To have never done the whole Easter Bunny thing?

(75 Posts)
PenguinBear Sun 31-Mar-13 14:32:23

My fb was plastered with pictures this morning of my friend's posting pictures saying something along the lines of 'Easter Bunny has been'. It looks like Christmas with all the presents and eggs.

We've never done it before, neither dp or I had it frowig up and it's just never been an issue. we've always just bought each of them an egg and that was that.

AIBU to not 'do' the Easter Bunny? If FB is anything to go by, I'm the only one not doing a big song and dance like Christmas. hmm

queencat Sun 31-Mar-13 15:32:53

We never did as children we just got given eggs. Both if my siblings now do it for their kids and actually had a go at me saying your children better not tell our kids it's not real! I'm bloody baffled by the whole thing. I don't give them eggs either other people do but they aren't that fussed by them.

Breezy sorry did you say you have done them or not grin

I think Breezy may have had too much chocolate...

soverylucky Sun 31-Mar-13 15:34:27

Don't worry grow my kids have had loads of fun today without the need for hiding eggs or having an Easter bunny. Just what we do. My parents did the same when we were kids. I never felt I missed out because my friends all did the same.

We just got given eggs as kids. As LO gets older, I'll probably do an 'egg hunt' around the house (and garden, if we ever move somewhere with a garden!), but no stupid "Easter Bunny has left you eggs" shite.

queencat Sun 31-Mar-13 15:37:57

I don't mean to sound like oh my children aren't that fussed in an aren't they great way. They have chocolate most days because of my excellent parenting so until I get the hang of this parenting lark every day is bloody Easter Day.

Mrsrobertduvall Sun 31-Mar-13 15:42:09

Easter Bunny never made it to my home in Sixties Leeds....my dad would have skinned it and put it in a casserole grin

Machli Sun 31-Mar-13 15:49:29

I do it. Egg hunt for little coloured eggs the bunny has left and big ones have appeared when they wake up on Easter Sunday. It was a magical memory from my childhood and I want my dc to have that too.

SunsetSongster Sun 31-Mar-13 15:51:19

I was lucky if I got one egg as a child but DS has been introduced to the Easter Bunny through a Spot book that we were given. The Easter Bunny came this morning to reward DS for doing a poo on the toilet (potty training weekend). Surely that is the true meaning of Easter?

StuntGirl Sun 31-Mar-13 16:00:26

My mum would hide small eggs around our house and garden and we had an easter egg hunt to find our chocolate grin Was brilliant. We used to get told the easter bunny brought them, I believed it as a toddler/small child but not past about the age of 5 or 6.

TheYamiOfYolk Sun 31-Mar-13 16:11:34

When I was little, we hunted for eggs left by the Easter Bunny and the Easter bells. We do the same with the kids. This year we added to the legend by ringing a carrot bell to let the Bunny know that the children had rated breakfast and we're getting dressed.

ImagineJL Sun 31-Mar-13 16:15:30

I'm so glad I've seen this post as I was starting to feel like a freak. We never did Easter bunny stuff when i was a kid, but we didn't do Santa either, so I don't really know what the norm is.

However, I've always known that people believe in Santa, so I've done the Santa thing with my kids. But I had no idea there were children who seriously believed that their Easter eggs were brought to them in the night by a rabbit, until talking to a friend yesterday. So I've asked around, and it turns out most of my friend's kids believe in the Easter bunny. I'm stunned, I just thought it was all a little joke.

Breezy what do you think?

ImagineJL Sun 31-Mar-13 16:16:27

I do an egg hunt for the kids, but they know it's me who does it

Budgiegirlbob Sun 31-Mar-13 16:23:01

We do a hunt for small eggs around the house and garden. We had always assumed that the DCs knew it was us that hid the eggs, and never actually told them that it was the Easter Bunny, but somehow over the years it has developed into the Easter Bunny, my older 2 don't believe in it, but my DD(age 7) absolutely believes in him. Last night she write a note to the bunny to thank him for the eggs!

