so high?

(20 Posts)
TrickyBiscuits Wed 03-Apr-13 16:58:32

I had exactly this problem, in my case my doctor said it corresponded with low iron levels. It remained elevated though til I gave birth.

Cherriesarelovely Wed 03-Apr-13 16:53:06

Is it at all possible that you have an infection or virus of some kind? My heart does very strange things when I am ill and it sometimes goes into unusual rhythms or very fast beats before I even have any other clues that I am ill. After much investigation the cardiologist concluded that I have a damaged sinus node (heart's natural pacemaker) which is now over sensitive to infection, alcohol or caffiene. It will apparently right itself in the years to come and I now take beta blockers when it is very bad.

MusicalEndorphins Wed 03-Apr-13 16:45:44

Worrying about it isn't good for you either, I think I'd get a second opinion since your dp who is in the medical field is concerned. Good luck.

squeakytoy Wed 03-Apr-13 16:43:56

Can you see a different GP at your medical centre?

I think you need to get a second opinion, if only to put your mind at rest because stress will certainly not help to keep your heart rate down.

marzipananimal Wed 03-Apr-13 16:42:47

If you're worrying about it then I'd go back to GP. I had very high heart rate in pregnancy though and nothing was (apparently) wrong

juniper9 Wed 03-Apr-13 16:42:20

My DP is a psychiatrist so, although he is a doctor, he's not an expert in obstetrics. He seems fairly concerned about it and annoyed that my GP was so dismissive.

squeakytoy Wed 03-Apr-13 16:37:37

Is your DP a medical professional too?

lots of factors can raise your pulse, just look at the posters on here who pretend they dont read the Daily Mail..

If you are worried, go back to the doctor.

juniper9 Wed 03-Apr-13 16:35:51

Well it's half an hour since I got in, and all I've done is sit down, and my pulse is still 101.

Like I said, my resting pulse is in the 90s or 100s- the 145 made me go a bit shock as I walked fairy slowly, and a ten minute walk is not far for me.

MusicalEndorphins Wed 03-Apr-13 16:30:26

The Normal Pulse Rate During Pregnancy

A pregnant woman's normal pulse rate depends on several factors, according to Baby Fit. These include her age, fitness level, and health before getting pregnant. However, a typical resting heart rate for an adult woman is 75 beats per minute; when pregnant, that same woman can expect her resting rate to be approximately 80 beats per minute.
Exercise

It used to be that pregnant women were advised not to allow their heart rate to go above 140 beats per min during pregnancy. However, in 1994, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology changed its recommendation because there was no evidence that a heart rate greater than 140 beats per min was harmful for the mother or baby. Instead, pregnant women should use their perceived rate of exertion to measure intensity, and aim to exercise at a level that allows them to carry on a conversation while exercising.

Hope that helps relieve your anxiety. smile

juniper9 Wed 03-Apr-13 16:25:55

My blood pressure has always been on the lowish side but hasn't caused me issues in the past.

My pre-pregnancy heart rate was about 60-70bmp. I'm 28 and not excessively active but not inactive either- I doubt it's 145 simply because I'm unfit.

poppypebble Wed 03-Apr-13 16:22:12

What was your blood pressure normally before you got pregnant? 100/60 is in the normal range but for me would be too low and would see me feeling light-headed and suffering palpitations.

He got the right heart beat, yeah? smile

juniper9 Wed 03-Apr-13 16:20:15

My DP used his stethoscope too- the heart rate app is accurate.

MusicalEndorphins Wed 03-Apr-13 16:18:41

Could you be anemic? Have you had your iron checked? I agree if you are concerned to go back and ask for an ECG.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 03-Apr-13 16:18:34

So you walked for ten minutes and successfully pushed it up where you should be to be considered to be exercising. But it took quite a while to drop back to normal, usually this would be a diagnosis of not being fit.
145 is not an excessively high heart rate if you have been doing nice brisk walking and are ever so slightly out of breath.

...when I work out though, my heart rate always goes higher than the max...so far I havent keeled over yet smile

I agree with squeaky, don't use an app, go to a doctor.

I really dont think a heart rate app is going to be accurate so try not to worry.

How old are you??

Resting heart rate should be between 55-80 but that is total resting, doing nothing. When working out your max should be 220 minus your age and then about 80% of this.

The only way to get an accurate reading is to be using a heart rate strap which actually connects to your body - I don't see how an app can tell what your heart rate is.

When I was pg with my DS (many moons ago now) I felt light headed and dizzy if I stood too long. Make sure you are eating enough.

squeakytoy Wed 03-Apr-13 16:15:44

I honestly wouldnt rely on an app for this!

If you are genuinely worried, and feel breathless and your heart is racing, go back to your GP and ask for a referral for an ECG.

juniper9 Wed 03-Apr-13 16:13:14

Asking here because of the traffic... sorry.

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and recently I've been feeling very light headed and woozy, especially after any form of exercise (ie walking). I haven't done anything more strenuous than walking as my heart pounds.

I downloaded a heart rate app a while back and my pulse rate tends to be in the 90s or 100s. Today, I walked for about ten minutes and my pulse went up to 145bpm. After ten minutes of sitting, it was 130bpm.

My GP has dismissed it as my blood pressure was 100/60, which he considers fine, but I'm concerned that my heart is going to explode and make a mess of the wallpaper.

I've called my antenatal team but they operate an answerphone system, and they can take up to 24 hours to respond.

So has anyone else experienced this, and is it something I should push again with my GP or will it sort itself out? I think I might be having a hormone rush this week anyway as a lot of my symptoms have come back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now