To suggest banning those cliquey type threads which don't belong in AIBU?

(175 Posts)
Simontowers1 Wed 03-Apr-13 11:38:54

The ones where anybody new to MN doesn't have a clue what anybody is on about and which aren't really an AIBU but rather a pointless attempt to attract attention/be funny/demonstrate their matey-ness with the rest of the MN clique?
Not saying their isn't a place for such threads just saying shift them off AIBU to stop other users wasting precious seconds of their life clicking. N them.

Simontowers1 Wed 03-Apr-13 11:56:47

No no connection. We threads about threads really banned?

Pagwatch Wed 03-Apr-13 11:58:22

Yes, threads about threads are banned.
Not least because you should say something on the thread you have a problem with really.

Yes they are. If you have something to say about a thread you are supposed to say it on the original one not start another one about it.

PickledInAPearTree Wed 03-Apr-13 12:00:01

Lets just ban threads and spend the afternoon sitting on our fingers.

Maryz Wed 03-Apr-13 12:00:10

And having read through the lier thread, no-one knows what it's about, so anyone new to Mumsnet knows as much as the rest of us grin

tethersend Wed 03-Apr-13 12:01:29

Ah... There you all are!

<air kisses everyone on thread>

SadGiantPanda Wed 03-Apr-13 12:02:07

Yes, even if you just post [sadface] on that thread. Or [displeasedface]. Or maybe even [disgustedofwhereverface]

SuffolkNWhat Wed 03-Apr-13 12:02:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 03-Apr-13 12:03:15

Had a look too - not a fucking clue!

I can't keep up with Mn these days, and when I think I have, I read stuff which makes my head spin and fall off.

SadGiantPanda Wed 03-Apr-13 12:03:37

It's all very tragic. sad

kotinka Wed 03-Apr-13 12:03:42

usualsuspect Wed 03-Apr-13 12:03:48

<pms all my clique>

Simontowers1 Wed 03-Apr-13 12:05:09

Well apologies MNHQ did t realise threads about threads are banned. But if somebody is being stalked that other thread should go. I'm trying to do a public good here. By all means remove this one too.

I'm going try to use plethora in conversation today. Its an awesome word. grin

CadleCrap Wed 03-Apr-13 12:07:26

I think I heard there was a T-Rex!

Viviennemary Wed 03-Apr-13 12:07:58

Well I have sometimes replied in a serious way and then realised it was a thread that only some people understood.

Pagwatch Wed 03-Apr-13 12:08:17

But...but this is my new clique. It can't be deleted.

[sadderest face]

ItsallisnowaFeegle Wed 03-Apr-13 12:08:31

I've been on MN for just over a year, so not new but there are some posters I recognise, some I don't. It's an Internet support forum, therefore people who regularly post on similar threads begin to recognise and build a rapport with others. I wouldn't say that was cliquey, I'd say it's great.

Can't ever remember being told I can't join in a thread & if I've ever been confused about what's going on, I ask. I'm a nosey bastard

I am, however in a quiche of imaginary MN's wink

Join in. That is all.

Pagwatch Wed 03-Apr-13 12:10:14

Vivienemary,
That happens to me all the time.
I very rarely post on threads more than a few posts old now because I can post something and not understand how it has evolved at all

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 03-Apr-13 12:11:07

Public good?
confused.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Wed 03-Apr-13 12:11:10

I find them a bit irritating. If it is obvious from the thread title they are a jokey thread then I don't usually click on them but you can't always tell. I don't mind the funny ones (some are extremely funny) but the ones where it's all 'in' jokes are often a bit tiresome. There are too many of them.

Sometimes they are really funny but I would prefer them not to be in AIBU

grin @ public good.

usualsuspect Wed 03-Apr-13 12:12:51

I'm going out for lunch now [greedyface] Can normal MN be resumed later? My kindle autocorrected greedyface to Greenpeace lol.

Simontowers1 Wed 03-Apr-13 12:13:53

Perhaps this thread will smoke out the clique members

kotinka Wed 03-Apr-13 12:13:56

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now