to feel annoyed at that women in the coffee shop?

(287 Posts)
gabsid Tue 02-Apr-13 19:11:52

Today I sat down at a sofa (2 2-seater sofas) in a busy city coffee shop enjoying my coffee and waiting for DP and DC. A woman with a baby came up to me and asked whether the second sofa was free and I said no since I was waiting - fine. The people on the next sofa just left so she took that seat, when within the next 5 minutes another 3 women with 2 babies arrived!

Had I been by myself I would have offered the sofa and I would have been happy for 2 more people to share my table, but share 2 2-seater sofas with 4 adults and 2 babies? I would have been very annoyed and probably left to find somewhere else to sit. That would have been so rude of them!

Luckily it didn't come to that, but it might have.

CheCazzo Tue 02-Apr-13 19:24:19

<<<arf>>>@ MrsKoala

grin

whattodoo Tue 02-Apr-13 19:24:50

Hang on.

You were enjoying your coffee. Where were DP and DC at this point? Queuing for their beverages (if so, why didn't you pay together).

Or were they not one cafe with you but elsewhere in the city? If the latter, then you had no right to reserve any of the 2seater sofas.

(May be over thinking this a tad).

EllieArroway Tue 02-Apr-13 19:24:55

I was really annoyed because the bloke behind the Tescos checkout might have leered at me and said, "Nice melons, love". He didn't - but imagine if he had?What a wanker angry

Sailormercury Tue 02-Apr-13 19:27:55

Go and make some chamomile tea you poor thing. Here's a liitle something to go with it biscuit. You strange creature.

Ellie, from what I gather, lady with baby asked if sofa was free. OP said no. Lady moved on and sat at another sofa, where she was joined by her friends and babies.

OP was angered that had she have said "yes, use sofa" she would have been surrounded by ladies with babies!

OP, you're being a silly sausage.
No rudeness happened.

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 02-Apr-13 19:29:07

Crying with laughter at some of the responses on here.

KurriKurri Tue 02-Apr-13 19:29:45

The Daily Mail could well be interested in this story, have you got a 'my table was almost sat at' sadface for the photo OP?

Alternatively, try Channel five - they might want to include your anecdote in their upcoming documentary 'Sofa Woman: My life in the Cafe Police'

ihatethecold Tue 02-Apr-13 19:30:41

Ffs. I've had a shit day but obviously now way near as bad as yours could have been

ParadiseChick Tue 02-Apr-13 19:31:23

Hope you're ok op <hugs>

dexter73 Tue 02-Apr-13 19:32:01

EllieArroway - I would report him just in case he doesn't do it to another lady at Tesco. You would never forgive yourself if you could have stopped him not saying something to someone else sad

ubik Tue 02-Apr-13 19:32:41
LadyBeagleEyes Tue 02-Apr-13 19:32:53

I saw a woman walking her dog today when it did a poo right in the middle of the pavement, imagine how angry I would have been if she hadn't cleaned it up.
But she did.

montage Tue 02-Apr-13 19:35:17

Ah yes OP, it's the "foot in the door sales technique"

A bit like when a chugger says they just want to talk to you for a minute but they are going to follow up that request with one for your bank details.

Imagine what could have happened if a woman and child had asked to sit on the sofa and then the rest of her family from "16 kids and counting" had joined her...you could have really been squashed on that 2-seater sofa then.

LineRunner Tue 02-Apr-13 19:38:15

I am glad you were enjoying your coffee. If you hadn't been enjoying your coffee that would have been an unenjoyable experience for you. I hope this has helped, OP. That'll be $100.

I am waiting for the other woman to post her AIBU about the lone customer in the busy cafe who she thought was hogging two whole sofas to herself but who, it turned out, wasn't.

Peachy Tue 02-Apr-13 19:40:25

I share your pain OP

I walked down a street and someone passed me and didn't push me under a lorry, but might have done.

Then I went to the shop and nobody hit me with a haddock but they MIGHT have done. I am apoplectic with rage that someone may well have even stuffed a raw sausage into my ear whilst singing ABBA songs and dancing an Irish jig wearing only a skinned rabbit.

I mean, they didn't, but they MIGHT HAVE DONE IT

How are people share this planet, eh?

Peachy Tue 02-Apr-13 19:41:13

Dare. How DARE people share this planet. Gah.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 02-Apr-13 19:41:30

Can someone explain please. Is this a joke about some other thread?

coffeeinbed Tue 02-Apr-13 19:42:11

Arf at beast feed

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 02-Apr-13 19:42:47

But just imagine if she HAD sat there, the other mothers would have been there talking about curtains and moaning about the gas man turning up late. Ignored their LOs who would have proceeded to climb all over the OP and then vomited in her mulberry bag. In the panic that ensued one of the children could have been left with the OP who may not have noticed the extra one until dinner this evening and would have had nothing to feed it. She THEN would have had to send her DH to the shop for cow and gates, whilst T-rexing in the aisle, bumped into sharron and fucked her in the photo booth - and the whole sorry affair would have started over again. Meanwhile the OP would have been left at home with a vomit smelling mulberry bag and an extra child.

OldBagWantsNewBag Tue 02-Apr-13 19:44:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grockle Tue 02-Apr-13 19:44:24

confused

Bonkers!

Someone knocked at the door earlier... usually the dog jumps the babygate that keeps her locked in the kitchen & runs & jumps at up the door, barking a lot whilst I remind her to be quiet & sit down. But she didn't jump the gate shock

angry

Oh, now. I think we should all think on. There but for the grace of God go all of us, no? Who amongst us has not been not affected by a similar event that never was?

Maybe we should start a 'Not so Near-miss' helpline. If you have been affected by the issues raised in this thread, call 0800-Utter-Non-Event to share your story.

EllieArroway Tue 02-Apr-13 19:45:28

Ellie, from what I gather, lady with baby asked if sofa was free. OP said no. Lady moved on and sat at another sofa, where she was joined by her friends and babies

Oh, I see. That makes slightly more sense.

Iamsparklyknickers Tue 02-Apr-13 19:47:49

Come back Gabsid, we's just joshing you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now