We also give them an egg each from us, the bunny is not getting all the credit!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 31-Mar-13 16:25:56

I have tears in my eyes here. My phone is the same as Breezy's - the message sits there on the screen looking like it hasn't posted.

JaquelineHyde Sun 31-Mar-13 16:30:41

No Easter Bunny in this house.

Eggs are given by friends and family and that's that.

If the children ask I tell them exactly that but that some families like to pretend the Easter Bunny brings them for fun.

We have an Easter Egg hunt on the bank holiday Monday, an egg and spoon race and a boiled egg rolling race, all accompanied with a light buffet tea party with a few family members.

They love it and get far more excited about that than a bunny leaving a few chocolates for them.

queencat Sun 31-Mar-13 16:53:44

Does the Easter bunny have a story? I mean what's his deal because no one I knew when we were young believed in him so when did he crop up and is he just supposed to leave eggs? Because I missed out on secret wine drinking if he has those requirements as well.

CockyFox Sun 31-Mar-13 16:54:34

We have never done the easter bunny, the have an egg from us, and both sets of grandparents so 3 in total each, the see the before easter then I hide them on the saturday night and leave clues to where they are with a few mini eggs.
I never said there was a bunny but DD came home from pre-school A bit confused saying that Peter Rabbit was bringing her chocolate, I just glossed over it.

NynaevesSister Sun 31-Mar-13 17:38:51

We do an Easter egg hunt in a little wood near us. The kids spent a good hour running around. Is fun! We have never done the Easter bunny thing and I have always been honest about Father Christmas, explaining that he was a real person and was so nice to children that now people do the same on his behalf which is how he can deliver presents at the same time all over the world and why the Santa on the grotto isn't the same as last years Santa.

But the last Christmas son saw Rise of the Guardians and now believes 100% in Santa, the Easter bunny, and Jack Frost and nothing I can say will convince him otherwise. He is 7.

noviceoftheday Sun 31-Mar-13 17:46:45

We do the Easter bunny thing. Dcs don't like chocolate so he brought presents. <shrug>

No, never bothered with the Easter Bunny. We always hid the eggs and had clues etc, but no mythical bunny. I don't know why, because we always did Santa.

noblegiraffe Sun 31-Mar-13 17:56:27

Easter bunny wtf?

There really should be some parenting manual that mentions these things. Hope my 3 year old doesn't think the Easter bunny hates him because grandma brought his egg.

gordyslovesheep Sun 31-Mar-13 17:57:31

Nope never bothered with it - don't even have the kids here today, or tomorrow - they had an egg each on Friday and we had a nice lunch - never ever done anything with the Easter Bunny!

TroublesomeEx Sun 31-Mar-13 19:23:28

I don't do the Easter Bunny either.

That didn't stop DD writing a letter to the Easter Bunny thanking it for the lovely chocolate and the "simbles of new life" grin

PenguinBear Sun 31-Mar-13 19:25:54

Glad it's not just me who doesn't do it. grin

FigAndPear Sun 31-Mar-13 19:38:41

We never had the Easter Bunny when I was small, and neither had dh, so it didn't occur to us to do it for our children. No-one in our area seems to do it either, so mine were never aware of it - until a couple of years ago, when we spent Easter on a group holiday in Morocco. We trekked into the Sahara and camped there the night before Easter. At bedtime, the other parents called us aside for urgent discussion. Turned out that, to preserve the magic for their children (10 and 12), they'd brought chocolate eggs all the way from England, bundled them around in their bags for four days in 35 degree heat, and then trekked them into the desert. They presumed that we had done the same thing.

We hadn't. Our dds had never heard of the Easter Bunny. In the morning I had to explain to them that: (1) the other children would be dining that morning on a sodden brown mess that had repeatedly melted, solidified and melted again; (2) there was none for them; and (3) they had to pretend it had been delivered during the night by a magical rabbit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now