To expect dialogue on here to be civil and diplomatic most of the time?

(249 Posts)
cupcakemumma Sun 31-Mar-13 20:30:50

Feeling so sick and tired of many threads on this amazing site being poisoned by unkind responses. There is one thing being direct and all, but seriously, I cannot imagine that the tone used by some MN posters would be used outside outside of this place in the wider world and welcomed. Some people seem to enjoy getting a kick out of speaking to others in an over the top spikey way on here, generating responses picking people's words to pieces like amateur lawyers.

What do you all think, or is it just me? Can't we all just get along and support one another and enjoy each other's company in diplomatic way? What is the point of being on here if time isn't spent being pleasant?

confused

I agree with you cupcake - there's directness and honesty, and then there's the needlessly rude reply that isn't helpful.

I do like 'The Pouncers' too smile

BumpingFuglies Sun 31-Mar-13 21:19:39

Sparkling you were supposed to say "Oh no I didn't" panto style

<disappointed>

Actually OP, I think I see what you mean now.

I'm just getting a bit tired of MN "analysing" itself. There seem to be as many threads about MN as about the very topics it's meant to discuss.

crashdoll Sun 31-Mar-13 21:23:06

It has got very bitchy on here over the last couple of weeks. It's fucking rude to say we want glitter and hugs. hmm There's speaking your opinion and there's jumping on people just to belittle them.

Sorry Bumping. 'IT's BEHIND YOU'. grin

There's a very good how often do you change your pants thread at the moment if anyone feels MN is getting a bit much. grin

cupcakemumma Sun 31-Mar-13 21:27:34

Ohdeariedearieme, thank you for providing an example of the kind of thing my post was about.

What are you on about - Mum/Hun/glitter? I'm discussing in a forum about the manner of debating and discussion, not stopping free speech.

abbyfromoz Sun 31-Mar-13 21:27:40

YADNBU.

Tee2072 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:29:10

"I'm just getting a bit tired of MN "analysing" itself. There seem to be as many threads about MN as about the very topics it's meant to discuss."

This. Can we just stop talking about what MN 'should' be or 'could' be and just let it be?

Yes, people are more direct than they are in real life. Well, not me, I'm this direct in real life. Ask my friends. But, that's the internet, not MN. Whether you think it's words on a screen or not, you can be someone you aren't on the internet. It's the beauty and the curse of the place.

cupcakemumma Sun 31-Mar-13 21:32:13

Crash doll, I have noticed this too. Very much of late.

crashdoll Sun 31-Mar-13 21:33:09

I don't really think it is on for people to tell us what can and cannot be discussed. If you're not interested, don't read!

OhDearieDearieMe Sun 31-Mar-13 21:33:29

Well you didn't let me down on that one at least!

And read Tee's post. Do you really have to analyse everything to death? How is you want people to be? Because you don't want direct or to the point. You don't want hugz and hunz. Oh - you just want it bland and boring and discussing knitted toilet roll covers? Good luck with that.

Dearie - no, but you can have debate without being needlessly insulting, or rude. And that doesn't mean it has to be beige either.

Pagwatch Sun 31-Mar-13 21:39:31

I wish there was more 'don't be so gratuitously rude' posts made on threads where it happens rather than naval gazing tbh.

I think there are some really unpleasant posters - the 'I feel sorry for your children' types annoy me immensely.
But I see more posts complaint about it on separate threads than I see posters challenging it when it happens.

We are all responsible for the tone here.

BumpingFuglies Sun 31-Mar-13 21:39:56

Sparkling Oh no you're not.

OP, I think you are being too idealistic. It's what you make of it and what the whole population make of it. It's self moderating to an extent. Which is not to say that people should be nasty for the sake of it - just that sometimes it happens.

cupcakemumma Sun 31-Mar-13 21:40:29

Tee, what you're saying is a very valid point, not just MN and of course it is a true reflection of the Internet.

crashdoll Sun 31-Mar-13 21:44:54

Did you mean to be so rude? Lots of things get discussed to death, why do you think this topic is so important for you to stick your oar in?

I like healthy debate. Some people are just plain rude, as you evidenced so beautifully.

crashdoll Sun 31-Mar-13 21:45:17

That was to ohdearie

OhDearieDearieMe Sun 31-Mar-13 21:47:18

Yes. I did mean to be so rude. If you think that was rude, really rude, then you'd best stock up on Valium!

crashdoll Sun 31-Mar-13 21:50:44

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

OhDearieDearieMe Sun 31-Mar-13 21:54:27

Oh do calm down crashdoll - it's not like I'm telling you to fuck off or anything. Goodness me!

crashdoll Sun 31-Mar-13 21:55:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Tee2072 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:56:00

greencolorpack Sun 31-Mar-13 21:57:18

I think this thread is not long for this world.

cupcakemumma Sun 31-Mar-13 21:57:56

crashdoll Sun 31-Mar-13 21:59:33

OhDearieDearieMe Sun 31-Mar-13 22:01:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now