Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask if you would give your nearly 7 month old chocolate?

(114 Posts)

Actual chocolate, not like a jar of chocolate baby pudding. I'm talking chocolate buttons for Easter etc.

confused
I'm just feeling pressured into it right now, and I don't want to but am I being a PFB mother?

It's actually been family doing it. She has biscuits and things, just I am a chocolate addict!

Tethering Mon 01-Apr-13 10:01:21

I didn't give ds chocolate till he was over 2 and only then because I knew his gran and aunts were sneaking him chocolate.

I didn't want him growing up thinking it was a treat to be sneakily eaten so we approached it just like another food and he seems to have quite a balanced approach to chocolate and sweets (unlike me! blush )

GirlOutNumbered Mon 01-Apr-13 10:02:19

My 6 month old has two Easter eggs and some dairy free buttons (he has lactose intolerance)

I gave him one chocolate button yesterday and ate all the rest myself! I have no problem with grandparents buying Easter eggs and him having a little taste. He didn't seem particularly taken with it.

My 3 year old doesnt even like chocolate, he will only eat a little bit of white chocolate! So his Dad has eaten his EAster eggs

ilovepicnmix Mon 01-Apr-13 10:03:06

No. Mine is nearly 9 months and got the cuddly sheep from his Easter egg but not the chocolate.

threesypeesy Mon 01-Apr-13 10:12:28

I did when she was that age she was weaned early due to medical reasons and would only have a couple at a time as part of a healthy diet (all home made food) i go for all in moderation approach

It is one of those things however that it's completely up to the individual parents choice of whether or not they want to add it at that age no right or wrong imo

DS didn't have any chocolate from me until he was 1.
MIL was trying to force feed from about 6 months though angry

Cuddlydragon Mon 01-Apr-13 10:18:18

Nope YANBU. My 9 month old didn't. No biscuits or anything either. They just don't need it and whilst they still don't miss it or feel left out, I won't be giving ice cream, chocolate, cake etc. There is loads of time ahead for all those kind of treats. grin

EeyoresGloomyPlace Mon 01-Apr-13 10:20:06

Dd2 is just over 6 months, ILs bought her a small milky bar egg, I was inwardly a bit confused at the implication I'd let my newly weaned baby have that much unnecessary chocolate, but I just thanked them and let her try a button (which she rejected in favour of her sandwich anyway) and put the rest in my bag so I can scoff it later

Dd1 who is 2.6 otoh has been filled so full of chocolate I could put a ribbon round her and sell her as a Lindt bunny. I don't much like it and I put a stop to it when it became clear she was going to be sick if they allowed her anymore sad They only get to see her a few times a year so that's probably why I'm letting them spoil her. Stick to your guns if its important to you, but remember that a taste of everything won't hurt and might make relations easier.

4 eggs though is totally daft!

katiecubs Mon 01-Apr-13 10:21:27

I gave DS some chocolate to try on his first Easter when he was 8 mo. no harm done but each to their own! I certainly wouldn't have given him any if it wasn't Easter.

SanityClause Mon 01-Apr-13 10:23:53

DD2's first solid food was a chocolate biscuit. She grabbed it out of my hand and stuffed it in between her gums. (She was 6 mo.)

Now, that's what I call BLW!

*Disclaimer - we did replace it for something more suitable wink

SanityClause Mon 01-Apr-13 10:27:49

TBH, if you give her a chocolate button, or a piece that size, she might pull that "lemon" face and spit it out. Then you won't be the nasty mother withholding chocolate - it will be her that doesn't like it. Could be worth a try!

DefiniteMaybe Mon 01-Apr-13 10:36:02

I didn't with ds. He never tasted chocolate until he was 18months and it was strictly rationed for about another year. Now at 4 he is greedy with it. He will scoff and scoff until hes sick. With dd I probably did let her have some. I've never made a big deal of it. If she wants some she can have some. Now at 18 months she can quite happily leave half a pack of her favourite chocolate if she's had enough.
It could well be a difference in personality but I think it is because dd doesn't see it as a rare treat or anything special. I can understand exactly what you're feeling about chocolate but for us it backfired and a more relaxed approach worked best.

IsabelleRinging Mon 01-Apr-13 10:36:08

If you want your baby to experience a wide range of tastes why is it forbidden until older? When I weaned my dd she ate her meals with us and within reason she tried everything we had (except very salty or spicy foods). If we had pasta, so did she, when we had veg, so did she, if we had cake then she had a little bit too, so if we had chocolate she was allowed a little bit as well. A baby has similar tastes to you, if you love eating chocolate and get pleasure from it, so will baby. What is the advantage of delaying the pleasure? I disagree with those that say babies won't like chocolate, I remember giving my dd chocolate for the first time, the pleasure it gave her was VERY evident. She didn't show as much enjoyment when I gave her broccoli for the first time. Babies are like anybody, food is for pleasure as well as nutrition, what is the point of delaying the pleasure? what does it achieve?

