To have never done the whole Easter Bunny thing?

(75 Posts)
PenguinBear Sun 31-Mar-13 14:32:23

My fb was plastered with pictures this morning of my friend's posting pictures saying something along the lines of 'Easter Bunny has been'. It looks like Christmas with all the presents and eggs.

We've never done it before, neither dp or I had it frowig up and it's just never been an issue. we've always just bought each of them an egg and that was that.

AIBU to not 'do' the Easter Bunny? If FB is anything to go by, I'm the only one not doing a big song and dance like Christmas. hmm

Breezy1985 Sun 31-Mar-13 14:48:02

I've always done them an egg hunt but never pretended it was the Easter bunny, my dc have never mentioned about the Easter bunny either.

Breezy1985 Sun 31-Mar-13 14:48:04

I've always done them an egg hunt but never pretended it was the Easter bunny, my dc have never mentioned about the Easter bunny either.

Breezy1985 Sun 31-Mar-13 14:48:04

Breezy1985 Sun 31-Mar-13 14:48:05

Breezy1985 Sun 31-Mar-13 14:48:05

Breezy1985 Sun 31-Mar-13 14:48:06

OhChristHasRisenFENTON Sun 31-Mar-13 14:55:20

I get your point breezy.

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Sun 31-Mar-13 14:55:30

DS only knows about the Easter Bunny because the friggin teachers at nursery have been banging on about it. Both DC were extremely grateful that their breakfast plates this morning featured chocolate (actually DD struggled to eat a mini lindt bunny, so a big egg would have been wasted on her) and didn't care where it came from.

All these people banging on about how they don't mind how many eggs their children get as they spread them out are invariably motivated by their own greed as everyone who says this always puts in brackets something to the effect of (I steal my children's surplus and eat it myself).

When my children are old enough to understand I'll explain to them the various religious (pagan, jewish and christian) origins of Easter and where rabbits tie in. In the mean time I'm not going to use a cute fluffy animal to force sickly sweet crap on my children.

Samu2 Sun 31-Mar-13 15:00:31

Breezy grin

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Sun 31-Mar-13 15:02:48

Oh dear Breezy grin

Do you think breezy has ever done an egg hunt?

wink

DrHolmes Sun 31-Mar-13 15:14:44

I did get Easter Bunny hunts. I thought everyone did actually! They were hidden EVERYWHERE! Even now, if mum is staying over easter she will give me a hunt and i'll find some months later smile I am 26!
We also painted eggs and rolled them down the hill.
I didn't question who the bunny was, all i knew was that he leaves a bunch of eggs and I was happy with that.
My brother and I would search for hours for all the eggs and my parents loved to watch us. I will do it for my kids in years to come.

GrowSomeCress Sun 31-Mar-13 15:18:53

I thought everyone did Easter egg hunts or at least "Easter bunny has been" type thing.

Bit of a shame that some children just pick their own egg from Tesco and it sits there until Sunday - where's the fun in that?!

Pandemoniaa Sun 31-Mar-13 15:20:15

We had Easter egg hunts when I was small and I did the same for the dcs. The Easter Bunny never actually featured though since everyone knew that people brought eggs. So I can't really understand the point of it. Especially as (as has been said upthread) it's hares, not rabbits that are symbolic.

Celticlassie Sun 31-Mar-13 15:21:18

But what IS the Easter Bunny? At least there's some tradition regarding Santa - why would a bunny bring eggs? They don't even LAY eggs! It's all very bizarre imo.

HallelujahHeisRisen Sun 31-Mar-13 15:23:45

perhaps the easter bunny should bring breezy a new phone... hmm

. grin

BanjoPlayingTiger Sun 31-Mar-13 15:25:00

I remember as a kid questioning an Aunt who said that the easter bunny had been and left eggs. My parents didn't do bunny related easter shenanigans. I was most confused by a bunny leaving eggs. Bunnies didn't lay eggs and thefore had no right to be leaving chocolate ones around the place.

We do an Easter egg hunt on Easter Sunday but don't go in for the bunny stuff.

HallelujahHeisRisen Sun 31-Mar-13 15:26:53

as you can probably guess from my nname, we tend to focus on the new life bit of easter and eggs.

BadabingBadabong Sun 31-Mar-13 15:27:05

You don't have to do it but my 4 yr old ds has been counting down for 2weeks how many sleeps till the bunny comes so its been nearly as exciting as Christmas in this house. I hid them all around the house and its been lovely hearing them squeal every time they found a ( very small ) egg.
Loved it. Just creating happy memories for them, no harm in that.

Don't do the Easter bunny, DD1 has never mentioned it.

whyno Sun 31-Mar-13 15:27:31

Like a previous poster, I never had it growing u and wanted DC to have it. Loved how my in laws make it a proper celebration

RainbowsFriend Sun 31-Mar-13 15:27:34

Eggs are a symbol of new life - as Eostre, the hare, is the Goddess of spring and new life - there's your link grin

BadabingBadabong Sun 31-Mar-13 15:28:29

Staunch atheist so Jesus doesn't get a look in, it's all about the bunny!

spottyparrot Sun 31-Mar-13 15:28:53

We always do a hunt for eggs round the garden or house if too cold or wet. Dc both know that eggs were hidden by us and their aunt and uncle. They believe in the tooth fairy and Father Christmas. Aunt (my SIL) told them that easter bunny hid the eggs today but 5yo said "aunty x I know it was you!!" At school, my youngest's class all made paper baskets and when it was playtime the Easter bunny gave them a mini creme egg each. My dd knows it wasn't the bunny but was not remotely bothered either way because she wanted the choc!

retrorita Sun 31-Mar-13 15:32:08

Does anyone know breezys view on this? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now