Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think these comments/photos are attention seeking?

(35 Posts)
BenderLovableRobot Mon 01-Apr-13 23:58:36

For once this is not Facebook - it's Instagram!

A woman I know posts a photo of herself standing in front of a mirror and comments on it saying - my head is too big for my body.

She also posts a photo of just her legs with a gap inbetween with the comment - Forgot to eat again.

(This woman isn't anorexic by the way, she is a very keen skater and surfs too almost every day - she therefore has a good body)

I just think she enjoys people telling her how skinny she looks etc.

Or maybe aibu and just wish I was that skinny wink

She has an eating disorder.

Only people with eating disorders obsess over their "thigh gap". And yes, the "thigh gap" is a Thing. If you Google "thigh", "thigh gap" is the number one suggested search hmm

spanky2 Tue 02-Apr-13 11:42:31

I would instagram my huge thighs with the message , too many pies.wink

digerd Tue 02-Apr-13 11:43:14

A gap between her skinny thighs? That's not attractive and nothing to be envious of, just the opposite.
Don't get it.

NotTreadingGrapes Tue 02-Apr-13 11:45:17

Head too big for body?

it's Natasha Plinkyplonk isn't it?

Snoopingforsoup Tue 02-Apr-13 11:49:30

Classic anorexic trait. It's part of her illness.
Yes, it's annoying but I just ignore.
A woman I know has ME, so I'm always fascinated by her new photo's of her at gigs and posing with cocktails in a bikini in exotic locations.
Odd, annoying - but I don't have that illness so I just look and move on - no comments.

MsBella Tue 02-Apr-13 13:53:55

Assumptions........ just because somebody is thin and knows they are tthin it doesn't mean they have an eating disorder. Just because somebody posts pictures of their body and comments on their thinness does not mean they have an eating disorder.

Oh and calling a thin body 'unnattractive' is the same as calling a chubby body unnattractive ffs

MsBella Tue 02-Apr-13 13:56:06

Also, NO, wanting a thigh gap doesn't mean you have an eating disorder just like wanting a flat stomach doesn't mean you have an eating disorder, come on people!

The thigh gaps can be obtained through exercise such as yoga etc. Not just through starving yourself/having an eating disorder

BenderLovableRobot Tue 02-Apr-13 13:58:45

She has an eating disorder.

Quite rude to state that as a fact.

She's a vegan, goes surfing every morning and the gym every evening and also goes skating inbetween.

She also posts photos of her breakfast of oats with banana slices on top.

You don't need to be incredibly smart to realise that someone is going to be thin if you follow this regime.

I'm also quite certain that the "thigh gap" is a myth. Some peoples thighs will still rub together even at a size 8/6.

BenderLovableRobot Tue 02-Apr-13 13:59:51

Assumptions........ just because somebody is thin and knows they are tthin it doesn't mean they have an eating disorder

Nodding my head in total agreement.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 02-Apr-13 14:05:36

I think it would bother me because I would assume she maybe has an eating disorder and it upsets me to think that people are out there suffering psychological problems.

OP you think she's attention seeking - drawing attention to the fact that she forgot to eat is dodgy - maybe she wants to indirectly tell people

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now