Giraffeshoes Mon 01-Apr-13 10:39:42

No, absolutely not. I really don't understand why people think it's appropriate to feed babies rubbish. I would be seriously unimpressed if anyone even attempted to give my 10 month old junk food of any description.

Thurlow Mon 01-Apr-13 10:51:45

No. I'm not precious about food, and I don't want to make any foods 'naughty' but 7mo is very young. We made it to 11mo and DD had a tiny taste at Christmas. She didn't get any Easter eggs, GPs etc know we're not keen on chocolate. However, she does have very tiny little bites if we are eating chocolate or cake around her, more because she wants some of anything we are eating, not just sweet things.

One day they will be figure out that chocolate and sweets are lovely, but as long as they are young enough to still think blueberries are an amazing treat, I don't see the need to introduce chocolate and cake.

PickledInAPearTree Mon 01-Apr-13 10:51:58

No, and I'm really not anal.

I don't see the point really they don't know what it is. I gave ds chocolate first at his second Christmas when he was over 18 mo and he understood it was chocolate & a bit of a treat.

PickledInAPearTree Mon 01-Apr-13 10:53:09

Ds got eggs at that age but I think my family knew he was too young and made it clear I could scarf it grin

Coconutty Mon 01-Apr-13 10:55:59

Mine did have some chocolate buttons and I had not problem with it at all.

Was slightly surprised though when I went to a neighbours house and her 5 month old was propped up with some cushions in the middle of the floor 'eating' a full size mars bar.

Mine had a couple of chocolate buttons at that age, and a year on she still only occasionally has a few. She likes chocolate but would always rather have fruit so we go with that.

I'm also in the everything in moderation camp, but if other people choose not to give chocolate, or anything else, that's up to them.

A mini roll isn't a couple of buttons though, it's far more processed and MUCH bigger, and at that age I wouldn't have given mine cake at all, let alone a mini roll.

All that aside if someone had spoken to me like that I would have 'chilled the fuck' straight out the door with my child firmly under my arm. Of everything that happened, mini roll and all, it is the blatant rudeness and disrespect in that comment that stands out for me.

GummyAdams Mon 01-Apr-13 11:14:56

Somebody at baby group fed my then 7 mo DS chocolate a while ago. He doesn't react well to dairy at all (think painful gas and the runs) and this was milk chocolate, albeit a tiny little bit. The woman just said 'don't tell mummy' and popped it in. I didn't say anything as I knew a tiny bit wouldn't have an effect, but who the hell does that? He could've been allergic or anything!
My ILs, despite knowing about the no-dairy rule, bought him a Milkybar egg and asked hopefully if he'd be 'allowed' to have any. The mind boggles.
Do what you want to do OP wink I reckon some people think you can't possibly have a decent childhood if you're not doped up on sugar half the time. It's hard enough to get some basic nutritious foods into them without filling up on empty calories.

I wouldn't either and I am not at all fussy. DS1 was even weaned at a time when babies started solids at 4 mths so he had been eating quite a while by 7mths. DS2 had barely begun eating at 7 mths so no way would he have got some. Neither had any before their first birthday cakes and weren't fussed then ( it was more for the benefit of the grown ups!) .

To my mind it is just too processed and lacking in nutrients for babies who aren't eating that much.

Thankfully mine weren't given any eggs at that ages or I would have had to eat them wink

woopsidaisy Mon 01-Apr-13 11:23:11

The views here seem to be mostly black or white. You don't have to stop them eating chocolate until they are 10, or stuff them up with bar after bar of chocolate! There is a happy medium imo.
I do as IsabelleRinging. DS3 7mo eats as we eat. He has the same dinner chopped up a bit, and if we have ice cream he has some ice cream. He had a tiny bit of a Milka bunny yesterday.
Do all of you who recoil in horror at a tiny bit of chocolate give your DC fruit? Isn't that full of sugar too?
YABU.

Iwantmybed Mon 01-Apr-13 11:28:17

Nope. DD is the same age OP. I have her eggs to eat on her behalf. Shame grin

HarrySnotter Mon 01-Apr-13 11:30:54

No not at that age. My DCs eat really well and just about everything in moderation but I don't understand the need for giving young babies something so sweet. It certainly won't mean she won't have wide ranging tastes if you delay it til she is a little older.

It's not the sugar but the lack of other nutrients that is the issue.

And for me the quantity of chocolate a barely weaned baby was given - 4 whole eggs. If it were a little packet of chocolate buttons or a really small egg then maybe but when a baby has only been eating a week or 2 giving a them a whole egg just seems weird. Give them a cuddly chick or something, not chocolate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now