to think that sanitary towels/tampons should be free?

(144 Posts)
marjproops Tue 02-Apr-13 16:59:09

I mean, we cant help having periods, it happens, nothing we can do about it. 9apart from the pill or a couple of other methods to restrict/stop them, but generally.....

its like with babies theres the choice of pampers (still expensive) or the old fashioned terrys, (and they eventually grow and dont need them any more)but periods cant be helped.

i know there are the cheap supermarket normal flow ones but for heavier the cheapest i could find today was a pack of 10 for £1.99.(and this was in asda) and I get a lot of periods, every few days.

if not entirely free then what?

Theicingontop Tue 02-Apr-13 17:48:05

Genuinely thought 'sanpro' was a brand 'til just now.

blush

MsBella Tue 02-Apr-13 17:49:09

Well I definitely think they should be getting handed out more like condoms! You can buy condoms but you can also get a load of them for free. How about a bowl of free sanitary towels in doctors etc. And schools should give a load of samples out in sex education, different sizes, with/without wings etc. I was using toilet paper for quite a long while when I was an awkward teenager shock

Chocovore Tue 02-Apr-13 17:49:22

Mooncups are a revelation. In think they should be given out free.

Not everyone can use a mooncup.

Petition signed.

InNeedOfBrandy Tue 02-Apr-13 17:51:30

I don't think san pro is a luxury or can only damage our own clothing. It is a necessity and I wonder what would happen if every single woman refused to wear san pro and damaged public stuff like benches or bus seats ect ect.

MsBella Tue 02-Apr-13 17:52:38

Oh and also if anyones interested-
http://freemenstrual.weebly.com/
I got some free softcups -haven't tried em yet

DolomitesDonkey Tue 02-Apr-13 17:55:04

You seem to be paying way over the odds. Why aren't you shopping for deals and bogof? My entire bathroom is furnished by bogof. wink

iZombie Tue 02-Apr-13 17:56:36

I have signed.

marjproops Tue 02-Apr-13 17:58:20

wish I could dolomites but have allergies to a lot of things. as does dc.

and DCs going to start soon too, shes already getting little 'niggles' at 12.

ComposHat Tue 02-Apr-13 18:00:41

VAT free yes...but not free altogether. If you want free towels make your own from old rags

I can't help having crap eyesight but sould I get free glasses?

Bonsoir Tue 02-Apr-13 18:01:59

I cannot help needing to eat and drink and have a roof over my head... but food and shelter are not free.

Life comes with costs. Complain to your parents!

MrsHoarder Tue 02-Apr-13 18:02:50

Brandy I didn't say it was a luxury, its just not the same level of public health problem as unwanted pregnancy. We could all not use loo roll because the government isn't providing it and it would also be unpleasant. Where do you draw the line?

Fanjounchained Tue 02-Apr-13 18:03:17

MsBella just signed up for those freebies, thanks...

I bought a Mooncup a few years back but can't get on with it. It's fine when you're at home and if things get a wee bit messy you're right by a sink and can wash your hands but when I was at work or in a public loo it was a nightmare. Can anyone enlighten me how you go about rinsing it or washing blood off your hands in this situation...I must be missing something really obvious...

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Tue 02-Apr-13 18:05:30

They should be vat free, razors for men and they don't have to shave, but sanitary products are essential.

MrsHoarder Tue 02-Apr-13 18:08:26

Fanjo I wipe both the mooncup and my fingers with loo roll in the cubicle. Obviously hands need washing thoroughly afterwards but there is no visible blood when you leave the cubicle.

Think you're only supposed to do this once without a proper rinsing though.

Scholes34 Tue 02-Apr-13 18:11:36

VAT free yes, absolutely free no. The quality would be crap. Think back to what free NHS specs looked like.

Fanjounchained Tue 02-Apr-13 18:14:02

MrsHoarder I always meant to keep some wipes in my bag for a quick clean up but forgot to. Might give the mighty Mooncup a go again as it seems better than towels. Hate those bloody things but hate tampons even more...

SisterMonicaJoan Tue 02-Apr-13 18:17:24

Petition signed

glossyflower Tue 02-Apr-13 18:20:20

Can you use the mooncup post birth? Just wondering, as most sanitary pads make me sore, especially the ones with the 'waterproofing' finish, and I know you can't use tampons post birth.

DolomitesDonkey Tue 02-Apr-13 18:20:31

Marj - naice products go on bogof too.

MrsHoarder Tue 02-Apr-13 18:23:53

Glossy no and I suspect you really won't want to.

Maternity pads should be ok though, they're intentionally "basic", no ultra-absorbancy, scents or waterproofing.

glossyflower Tue 02-Apr-13 18:24:57

Thanks Mrs you can tell I've never done this baby thing before lol.

pukka84 Tue 02-Apr-13 18:35:00

I have just had a period from hell. Soaking through a super tampon and pad per hour. I managet to get a pack of 48 tampax super plus for £2.75 in superdrug.
But no I do not think they should be free. The nhs simply cannot afford it. Well this was back in feb. So find an offer and stock up.

yaimee Tue 02-Apr-13 18:36:38

Also do 20 for 78p in super and super plus!

EmpressMaud Tue 02-Apr-13 18:37:39

Yes agree, washable sanitary towels and/or mooncups.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now